Volkswagen and Nebraska Football

BIG ERN

It's very interesting that such a strong statement from a coaching legend, that actually coaches coaches how to coach. Is getting no play on this message board. This is a statement that most of us on Nuance's island have been saying for a while now.

Outstanding statement from a respected individual within the coaching profession.

The title of the thread doesn't exactly inspire opening it up- unless you already know what's inside. Headlines are tricky! :D

I thought the same thing. I saw the thread earlier today and thought 'oh boy, another analogy thread...', so I ignored it. Saw the same post on Twitter later and I'm kinda bummed I judged the book by the cover now.

So awesome. I wish Pelini had never stepped a foot into this program.

The more people in the know that come forward and call out that piece of sh#t, the better.

It obviously needs to be acknowledged more when you see so many people that seem to just ignore it.

Thank you Mr. Pettit for having the guts to speak the truth.

I said it when he was fired. Was pretty roasted for it. Mainly cuz I compared him to Callahan and Pedersen. And I stick with it.

Riley or not. Bo fist f'd this program more than Pedersen and Callahan ever dreamed.

When it's all said and done, this 3-9 season will be good for the program in the long run. It'll be a nice bold reset of perspective and fundamentals. A cut and dried reason for Riley and crew to put their foot down on the program. I truly believe it's basically just become about getting throught the season while implementing some of their concepts. As far as the fanbase goes, it'll be good for that as well. We will truely find out who the real passionate fans are and who are the coattail nippers who were just along for the ride hoping to get a taste of that 30 year run, and get all pissy and bitter when it doesnt go their way.

The revisionist recollection, hypocrisy, and overreaction i see anymore makes me wanna straight up puke. I seriously didnt know it was possible for a Nebraska "fan" to know this little about football and all the things beyond X's and O's that make a program successful. This program needs a few 3-9 seasons. yes. more than one. Some of us jackass fans need humbled. In a very bad way.

• Fire 5

Hooray Terry! Thank you Terry!

What a great statement! It is too bad the AD didn't lay it all out there for people to see. Now we have the revisionists ignore all that stuff and focusing on the AD's statements about "games that matter" and "players capable" etc.

I'd like to live in a "lay it all out there" world too Kernal, but that is not the world we live in. Spin, half-truths, non-truths, etc., is the world we have. It is what it is. No AD is going to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth in public about a fired coach.

The AD can't lay it all out there, there are legal issues involved with why they can't.

Well that's what I meant: that they didn't feel they had a legal position to spell it out. I mean that's a trade-off anyway, because by doing so you also admit you kept him on for a period of time in spite of the problems.

But I think if the truth were known, people now would be less likely to argue we were doing fine with Mr. #9wins.

Got'cha! :)

• Fire 1

I'm struggling to find any comments from TO following Pelini's firing, either for or against the move. The only thing I've been able to find is a quick Q&A with Omaha.com in relation to the final months of his tenure as AD.

Unless someone can present some definitive proof about how TO felt about BP around the time of BP's firing... put that baby to bed.

• Fire 2

I'm struggling to find any comments from TO following Pelini's firing, either for or against the move. The only thing I've been able to find is a quick Q&A with Omaha.com in relation to the final months of his tenure as AD.

Unless someone can present some definitive proof about how TO felt about BP around the time of BP's firing... put that baby to bed.

That's where I'm at. My comments are an assumption. Based on how I felt about Bo before, and now. And knowing the kind of man TO is. And how he may have felt about Bo before and after.

Hooray Terry! Thank you Terry!

What a great statement! It is too bad the AD didn't lay it all out there for people to see. Now we have the revisionists ignore all that stuff and focusing on the AD's statements about "games that matter" and "players capable" etc.

I'd like to live in a "lay it all out there" world too Kernal, but that is not the world we live in. Spin, half-truths, non-truths, etc., is the world we have. It is what it is. No AD is going to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth in public about a fired coach.

The AD can't lay it all out there, there are legal issues involved with why they can't.

Really? What legal issues. Explain.

Or don't. Because that's BS.

The more people in the know that come forward and call out that piece of sh#t, the better.

It obviously needs to be acknowledged more when you see so many people that seem to just ignore it.

I said it when he was fired. Was pretty roasted for it. Mainly cuz I compared him to Callahan and Pedersen. And I stick with it.

Riley or not. Bo fist f'd this program more than Pedersen and Callahan ever dreamed.

When it's all said and done, this 3-9 season will be good for the program in the long run. It'll be a nice bold reset of perspective and fundamentals. A cut and dried reason for Riley and crew to put their foot down on the program. I truly believe it's basically just become about getting throught the season while implementing some of their concepts. As far as the fanbase goes, it'll be good for that as well. We will truely find out who the real passionate fans are and who are the coattail nippers who were just along for the ride hoping to get a taste of that 30 year run, and get all pissy and bitter when it doesnt go their way.

The revisionist recollection, hypocrisy, and overreaction i see anymore makes me wanna straight up puke. I seriously didnt know it was possible for a Nebraska "fan" to know this little about football and all the things beyond X's and O's that make a program successful. This program needs a few 3-9 seasons. yes. more than one. Some of us jackass fans need humbled. In a very bad way.

"3-9 is good for the program"

How about the current players?

I truly can't believe how deluded some have become.

• Fire 3

I assume CM is basing the claim that Osborne supported Bo and didn't want him fired on the fact that he didn't fire Bo by the end of 2012 when he left the AD job. But that was two full seasons, the worst two seasons, of Pelini's unhappiness.

I wouldn't claim Osborne would have fired Bo, because Osborne is very loyal and looked for the best in people. But I strongly doubt he approved of the way Pelini was behaving.

Yes in the long run it may very well be. It could purgue illogical, derailing, and hypocritical jackasses like you from our midst. Then we can get back to good things.

Nothing. I mean nothing you have said or done here has been productive in any way. Not to mention there are so many holes in your thoughts and facts that I cant even keep track of.

Now. Youre not the only one. There are many like you. A really bad season or two could be good in my opinion. Bottom out. Reset the program. End the sellout streak. And get a guy-whether it still be Riley or someone else-who can come in with zero pressure, and zero obligation to worry about our past. Zero pressure from jackass fans and media who are so caught up with history that they think things never change or shouldnt change. Allow us to get with the program. Embrace our history, but not try to live in it.

As far as the current players? What about them? Theyve had ample opportunity to better the record. Whats your point here?

I dont wanna be 3-9. Id assume avoid it. But it's probably gonna happen. Is what it is. now, do you wanna piss and moan like the little entitled 5 year old sh#t you appear to be? Or would you like to avoid grey hair and look for the silver lining in things.

• Fire 6

Yes in the long run it may very well be. It could purgue illogical, derailing, and hypocritical jackasses like you from our midst. Then we can get back to good things.

Nothing. I mean nothing you have said or done here has been productive in any way. Not to mention there are so many holes in your thoughts and facts that I cant even keep track of.

Now. Youre not the only one. There are many like you. A really bad season or two could be good in my opinion. Bottom out. Reset the program. End the sellout streak. And get a guy-whether it still be Riley or someone else-who can come in with zero pressure, and zero obligation to worry about our past. Zero pressure from jackass fans and media who are so caught up with history that they think things never change or shouldnt change. Allow us to get with the program. Embrace our history, but not try to live in it.

Did you want Solich fired in '03?

And what you describe would kill the husker program. Not everyone has a herbie hard on. Most fans would walk away and not come back after consecutive 3-9 seasons. What would NU be left with other than being another Kansas?

And what you describe would kill the husker program. Not everyone has a herbie hard on. Most fans would walk away and not come back after consecutive 3-9 seasons. What would NU be left with other than being another Kansas?

I guarantee you are not the voice of most fans

• Fire 6

Yes. I did. I was ready to try something new. We were trending downwards. Sure. 2003 was a step back up, RECORD WISE. But 41-24, 31-7, and 38-9 says we were still trending down. I wanted to go a different direction. Now. This narrative has changed over the years. Looking back knowing what I know about football now, its probably somethings that shouldntve happened. Frank did what he needed to after just one measly bad year.

Kill the program? How so? This is what I mean. We are so caught up with maintaining this level of relevance that we're tearing ourselves apart at the first sight of failure in wanting to go another direction, in trying to take the next step. Jesus Kriest. Look at the CFB poll. Clemson is number 1. Temple, Baylor, TCU, Utah. For sh#t's sake. How do you "kill" a program. It's not like we're this almighty relevant program anyway. We havent been relevant, and not mediocre for over a decade. Give me a break. What are we killing? The sellout streak. That's all it comes down to. Let it end. let's play football again. Lets get a guy-or keep the guy-with a vision and ideals to make us great again. But you have to be willing to take the risk to be great. youre 70% theory is just a copout. it's chickining away from the true challenge.

And as far as fans walking away and not coming back?......Good. Like I said....

As far as the fanbase goes, it'll be good for that as well. We will truely find out who the real passionate fans are and who are the coattail nippers who were just along for the ride hoping to get a taste of that 30 year run, and get all pissy and bitter when it doesnt go their way.

Let em go. Lifes better without them.

• Fire 4

So youre admonishing others for possibly seeing a need for a change after a 3-6 start, saying we are completely unreasonable, spoiled and probably need a string of 3-9 seasons to reset expectations.

but admit you were wanting to fire a husker legend who had won .700+ of his games, won a conf championship, gone to an NC game and had a bright young staff.

You don't see the disconnect here??

• Fire 2