Nebraska vs Purdue (talent discussion)

We started 6 guys without a single power 5 offer on Saturday...

Why does this not matter to people?

Because most people realize the coaching sucks and aren't trying to drag players through the mud to defend poor coaching.
I'm not dragging them through the mud.

They're not playing very well. There are reasons for that. I'm trying to determine what those reasons are and how much you attribute to coaching.

At this point, it's very difficult for me to act like most of you by laying it all at the feet of the coaches and firing people.

So you think the players all of a sudden got worse? There's no major difference in overall talent this year compared to the last 7 years.

And don't start naming Suh and Abdullah as some kind of magic talent that the team doesn't have now. Suh didn't do much under Callahan. Abdullah wasn't destined to be a surefire star in his first two seasons. Over the last 7 years, players emerged as valuable players due to coaching. None are emerging this year. In fact many, like Gerry, Davie, Armstrong and the entire OL seem to be regressing. That is all coaching.

We don't have a Suh or Abdullah type this season and it shows

So we need top talent to cover up bad coaching?

Because most people realize the coaching sucks and aren't trying to drag players through the mud to defend poor coaching.

They're not playing very well. There are reasons for that. I'm trying to determine what those reasons are and how much you attribute to coaching.

At this point, it's very difficult for me to act like most of you by laying it all at the feet of the coaches and firing people.

So you think the players all of a sudden got worse? There's no major difference in overall talent this year compared to the last 7 years.

And don't start naming Suh and Abdullah as some kind of magic talent that the team doesn't have now. Suh didn't do much under Callahan. Abdullah wasn't destined to be a surefire star in his first two seasons. Over the last 7 years, players emerged as valuable players due to coaching. None are emerging this year. In fact many, like Gerry, Davie, Armstrong and the entire OL seem to be regressing. That is all coaching.

It is clear...talent is the key...so please please please Riley...GET ON IT! Hire ace recruiters!

We have had it for the past 7 years to cover up poor roster management and severe talent deficiencies. We are now seeing what happens when you have a starting line up that has less star power and similar power 5 offer averages to purdue looks like. You add that up with a divided locker room and coaching can only do so much IMO.

• Fire 2

We have had it for the past 7 years to cover up poor roster management and severe talent deficiencies. We are now seeing what happens when you have a starting line up that has less star power and similar power 5 offer averages to purdue looks like. You add that up with a divided locker room and coaching can only do so much IMO.

Why are you so desparate to find excuses for our high paid coaching flops?

We're going to finish 3-9 this year. In 126 years of Husker football, that is the most losses in a season. Ever. Let that sink in. We didn't all of a sudden go from 9 win talent to 9 loss talent in the offseason.

There is a very simple and obvious answer to your concerns.

• Fire 2

Then perhaps if we're worried about having a no-star QB we shouldn't have called 50+ pass plays and relied more on our 4* RBs

What? That is crazy talk! I say pass more from your own endzone! I guess you did not notice Eli Manning's completion % last season.

You're right. It is all opinion.

From the thread about B1G West talent last week

We are basically even with Purdue on the 2 deep

Rankings.png

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77151-unsportsmanlike-conduct20151027how-talented-is-nebraska/

But this is Nebraska! And we should be better for some reason! Talent, execution, and making plays doesn't matter! A coach should be able to pull it out of his ass and put it on the field because we wear RED and an N on our helmets! Ten months is long enough to get it done!

So stupid.

I'm so tired of reading about talent and "wait till he gets his guys here". Why? Will he be able to finally beat the Illinois and Purdue recruiting juggernauts of the world? I understand why we ended up passing late in the game, but I think they threw it around 20-25 times in the first half. Seems like a great idea with a backup QB that had never started and didn't even have 20 career passes prior. Run the ball. Is the run game working well now? No, but neither is passing it all over the field every game. Cater the scheme to the players currently on the team. Isn't that what we heard both Riley and Langsdorf say in numerous interviews before the season? Didn't we see a bunch of running during the spring game? What happened to that?

Week after week, it doesn't look like this team is ready to execute the game plan. It almost looks like they show up that day and say, "Okay, who are we playing today? Purdue? Cool, let's go out there and see what happens." Obviously this is ridiculous, but it honestly looks like that to me. Players consistently blowing coverages, missing blocks, missing tackles, and I find it hard to believe that this is ONLY happening on game day.

And many of you may not believe in recruiting rankings, and that's fine, but there's a reason why teams that recruit well have good teams that win a lot. There's a direct correlation. Are there recruiting misses? Sure, but to poo poo it because not EVERY single player highly ranked turned out to be good is absurd (likewise when low ranked players turn out to be really good). It doesn't end there though. Once the good players come into the program they have to be coached. Florida recruited well under Muschamp, but weren't ever really good. Florida hires a good coach and suddenly they are playing well. Ohio St has been decent and have recruited really well. They bring in a great coach and they have hardly lost a game since his arrival. Michigan is similar to Florida. Good recruiting and they bring in a coach and they have been playing well this year. Nebraska brings in a .500 coach and well, you have seen the results. Nebraska isn't even close to being as talent rich as Florida, Ohio St, or Michigan, but come on. Are you honestly going to say that we don't have more talent than a majority of the Big Ten West with a straight face? I supported Bo being fired, but I almost wish there was an alternate universe which we could see the results if Bo was still the head coach of Nebraska. I would be willing to bet that we wouldn't be 3-6 and would most likely be in the hunt for the West.

I did not like this hire from the beginning, but then bought in during the off season. I wanted to believe. I really did, but there is nothing I have seen that gives me hope for the future. Players look like they are actually regressing rather than getting better as the season goes forward. Each week, the opponent's QB has his best game of the year. Purdue scored 55 points. 55. They haven't scored that many points in all of their conference games combined this year. There's a reason why they were 6-26 since 2013. They are a bad team with below average talent. Nothing changed this year either, yet Nebraska made them look like a world beater.

Sorry for the long post, but the "is x team more talented than Nebraska" threads are getting ridiculous. We are competing in the Big 10 West that has recruited average to below average talent the last four years, yet they are making Nebraska their bitch week in and week out.

From the thread about B1G West talent last week

We are basically even with Purdue on the 2 deep

Rankings.png

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77151-unsportsmanlike-conduct20151027how-talented-is-nebraska/

But this is Nebraska! And we should be better for some reason! Talent, execution, and making plays doesn't matter! A coach should be able to pull it out of his ass and put it on the field because we wear RED and an N on our helmets! Ten months is long enough to get it done!

So stupid.

This gets used to much and IMO is a BS comment. It has that entitlement feel to it and honestly, we aren't entitled to jack sh#t. We should earn it.

I'm so tired of reading about talent and "wait till he gets his guys here". Why? Will he be able to finally beat the Illinois and Purdue recruiting juggernauts of the world? I understand why we ended up passing late in the game, but I think they threw it around 20-25 times in the first half. Seems like a great idea with a backup QB that had never started and didn't even have 20 career passes prior. Run the ball. Is the run game working well now? No, but neither is passing it all over the field every game. Cater the scheme to the players currently on the team. Isn't that what we heard both Riley and Langsdorf say in numerous interviews before the season? Didn't we see a bunch of running during the spring game? What happened to that?

Week after week, it doesn't look like this team is ready to execute the game plan. It almost looks like they show up that day and say, "Okay, who are we playing today? Purdue? Cool, let's go out there and see what happens." Obviously this is ridiculous, but it honestly looks like that to me. Players consistently blowing coverages, missing blocks, missing tackles, and I find it hard to believe that this is ONLY happening on game day.

And many of you may not believe in recruiting rankings, and that's fine, but there's a reason why teams that recruit well have good teams that win a lot. There's a direct correlation. Are there recruiting misses? Sure, but to poo poo it because not EVERY single player highly ranked turned out to be good is absurd (likewise when low ranked players turn out to be really good). It doesn't end there though. Once the good players come into the program they have to be coached. Florida recruited well under Muschamp, but weren't ever really good. Florida hires a good coach and suddenly they are playing well. Ohio St has been decent and have recruited really well. They bring in a great coach and they have hardly lost a game since his arrival. Michigan is similar to Florida. Good recruiting and they bring in a coach and they have been playing well this year. Nebraska brings in a .500 coach and well, you have seen the results. Nebraska isn't even close to being as talent rich as Florida, Ohio St, or Michigan, but come on. Are you honestly going to say that we don't have more talent than a majority of the Big Ten West with a straight face? I supported Bo being fired, but I almost wish there was an alternate universe which we could see the results if Bo was still the head coach of Nebraska. I would be willing to bet that we wouldn't be 3-6 and would most likely be in the hunt for the West.

I did not like this hire from the beginning, but then bought in during the off season. I wanted to believe. I really did, but there is nothing I have seen that gives me hope for the future. Players look like they are actually regressing rather than getting better as the season goes forward. Each week, the opponent's QB has his best game of the year. Purdue scored 55 points. 55. They haven't scored that many points in all of their conference games combined this year. There's a reason why they were 6-26 since 2013. They are a bad team with below average talent. Nothing changed this year either, yet Nebraska made them look like a world beater.

Sorry for the long post, but the "is x team more talented than Nebraska" threads are getting ridiculous. We are competing in the Big 10 West that has recruited average to below average talent the last four years, yet they are making Nebraska their bitch week in and week out.

We've been in close games with or even lost to many of these same Big 10 West teams the last four years.

'm so tired of reading about talent and "wait till he gets his guys here". Why? Will he be able to finally beat the Illinois and Purdue recruiting juggernauts of the world?

I'm assuming that's the plan?

Most coaches get a chance to recruit to their schemes and their plan. We are running very different systems than the previous staff. The team we have now is not looking very good at executing those schemes. Hell, they didn't look very good in some of the very same aspects for the last five years now......

Week after week, it doesn't look like this team is ready to execute the game plan.

Or are they not capable? It looks to me like we struggle in some very basic aspects on a regular basis. Most good teams don't struggle on the offensive line the way we do. That's very hard to overcome.

I did not like this hire from the beginning, but then bought in during the off season.

This is the real issue. Patience is a lot to ask from someone who wasn't happy from the very beginning. Most of the people complaining now were in the same boat. A lot of people can look at this team now and in the past and see that they've not been much better than the majority of the Big Ten West for quite some time now. Nothing has changed except we've lost a few key playmakers that usually stepped up in some very big moments and turned these close losses into close wins. Unfortunately nobody has stepped into that role, although I think Westerkamp is giving every ounce he's got in trying.