Volkswagen and Nebraska Football

BIG ERN

So awesome. I wish Pelini had never stepped a foot into this program.

The more people in the know that come forward and call out that piece of sh#t, the better.

It obviously needs to be acknowledged more when you see so many people that seem to just ignore it.

Thank you Mr. Pettit for having the guts to speak the truth.

I said it when he was fired. Was pretty roasted for it. Mainly cuz I compared him to Callahan and Pedersen. And I stick with it.

Riley or not. Bo fist f'd this program more than Pedersen and Callahan ever dreamed.

When it's all said and done, this 3-9 season will be good for the program in the long run. It'll be a nice bold reset of perspective and fundamentals. A cut and dried reason for Riley and crew to put their foot down on the program. I truly believe it's basically just become about getting throught the season while implementing some of their concepts. As far as the fanbase goes, it'll be good for that as well. We will truely find out who the real passionate fans are and who are the coattail nippers who were just along for the ride hoping to get a taste of that 30 year run, and get all pissy and bitter when it doesnt go their way.

The revisionist recollection, hypocrisy, and overreaction i see anymore makes me wanna straight up puke. I seriously didnt know it was possible for a Nebraska "fan" to know this little about football and all the things beyond X's and O's that make a program successful. This program needs a few 3-9 seasons. yes. more than one. Some of us jackass fans need humbled. In a very bad way.

"3-9 is good for the program"

How about the current players?

I truly can't believe how deluded some have become.

Yes in the long run it may very well be. It could purgue illogical, derailing, and hypocritical jackasses like you from our midst. Then we can get back to good things.

Nothing. I mean nothing you have said or done here has been productive in any way. Not to mention there are so many holes in your thoughts and facts that I cant even keep track of.

Now. Youre not the only one. There are many like you. A really bad season or two could be good in my opinion. Bottom out. Reset the program. End the sellout streak. And get a guy-whether it still be Riley or someone else-who can come in with zero pressure, and zero obligation to worry about our past. Zero pressure from jackass fans and media who are so caught up with history that they think things never change or shouldnt change. Allow us to get with the program. Embrace our history, but not try to live in it.

Did you want Solich fired in '03?

And what you describe would kill the husker program. Not everyone has a herbie hard on. Most fans would walk away and not come back after consecutive 3-9 seasons. What would NU be left with other than being another Kansas?

Good Lord, why do fans do this? They act (or believe) only the worst into eternity? Please explain to me how if we have consecutive 3-9 seasons that we will never ever EVER get back to being a good to great program. Where is the logic behind this?

• Fire 1

RECRUITING

1998 (unknown ranking) 21 recruits 3.19 avg

1999 (unknown ranking) 22 recruit 2.09 avg

2000 (unknown ranking) 21 recruits 2.43 avg

2001 (unknown ranking) 19 recruits 2.06 avg

Where are Frank's 2002 and 2003 classes?

From A Brief History of Husker Recruiting Rankings (takes of average of all known recruiting rankings):

1998 - 15.0

1999 - 19.0

2000 - 12.6

2001 - 11.6

2002 - 37.3

2003 - 31.4

2002 and 2003 were very small classes. Frank had the 2004 class at #14 on Rivals the day he was fired. And he had a great group of Florida players set to visit with high interest. And he likely would have added Danny Woodhead before signing day.

98 - 21

99 - 22

00 - 21

01 - 19

02 - 18

03 - 19

2001 didn't have a problem being with "a very small class". And signing an extra 2 or 3 kids in 98-00 doesn't account for a rating 20 spots higher those years compared in 02 and 03.

Keep trying to explain away...

By comparison to this year (and many years, including Callahan yesrs) those were some strong recruiting years

Pettit ignores that:

1. Bo did tell them they should work hard for their new coach (you can read the audio transcrip).

LOL....this is akin to:

Father going through divorce and having a supper with his young kids: "Kids, your mother is a rotten slutty whore that is a cowardice bitch and is impossible to live with. Her a-hole parents are clueless and do nothing but tear me apart for no reason other than their own hidden motives......But, I want you to try your best to love her and your grand parents. But, if you don't want to love them, there are other places you can live. Good luck."

Yeah....that really inspires the thought of saying goodbye in a supportive way. But...hey....he did say, "But, I want you to try your best to love them".

• Fire 1

LOL....this is akin to:

Father going through divorce and having a supper with his young kids: "Kids, your mother is a rotten slutty whore that is a cowardice bitch and is impossible to live with. Her a-hole parents are clueless and do nothing but tear me apart for no reason other than their own hidden motives......But, I want you to try your best to love her and your grand parents. But, if you don't want to love them, there are other places you can live. Good luck."

I miss spending Thanksgiving with my family. (sigh)

Good times...

KSU ended ranked there after losing in the Fiesta Bowl to Buckeyes. Not familiar with Texas' ending of season, but those teams were very good. NO disgrace in losing those games. Mizzou wasn't bad either. Brad Smith was super fast. Everyone points to that, but hardly anyone remembers that Ozzy lost games to unranked Mizzou, Iowa ST and other teams along his tenure. Sometimes, some teams rise above for a period in time, but don't sustain it. This is what made Nebraska so great. Sure, we lost a few games in certain years to teasm we should not have, but during a 30 year period, we stayed consistent. Too late to know what would have been, but I think Solich would have maintained 9-10 wins a season. We will never know. Bo would have been here at least 3 years, and would have added to the recruiting base here along with Solich.

Now we are seeing the price we paid for being arrogant and unrealistic about the landscape of the sport.

Yep. Firing Solich was the biggest mistake in the history of college football. And we learned nothing from it.

If Frank is such a fantastic head coach, then why isn't he at a power 5 school? If Frank is such a fantastic head coach then why isn't he going undefeated at a MAC school? Why isn't he winning his conference every single year? Looking at his list of accomplishments, Frank is probably an average coach at best.

Because Nebraska is the only major P5 school that hires 60+ year old coaches.

Frank is the winningest coach in Ohio history and is moving in on the winningest coach in MAC history.

Frank had a Heisman winner, several top ten finishes, BCS bowl wins, conference championship, national championship appearance and coach of the year honors. His first 6 years were better than TO's first six years. He's WAAAAY above average.

We had no business being in the NC that year.

So you were one of the "fans" rooting against us getting into the NC game. Not surprised. That's the most disgusting attitude I've ever heard expressed by someone who claims to be a fan.

There was a system in place. We were the #2 team in that system. We had every right to be there. And there wasn't a team who deserved it any more than us.

And that system has proved to be a complete joke over the years, hence the new playoff system.

Oregon deserved to be in it before we did.

3-9 is absolutely needed for some fans, like the count. The amount of ego that certain fans tie into the football program is beyond ridiculous. That ego needs a beating.

However, it happened before, and it didn't seem to do any good then. So, maybe there's just no hope for certain fans.

OTH, I feel bad for the players recruited under the previous HC during a season like this.

3-9 is absolutely needed for some fans, like the count. The amount of ego that certain fans tie into the football program is beyond ridiculous. That ego needs a beating.

However, it happened before, and it didn't seem to do any good then. So, maybe there's just no hope for certain fans.

OTH, I feel bad for the players recruited under the previous HC during a season like this.

Pettit ignores that:

1. Bo did tell them they should work hard for their new coach (you can read the audio transcrip).

2. Osborne was happy with the direction of NU football under Bo and didn't think that he needed to be fired.

I honestly don't know why a long retired VB coach who lives in Colorado has a more valid opinion than a guy like Osborne.

I'm also interested to know what caused him to chime in now, and never before...

Take a look at what each built. It should answer the question for you. Pettit built the volleyball program. TO inherited a NC team.

• Fire 1

KSU ended ranked there after losing in the Fiesta Bowl to Buckeyes. Not familiar with Texas' ending of season, but those teams were very good. NO disgrace in losing those games. Mizzou wasn't bad either. Brad Smith was super fast. Everyone points to that, but hardly anyone remembers that Ozzy lost games to unranked Mizzou, Iowa ST and other teams along his tenure. Sometimes, some teams rise above for a period in time, but don't sustain it. This is what made Nebraska so great. Sure, we lost a few games in certain years to teasm we should not have, but during a 30 year period, we stayed consistent. Too late to know what would have been, but I think Solich would have maintained 9-10 wins a season. We will never know. Bo would have been here at least 3 years, and would have added to the recruiting base here along with Solich.

Now we are seeing the price we paid for being arrogant and unrealistic about the landscape of the sport.

Yep. Firing Solich was the biggest mistake in the history of college football. And we learned nothing from it.

If Frank is such a fantastic head coach, then why isn't he at a power 5 school? If Frank is such a fantastic head coach then why isn't he going undefeated at a MAC school? Why isn't he winning his conference every single year? Looking at his list of accomplishments, Frank is probably an average coach at best.

Because Nebraska is the only major P5 school that hires 60+ year old coaches.

Frank is the winningest coach in Ohio history and is moving in on the winningest coach in MAC history.

Frank had a Heisman winner, several top ten finishes, BCS bowl wins, conference championship, national championship appearance and coach of the year honors. His first 6 years were better than TO's first six years. He's WAAAAY above average.

We had no business being in the NC that year.

So you were one of the "fans" rooting against us getting into the NC game. Not surprised. That's the most disgusting attitude I've ever heard expressed by someone who claims to be a fan.

There was a system in place. We were the #2 team in that system. We had every right to be there. And there wasn't a team who deserved it any more than us.

And that system has proved to be a complete joke over the years, hence the new playoff system.

Oregon deserved to be in it before we did.

Only an Oregon fan could come to that conclusion. A fairly mediocre Stanford team put up 49 points in their win over Oregon. The same Stanford team that lost to both WSU and Washington, allowing both teams to put up over 40 points on them. In the last two weeks of the season, Oregon squeaked out a 1 point win against unranked UCLA and a 3 point win against a hapless 5-6 Oregon State team. In the final Sagarin rankings, we were STILL ahead of Oregon even though they won their bowl game and we lost ours.

You're blinded by Frank hatred. What was your screenname on bigredboard?

Pettit ignores that:

2. Osborne was happy with the direction of NU football under Bo and didn't think that he needed to be fired.

I honestly don't know why a long retired VB coach who lives in Colorado has a more valid opinion than a guy like Osborne.

I'm also interested to know what caused him to chime in now, and never before...

Take a look at what each built. It should answer the question for you. Pettit built the volleyball program. TO inherited a NC team.

That is some twisted logic. Pettit built a VB program, so his opinion on the Husker football program is more valid than Tom Osborne's.

giphy.gif

Pettit ignores that:

LOL....this is akin to:

Yeah....that really inspires the thought of saying goodbye in a supportive way. But...hey....he did say, "But, I want you to try your best to love them".

Bad analogy. Bo didn't bad mouth his successor. He only talked badly about Pederhorst. And he told the truth.

A better analogy would be the dad telling the kids that their mother is a wonderful woman, but her boss is a jackass.