Nebraska vs Purdue (talent discussion)

From the thread about B1G West talent last week

We are basically even with Purdue on the 2 deep

Rankings.png

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77151-unsportsmanlike-conduct20151027how-talented-is-nebraska/

But this is Nebraska! And we should be better for some reason! Talent, execution, and making plays doesn't matter! A coach should be able to pull it out of his ass and put it on the field because we wear RED and an N on our helmets! Ten months is long enough to get it done!

So stupid.

This gets used to much and IMO is a BS comment. It has that entitlement feel to it and honestly, we aren't entitled to jack sh#t. We should earn it.

I hope you caught the sarcastic intent because that's hardly how I feel, but I know a good majority of our entitled fan base feels that way.

Rankings.png

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77151-unsportsmanlike-conduct20151027how-talented-is-nebraska/

But this is Nebraska! And we should be better for some reason! Talent, execution, and making plays doesn't matter! A coach should be able to pull it out of his ass and put it on the field because we wear RED and an N on our helmets! Ten months is long enough to get it done!

So stupid.

This gets used to much and IMO is a BS comment. It has that entitlement feel to it and honestly, we aren't entitled to jack sh#t. We should earn it.

I hope you caught the sarcastic intent because that's hardly how I feel, but I know a good majority of our entitled fan base feels that way.

I caught it...Made me chuckle.

I just hate that some think we are "entitled" to this or that because we are Nebraska. Nebraska got to where they are at tradition wise because they worked their asses off. It seems in this day and age, no one wants to do that anymore. They just feel that they should have it given to them.

Or are they not capable? It looks to me like we struggle in some very basic aspects on a regular basis. Most good teams don't struggle on the offensive line the way we do. That's very hard to overcome.

If they aren't capable or struggling in a scheme, why in the world would you continue to stick with something that isn't working? A large part of coaching is finding something that works and putting players in the best position to succeed. I'm not seeing that at all. Throwing 48 times with ANY QBs currently on the roster is a really good way to lose a game. They weren't recruited to sling it all over the field, so why do we continually do it? Why not create a run heavy game plan one week to see how it works? It's not like there is a lot to lose at this point.

The o-line is a total joke this year. I have seen three o-linemen consistently whiff blocks or just get flat out dominated, yet there isn't even an attempt to switch it up to see if a different combination works better. Am I to believe these things don't happen in practice? I have a really hard time believing that these things only happen on game day.

• Fire 1

Or are they not capable? It looks to me like we struggle in some very basic aspects on a regular basis. Most good teams don't struggle on the offensive line the way we do. That's very hard to overcome.

If they aren't capable or struggling in a scheme, why in the world would you continue to stick with something that isn't working? A large part of coaching is finding something that works and putting players in the best position to succeed. I'm not seeing that at all. Throwing 48 times with ANY QBs currently on the roster is a really good way to lose a game. They weren't recruited to sling it all over the field, so why do we continually do it? Why not create a run heavy game plan one week to see how it works? It's not like there is a lot to lose at this point.

The o-line is a total joke this year. I have seen three o-linemen consistently whiff blocks or just get flat out dominated, yet there isn't even an attempt to switch it up to see if a different combination works better. Am I to believe these things don't happen in practice? I have a really hard time believing that these things only happen on game day.

I don't wholly disagree with you. We seem to be in between what we want to be and what we actually can be. It just doesn't seem like we are good at much of anything. That can never be entirely on a coaching staff. Especially not in their first year here, at least, not in my opinion.

So we lambster Bo for saying guys weren't executing (I don't think he ever called out a specific player) and that's BS because you shouldn't hang kids out there like that. But it's ok if the fans do it...

Honestly there should have been some improvement with this team, but they have regressed almost every week. We see the same issues we saw in week one. And basic game managment errors in 3 games (even 4 games if you count the idiotic passing at Minny). These coaches are either clueless or full of sh#t. They talked about developing a run game, and coaching to players strengths in the off season. Yet all the reports indicated that they rep'ed the passing game much more than the run game in pre season, and they make a 2nd string, never started, QB sling the ball around before the game is even out of hand.

I hope they're clueless... I can for give ignorance, but not a f'ing liar.

• Fire 2

Good God, you seriously sound like you're OKAY with everything. Like we should be okay with 2 more seasons of this. How long do we give this staff, and why do you think they'll produce any better results than what we're seeing?

It's realistic to believe with fewer of the upperclassmen that are currently causing the locker room issues as well as better depth across the board you will see improvement starting next season. If we are below 500 next season you have to fire them all including SE.

• Fire 1

Good God, you seriously sound like you're OKAY with everything. Like we should be okay with 2 more seasons of this. How long do we give this staff, and why do you think they'll produce any better results than what we're seeing?

It's realistic to believe with fewer of the upperclassmen that are currently causing the locker room issues as well as better depth across the board you will see improvement starting next season. If we are below 500 next season you have to fire them all including SE.

It's also realistic to believe a career .500 coach, who's team has regressed almost every week, shows meager recruiting to this point, and can't seem to utilize/recognize what talent he has won't make much improvement.

• Fire 1

So we lambster Bo for saying guys weren't executing (I don't think he ever called out a specific player) and that's BS because you shouldn't hang kids out there like that. But it's ok if the fans do it...

Honestly there should have been some improvement with this team, but they have regressed almost every week. We see the same issues we saw in week one. And basic game managment errors in 3 games (even 4 games if you count the idiotic passing at Minny). These coaches are either clueless or full of sh#t. They talked about developing a run game, and coaching to players strengths in the off seaso. Yet all the reports indicated that they rep'ed the passing game much more than the run game in pre season, and they make a 2nd string, never started, QB sling the ball around before the game is even out of hand.

Yeah buddy. The coaching staff likes to say they want to run, but their actions don't really support it. Not using a running back because they aren't good at pass protection doesn't really support it. Not using a lineman because they aren't good at pass protection really doesn't support it. Running right at Reeves' ass just about every run play against a stacked box doesn't really support it. Reports indicating that passing was more of a focus in pre-season doesn't support it.

I don't pay attention to star rankings. Could give a sh#t less. Four or five shiny stars beside your name doesn't make you a good football player at this level. It makes you a good football player in high school.

Exactly this!!... x 1 kabillion!

If it all it took was recruiting 5 star high school athletes to guarantee success, then all any school would need is two or three great recruiters and then they could save a shi!t ton of money in coaching salaries by having a couple of Recreational Sport grads to run the team from the moment they step on campus right up on through game day...right?...because 5 stars!

Honestly there should have been some improvement with this team, but they have regressed almost every week. We see the same issues we saw in week one. And basic game managment errors in 3 games (even 4 games if you count the idiotic passing at Minny). These coaches are either clueless or full of sh#t. They talked about developing a run game, and coaching to players strengths in the off season. Yet all the reports indicated that they rep'ed the passing game much more than the run game in pre season, and they make a 2nd string, never started, QB sling the ball around before the game is even out of hand.

I hope they're clueless... I can for give ignorance, but not a f'ing liar.

And if Riley's team looks like this in year seven and Riley turns into a nostril flaring ass on the sideline, I'll expect him to be fired as well.

If we fire him now it just shows our leadership has bought into the overreaction of this fan base, which should never happen. Got to be smarter than a typical football fan to run a program.

Rankings.png

Are people stupid enough to believe Wisconsin is the 5th most talented team in the division? They have a strong walk on program, like Nebraska, and sometimes those walk ons beat higher rated players out. Iowa has a lot of walk ons as well.

• Fire 1

And if Riley's team looks like this in year seven and Riley turns into a nostril flaring ass on the sideline, I'll expect him to be fired as well.

If we fire him now it just shows our leadership has bought into the overreaction of this fan base, which should never happen. Got to be smarter than a typical football fan to run a program.

Pelini got to year 7 because his teams were never as bad as Riley's year 1. And obviously Riley's year 1 is HISTORICALLY bad. Probably wouldn't hurt Riley to flare a nostril......plenty in Huskerland saying he looks lost.

• Fire 1