Was I wrong

TGHusker

In 2004 I posted on Huskerpedia that Pedey was risking two decades of wandering in the wilderness and our program turining into Kansas.

11 years later we have nearly arrived...losing to Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, BYU with 10-11 win talent.

Either we fire/hire our way out of this NOW, or this program risks irrelevancy forever.

We already did. This is what year one looks like coming out of the weeds.

• Fire 1

In 2004 I posted on Huskerpedia that Pedey was risking two decades of wandering in the wilderness and our program turining into Kansas.

11 years later we have nearly arrived...losing to Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, BYU with 10-11 win talent.

Either we fire/hire our way out of this NOW, or this program risks irrelevancy forever.

I don't think anyone would argue if you said that we are underachieving. But 10-11 win talent? Really? I would've thought we fell off just a bit, talent wise, from last year's nine win team. And that was before the rash of injuries. Have you looked at this thread lately? LINK

The "fire everyone" crowd doesn't care about facts. "9 wins"!!!@!@?@<>#!@#?! is all they care about. just like their hero Bo.

What you don't seem to understand is that this has NOTHING to do with Pelini. He's gone. Get over him. The rest of us moved on last November. I supported him up until the Minnesota game last year when it was clear it was time to make a change. My support or concern ended right there. We don't want him back, because we needed someone better than him. What we got was a "never-was" career .500 coach that brought a poor cultural fit, a bunch of would-have-been-fired buddy assistant coaches, and a lassez-faire losing mentality. Riley only took this job because he was going to have to fire Banker to keep his job...at OREGON F$CKING STATE!!!

This is about Mike Riley being completely unfit to be head coach at Nebraska, and a tone-deaf administration that valued political appearance over substance and winning football. Losing this team and putting this program at the bottom of the conference is inexcusable. We WILL NOT recover if we allow this to go on any longer.

Inaction is a significantly greater risk than action at this stage. We can call a mulligan and it will be less impact in the long term than than allowing Riley, Eichorst and Perlman to finish off what's left of the program.

You don't seem to realize that this is all part of a mistake made in 2003 by an arrogant chancellor and an even more narcisstic AD. At some point, we have to address the ROOT CAUSE, and this program will not be "right" again until we have actual leadership on "high."

This staff is already a lame duck. No reason to ignore that fact and make the situation worse.

• Fire 3

I really don't want to go over to the dark side. :ahhhhhhhh While I had wished Tom had selected Paul Johnson (GT now but Navy then) over Bo originally, I was fine wt Bo until the

conf championship blow out against Wisc and last year just reinforced the idea it was time for Bo to go. He didn't represent the Univ well. I liked the image of the squeaky clean Riley vs mad Bo, however, we still need results on the field. Yes, I knew there would be season 1 issues but this seems to be out of hand. I know each situation is different - Charlie Strong has had issues at Texas and then we see the turnarounds at Florida and Michigan. I thought we were buying an experienced staff that new how to deal with these transition issues and the game mgmt. issues - neither are encouraging.

Sometimes I think a humble man would say - we made a mistake coming here, and the humble AD (school) would say, we made a mistake thinking you would fit. Shake hands and part ways. Time for NU to pay the money and hire a coach worthy of the tradition. And also a coach who can kick players in the butt who give a half a.. effort. Maybe the MR experiment will work but how long and how big of a price do we pay waiting to see. It took 7 years - way to many wasted with the Bo experience.

I went to the Purdue game and I was blown away with the poor offensive play calling. The wind was blowing pretty good in the stadium and I was dumbfounded as to why they kept throwing the ball. It was obvious from the get go the Boilermakers wanted the game more than we did....I have questioned Langsdorf and his calling all season. I guess the biggest concern is how they cant get the running game going at all. There have been some games where they can run the ball to some effect but when you cant move the ball against Purdue give me a break. They tried using Cross and he gained some good yards when he touched the ball then they go away from it doesn't make sense at all.

Losing your starting RB, and being down by 30+ points, and only getting around 2.2 ypc will do that to a team.

Take out Fyfe's -35 yards rushing, and we averaged a little over 5 ypc. We ran the ball well enough early, especially on the edges.

I'll give you that being down a bunch is a reason to throw more, but we were also down because we gave Purdue short fields off of INTs. Not excusing the defense because they still need to come up with a few stops.

Starting a backup QB with 18 career passing attempts versus the #100 ranked rushing defense on the road? When your team still has a glimmer of hope of making it to a bowl? How many passes do you attempt? If there was a game that should have had an 80/20 run/pass ratio, this was it.

No, but I am happy that we have adults running the program again, and are trying to bring back a culture of accountability and championships. What you fail to understand is that this program was completely void of any culture other than "Us vs Them". If we have to suffer through only 3 wins this season to right this ship and get it going in the correct direction again. Then yes I'm happy with 3 wins. I would rather have that, than a mentally corrupt, sleazebag, non accountable environment that permeated this program for the past 10 years.

Just curious. Where exactly are you seeing accountability?

No, but I am happy that we have adults running the program again, and are trying to bring back a culture of accountability and championships. What you fail to understand is that this program was completely void of any culture other than "Us vs Them". If we have to suffer through only 3 wins this season to right this ship and get it going in the correct direction again. Then yes I'm happy with 3 wins. I would rather have that, than a mentally corrupt, sleazebag, non accountable environment that permeated this program for the past 10 years.

The fact that the team actually had to show up for off season workout was the first proof.

The fact that there have been numerous suspensions for team rules this year is another indicator.

The fact that guys are showing up for "volunteer" workouts (only 50 showed up, but it was mentioned it was the most in years) is another.

The fact that the team actually had to show up for off season workout was the first proof.

The fact that there have been numerous suspensions for team rules this year is another indicator.

The fact that guys are showing up for "volunteer" workouts (only 50 showed up, but it was mentioned it was the most in years) is another.

Get back to us when the players start showing up for the games. I don't care about the above three you listed if with all this extra work equals Purdue putting up a silver dollar on the "black" shirts..

I don't think anyone would argue if you said that we are underachieving. But 10-11 win talent? Really? I would've thought we fell off just a bit, talent wise, from last year's nine win team. And that was before the rash of injuries. Have you looked at this thread lately? LINK

The "fire everyone" crowd doesn't care about facts. "9 wins"!!!@!@?@<>#!@#?! is all they care about. just like their hero Bo.

I care about facts. I care about 9 wins. Apparently you're happy with 3 wins.

If you care about 9 wins you haven't been a fan for very long. When did 9 wins become the barometer for success? Its an arbitrary number that the old staff used as a measuring tool and didn't think they had to worry about their jobs as long as they hit it. 9 wins is irrelevant.

It is far more relevant than 3...

We already did. This is what year one looks like coming out of the weeds.

No. This is what it looks like when you make the wrong coaching hire. Even with Callahan's first year, I didn't necessarily see bad coaching as much as I saw a different philosophy being taught. I am definitely seeing the former as well as terrible coaching which has at a 3-6 record...which is about to get much worse.

What you don't seem to understand is that this has NOTHING to do with Pelini. He's gone. Get over him. The rest of us moved on last November. I supported him up until the Minnesota game last year when it was clear it was time to make a change. My support or concern ended right there. We don't want him back, because we needed someone better than him. What we got was a "never-was" career .500 coach that brought a poor cultural fit, a bunch of would-have-been-fired buddy assistant coaches, and a lassez-faire losing mentality. Riley only took this job because he was going to have to fire Banker to keep his job...at OREGON F$CKING STATE!!!

This is about Mike Riley being completely unfit to be head coach at Nebraska, and a tone-deaf administration that valued political appearance over substance and winning football. Losing this team and putting this program at the bottom of the conference is inexcusable. We WILL NOT recover if we allow this to go on any longer.

Inaction is a significantly greater risk than action at this stage. We can call a mulligan and it will be less impact in the long term than than allowing Riley, Eichorst and Perlman to finish off what's left of the program.

You don't seem to realize that this is all part of a mistake made in 2003 by an arrogant chancellor and an even more narcisstic AD. At some point, we have to address the ROOT CAUSE, and this program will not be "right" again until we have actual leadership on "high."

This staff is already a lame duck. No reason to ignore that fact and make the situation worse.

^100% agree!

I went to the Purdue game and I was blown away with the poor offensive play calling. The wind was blowing pretty good in the stadium and I was dumbfounded as to why they kept throwing the ball. It was obvious from the get go the Boilermakers wanted the game more than we did....I have questioned Langsdorf and his calling all season. I guess the biggest concern is how they cant get the running game going at all. There have been some games where they can run the ball to some effect but when you cant move the ball against Purdue give me a break. They tried using Cross and he gained some good yards when he touched the ball then they go away from it doesn't make sense at all.

Losing your starting RB, and being down by 30+ points, and only getting around 2.2 ypc will do that to a team.

Take out Fyfe's -35 yards rushing, and we averaged a little over 5 ypc. We ran the ball well enough early, especially on the edges.

I'll give you that being down a bunch is a reason to throw more, but we were also down because we gave Purdue short fields off of INTs. Not excusing the defense because they still need to come up with a few stops.

Starting a backup QB with 18 career passing attempts versus the #100 ranked rushing defense on the road? When your team still has a glimmer of hope of making it to a bowl? How many passes do you attempt? If there was a game that should have had an 80/20 run/pass ratio, this was it.

You have to face it Nebraska has no identity you can say take out Fyfe's -35 yards but it still shows up on the stats sheet. Look at the defensive stats for the game look at how many of the secondary made tackles during the game. This says one of two things the ball is getting thrown on them like crazy or the defensive line is getting owned and the back is making it to the second level. You look at the team as a whole-the offensive line looked horrible just about every time Fyfe got the ball snapped to him in the shotgun the snap was high disrupting timing during the play. You look on the defensive side of the ball and just about every time you saw a pass thrown to a Purdue receiver our safety and cornerbacks were 5-7 yards off of the receiver-if this is Banker's way of coaching lookout when MSU and Cook show up to the party. I knew at the beginning of the game when the defensive line jumped offsides on the extra point by Purdue things weren't going to be good-why I felt this way I don't know

I gave Riley and his staff the benefit of the doubt when brought on board...to be honest I was shocked when Pelini was let go but felt he needed to go. When you watch games on television and they interview Barry Alvarez and he said something to the effect of Nebraska has the best facilities in the country other programs are coming here to model their facilities after Nebraska's and you put that product out on the field somethings a miss. You don't have world class facilities and hire a third world country coach!

You have to face it Nebraska has no identity you can say take out Fyfe's -35 yards but it still shows up on the stats sheet. Look at the defensive stats for the game look at how many of the secondary made tackles during the game. This says one of two things the ball is getting thrown on them like crazy or the defensive line is getting owned and the back is making it to the second level. You look at the team as a whole-the offensive line looked horrible just about every time Fyfe got the ball snapped to him in the shotgun the snap was high disrupting timing during the play. You look on the defensive side of the ball and just about every time you saw a pass thrown to a Purdue receiver our safety and cornerbacks were 5-7 yards off of the receiver-if this is Banker's way of coaching lookout when MSU and Cook show up to the party. I knew at the beginning of the game when the defensive line jumped offsides on the extra point by Purdue things weren't going to be good-why I felt this way I don't know

I gave Riley and his staff the benefit of the doubt when brought on board...to be honest I was shocked when Pelini was let go but felt he needed to go. When you watch games on television and they interview Barry Alvarez and he said something to the effect of Nebraska has the best facilities in the country other programs are coming here to model their facilities after Nebraska's and you put that product out on the field somethings a miss. You don't have world class facilities and hire a third world country coach!

I sure can't argue wt the bold. We've invested toooooo much into this program - money, emotion, reputation to let it fall into oblivion like state of the Kansas and Purdue (opps, we're already below Purdue) of the world.

I care about facts. I care about 9 wins. Apparently you're happy with 3 wins.

So-called "adults" that cannot motivate a locker room, cannot manage a clock, cannot gameplan effectively against a bottom 25% run defense, and can't beat a coach that has won only 2 other FBS games?

Sorry, I'd rather have infants with actual coaching acumen and fire than these alleged 'adults' you espouse.

• Fire 3

Anyone who thinks Riley is gunna coach his way into a successful season at NU is just lying to themselves.

We're on the verge of losing 5 games AT HOME. That is asinine. Cally didn't even do that.

People think it's a risk to fire him. Well its an EQUAL risk keeping him here.

I don't think NU can sustain below mediocre performance much longer. We need a guy that is gunna give us hope. Mike Riley never gave ANYONE that real feel of hope.

Sure we bought in because we WANTED to believe he could get it done. But no one really ever felt that he could deep down. If you say you did. You are lying to us, and yourself. In the end the hire was skeptical at best.

• Fire 2