Take THAT...Bo!

GC - You put it very well. Pelini was a jackass, and there was good cause due to all of the above to let him go.

The biggest question to me is, was Riley the best we could do in the calendar year of 2014? If that's really the case, it's depressing. So maybe waiting another year for The Guy might have been wise in the medium term outlook. That's what's on my mind currently. I don't despise Riley, I don't want him fired tomorrow. I just think it's relatively obvious that his resume lacks the luster to make one think that he can bring championship football back to Lincoln.

Riley wasn't the best we could do. Eichorst had his eyes set on him after a coaching search at South Carolina 10 years ago, and didn't consider any other candidate. There were even rumors that Jim McElwain's agent tried to call Nebraska about the coaching job, but didn't get his call returned. So thanks to Eichorst we are stuck with a Marc Trestman/Glen Mason clone

I debate it.

Pelini's sideline behavior was clean in '13 and '14 (and really had improved greatly before that and since ATM). Please point to examples where it wasn't.

I also disagree that people thought poorly because of NU based on Pelini. I never had people express that to me, and I travel extensively for work. Most thought he ranged from "old school" to "short/hot tempered." But you know what? Several of the best coaches are.

As far as "routine embarrassment," I agree there were bad losses 1 time per year (and often close games with good opponents). But I wouldn't consider that routine and I'd take that over 3-6 and future seasons of up and down .500 results.

I'd love to know how his players meeting recording played into his firing, though... that logic should be interesting.

Personally, I never really liked Bo's style, going back to his time as DC. However, I recognize that he's a very good (potentially great) coach who had to coach within his own personality. And these relatively minor personality "shortcomings" aren't really material to me as long as your heart is in the right place.

For example, I'm also not a big fan of Saban's demeanor, but I don't hold it against him or Harbaugh or the other examples we could name. ON the toher hand, I hate how he treats his recruits/players and I would not accept at NU regardless of championships. Nonetheless I recognize that he's a great coach and I really don't care if he has mean face on the sideline or calls out fair weather fans (another thing Saban has blatantly done in press conferences, where he also attacks the press) if he's treating his players the right way.

Do you not remember the '13 hat throwing, spit-spewing incident against Iowa? I do. I also remember this incident against Miami.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/week-4-replay-reviews-official-calls-mike-pereira-092014

I think you're choosing to ignore just how vitriol BP was on the sidelines.

As far as the national perception, that's all subjective. I too travel routinely for my work, and my work regularly involves interaction with media personalities in sports and news. Over the last 5-6 years, I've had more people than I can count tell me they didn't think BP set a good example for the program. Clearly, we traveled to some very different areas and met some very different people. Have I had people that said they liked him? Yes. I'll admit that.

I guess we also have very different understandings of the word routine, as well. Its defined a sequence of actions regularly followed - we got blown out by Wisconsin 3 times in four years, we got boat-raced by MSU in 2014 save a near miraculous comeback, UCLA and MSU embarrassed us at home in 2013, Ohio State destroyed us in 2012. Embarrassing losses on the national stage happened every single year, aka, they were a routine. I'm dumbfounded you would argue that otherwise.

I also didn't mean to say the school meeting played into his firing. My overall point was that he had numerous incidents where he embarrassed himself and the program. How do you not see this?

To be honest, nobody would really care (myself included) if BP had been unfriendly on the sidelines but won conference titles. But, he didn't, which means we had no reason to put up with attitude.

I debate it.

Pelini's sideline behavior was clean in '13 and '14 (and really had improved greatly before that and since ATM). Please point to examples where it wasn't.

I also disagree that people thought poorly because of NU based on Pelini. I never had people express that to me, and I travel extensively for work. Most thought he ranged from "old school" to "short/hot tempered." But you know what? Several of the best coaches are.

As far as "routine embarrassment," I agree there were bad losses 1 time per year (and often close games with good opponents). But I wouldn't consider that routine and I'd take that over 3-6 and future seasons of up and down .500 results.

I'd love to know how his players meeting recording played into his firing, though... that logic should be interesting.

Personally, I never really liked Bo's style, going back to his time as DC. However, I recognize that he's a very good (potentially great) coach who had to coach within his own personality. And these relatively minor personality "shortcomings" aren't really material to me as long as your heart is in the right place.

For example, I'm also not a big fan of Saban's demeanor, but I don't hold it against him or Harbaugh or the other examples we could name. ON the toher hand, I hate how he treats his recruits/players and I would not accept at NU regardless of championships. Nonetheless I recognize that he's a great coach and I really don't care if he has mean face on the sideline or calls out fair weather fans (another thing Saban has blatantly done in press conferences, where he also attacks the press) if he's treating his players the right way.

Do you not remember the '13 hat throwing, spit-spewing incident against Iowa? I do. I also remember this incident against Miami.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/week-4-replay-reviews-official-calls-mike-pereira-092014

As far as the national perception, that's all subjective. I too travel routinely for my work, and my work regularly involves interaction with media personalities in sports and news. Over the last 5-6 years, I've had more people than I can count tell me they didn't think BP set a good example for the program. Clearly, we traveled to some very different areas and met some very different people. Have I had people that said they liked him? Yes. I'll admit that.

I guess we also have very different understandings of the word routine, as well. Its defined a sequence of actions regularly followed - we got blown out by Wisconsin 3 times in four years, we got boat-raced by MSU in 2014 save a near miraculous comeback, UCLA and MSU embarrassed us at home in 2013, Ohio State destroyed us in 2012. Embarrassing losses on the national stage happened every single year, aka, they were a routine. I'm dumbfounded you would argue that otherwise.

I also didn't mean to say the school meeting played into his firing. My overall point was that he had numerous incidents where he embarrassed himself and the program. How do you not see this?

To be honest, nobody would really care (myself included) if BP had been unfriendly on the sidelines but won conference titles. But, he didn't, which means we had no reason to put up with attitude.

I have zero respect for the position expressed in your last paragraph.

Im a few days late to this thread but I think we can agree that Bo was a decent HC for it being his first shot at being the head man. He had a lower ceiling but a higher floor. It was his first HC job at any level. Was he a great human being we all wished he would've been? No. But I guarantee you if he had won some conference titles and maybe a Rose Bowl or two, most would've been fine with his sideline antics or his sorry not sorry crap for the taped fit that came out.

I debate it.

You've been allergic to the truth on almost every post. No surprise.

• Fire 1

I debate it.

That's because you lack understanding.

The reason a lot of people don't care about Nick Saban throwing a tantrum on the sidelines (as he routinely does, similar if not worse to what Bo did) is because he wins. Same with Brian Kelly. Same with a lot of coaches. If you win, the attitude comes off as passion. If you lose, it comes off as anger. Is it fair? Not necessarily. Is it accurate? Unequivocally.

Furthermore, I am not excusing the behavior or saying I'm excusing the other behavior he showcased off the football field. He needed to stop acting like a child regardless of his win/loss record. But, I can almost guarantee you the sideline issues and general behavior would not have been as big of an issue as it was if BP was winning titles.