Nebraska vs Purdue (talent discussion)

We started 6 guys without a single power 5 offer on Saturday...

Why does this not matter to people?

Not quite sure...we don't have a guy that carries the team like we have had during all 7 of Bos years. In these close losses I would imagine adding a Helu, Burkhead or Abdullah swings those to Ws this season offensively. On defense if you add a Suh, David, Amukamara, Dennard or Gregory things go a bit different. We lack difference makers that we have had to rely on.

• Fire 3

Because most people realize the coaching sucks and aren't trying to drag players through the mud to defend poor coaching.

I'm not dragging them through the mud.

They're not playing very well. There are reasons for that. I'm trying to determine what those reasons are and how much you attribute to coaching.

At this point, it's very difficult for me to act like most of you by laying it all at the feet of the coaches and firing people.

Players play how they are coached, or they shouldn't be on the field.

That's the easiest thing to say.

How does a coach go about doing this? Please explain. I'm trying to get a grasp on this mindset.

So they're being coached not to execute? Or are they not executing because these coaches have not been doing their jobs for the last ten months?

So when a player isn't executing, you bench him and put in another player that you've seen in practice executes possibly even worse? Or how does that work? Is that fair to the overall team, or does that not matter?

The refusal to rotate the offensive line, and the blatant lie from Banker about "adjusting what we do" to help the secondary, and our mind boggling offensive gameplan says everything I need to know.

I think the players have lost faith in the staff after a bunch of questionable decisions, because they don't believe in what they're being taught.

• Fire 1

Not quite sure...we don't have a guy that carries the team like we have had during all 7 of Bos years. In these close losses I would imagine adding a Helu, Burkhead or Abdullah swings those to Ws this season offensively. On defense if you add a Suh, David, Amukamara, Dennard or Gregory things go a bit different. We lack difference makers that we have had to rely on.

Well, we do have a Newby, Ozigbo, and Wilbon, but they don't get a shot because the staff wants to throw it 48 times a game. Kinda silly to complain about a lack of playmakers at RB when they don't get a real shot.

• Fire 1

Because most people realize the coaching sucks and aren't trying to drag players through the mud to defend poor coaching.

They're not playing very well. There are reasons for that. I'm trying to determine what those reasons are and how much you attribute to coaching.

At this point, it's very difficult for me to act like most of you by laying it all at the feet of the coaches and firing people.

So you think the players all of a sudden got worse? There's no major difference in overall talent this year compared to the last 7 years.

And don't start naming Suh and Abdullah as some kind of magic talent that the team doesn't have now. Suh didn't do much under Callahan. Abdullah wasn't destined to be a surefire star in his first two seasons. Over the last 7 years, players emerged as valuable players due to coaching. None are emerging this year. In fact many, like Gerry, Davie, Armstrong and the entire OL seem to be regressing. That is all coaching.

• Fire 1

So you think the players all of a sudden got worse? There's no major difference in overall talent this year compared to the last 7 years.

And don't start naming Suh and Abdullah as some kind of magic talent that the team doesn't have now. Suh didn't do much under Callahan. Abdullah wasn't destined to be a surefire star in his first two seasons. Over the last 7 years, players emerged as valuable players due to coaching. None are emerging this year. In fact many, like Gerry, Davie, Armstrong and the entire OL seem to be regressing. That is all coaching.

We don't have a Suh or Abdullah type this season and it shows

• Fire 2

How does a coach go about doing this? Please explain. I'm trying to get a grasp on this mindset.

So they're being coached not to execute? Or are they not executing because these coaches have not been doing their jobs for the last ten months?

So when a player isn't executing, you bench him and put in another player that you've seen in practice executes possibly even worse? Or how does that work? Is that fair to the overall team, or does that not matter?

It's the coach's job to get the players to execute. The first thing he has to do is motivate them to want to do everything necessary to win, and everything possible to get better. Then it's easy. If you can't do that, it's really hard.

You're seeing coaches who have no ability to get inside their players and motivate. It's as simple as that.

It's the coach's job to get the players to execute. The first thing he has to do is motivate them to want to do everything necessary to win, and everything possible to get better. Then it's easy. If you can't do that, it's really hard.

You're seeing coaches who have no ability to get inside their players and motivate. It's as simple as that.

We have a divided locker room. We have since day 1

• Fire 1

We don't have a Suh or Abdullah type this season and it shows

We have plenty with that potential, and a few would've emerged with decent coaching. Just like they have every year for the past 7.

Well, we do have a Newby, Ozigbo, and Wilbon, but they don't get a shot because the staff wants to throw it 48 times a game. Kinda silly to complain about a lack of playmakers at RB when they don't get a real shot.

Yeah this staff has done a poor job of maximizing the roster.

There are some talent limitations but this staff hasn't done a good job of playing to the strengths of the roster and hiding the weaknesses.

I thought stars (or lack of) did not matter?

I don't think you can have it both ways...

If you really think Purdue had better talent on the field you must also think that Coach Riley is going to get a few "Coach of the Year" awards for managing to get 3 wins with a team filled of players that basically less athletic than Steven hawking.

• Fire 2