Hondo Carpenter (MSU Media) goes on "rational rant" on 1620Zone

I thought he was spot on. The Zone did a poll today and the afternoon show today. Wanting people rank the 4 items in percentages as to what they thought was the reason for the record this year.

Talent

Mental

Coaching

Uncontrollable things

I think they forgot one very important factor, the fans.

I would rank it this way:

Mental - 40%

Uncontrollable things (injuries) - 20%

Coaching - 15%

Fans - 15%

Talent - 10%

Until the fan base stops calling for a 1st year coaches job, they will be a factor in the play of team.

The fans? You mean the people who show up to support the team every single game, buy the merchandise, watch it on tv, donate millions, etc? Those people are 15% of the reason why the team has a 3-6 record?

Did you see that fan jack up the hail mary pass in the BYU game? He lost that one for us.

What about that fan that threw the pick against Miami? What a terrible fan.

That fan did a terrible job managing the clock against Illinois, he cost us the game.

I don't see the logic here.

• Fire 1

I understand that this is Riley's first year as a head coach, and he should be given some time to adjust. That doesn't mean the fans and media have to accept what's going on and pretend all is well.

I don't understand why some guy would go on the radio and try to defend the coaching that has taken place here this year. Coaching alone has lost this team at least 3 games. The decisions on third and short, which for some reason is almost always a passing down, is mind boggling. I also don't know about the part where Mike Riley was universally thought of as a good coach. Maybe at one point in time this was true. It's certainly not true now. Just go ask some Beaver fans.

3rd and short has, Post-Championship become a "passing down" . That's the whole problem. We are now a passing team. BLECH

(I know what u were saying, not directed at you)

Okay, Riley is a nice guy and he embraces the fans. There's no denying that, and sure it is a welcome change. But, that doesn't mean he's a great fit at Nebraska. Sorry, but his teams have always had a reputation of not playing tough, and he leans on the passing game. That's not Nebraska football. Also I would say the opposite of Hondo, when he claimed Riley is a great coach, I would say he's an okay coach. Just because he was a head coach in the NFL, doesn't make him great. The NFL has had guys like Brad Childress, Jim Tomsula (yes he's already a bad coach), and Rich Kotite, I don't think anyone would confuse those guys as being great coaches.

The media is trying to spin our program as some kind of rebuilding project because that's the only way they can rationalize how bad of a season we're having. I'm sorry, but going into this year no one thought this would be a rebuilding project. Were people saying it was a rebuilding project when Langsdorf decided to throw it 30 times on a windy day against Illinois? No. Were people saying it was a rebuilding project when Banker's defense allowed Wisconsin, Southern Miss, BYU, Northwestern and even Minnesota to drive down the field with ease in the 4th quarter? No.

People can spin it any way they want, but I'm not buying this is was a rebuilding year. Transition year? Yes, but this was far from a rebuilding project.

Shawn and Harvey on up forgot to send fans a memo in fine print we are rebuilding................................................................we have been rebuilding since Frank Solich left, see philosophies of each coach who came here since.

I thought he was spot on. The Zone did a poll today and the afternoon show today. Wanting people rank the 4 items in percentages as to what they thought was the reason for the record this year.

Talent

Mental

Coaching

Uncontrollable things

Mental - 40%

Coaching - 15%

Fans - 15%

Talent - 10%

Until the fan base stops calling for a 1st year coaches job, they will be a factor in the play of team.

The fans? You mean the people who show up to support the team every single game, buy the merchandise, watch it on tv, donate millions, etc? Those people are 15% of the reason why the team has a 3-6 record?

Did you see that fan jack up the hail mary pass in the BYU game? He lost that one for us.

That fan did a terrible job managing the clock against Illinois, he cost us the game.

i lost the Purdue game for us

Talent

Mental

Coaching

Uncontrollable things

Mental - 40%

Coaching - 15%

Fans - 15%

Talent - 10%

No. Just, no.

Coaching has cost us minimum 3 wins already. From a staff that has 200+ yrs experience. All the fans can do is shut up on offense and yell on defense.

What we do here and elsewhere in the "media" has about .05% affect on the coaches. I mean, you seriously think they wake up in the morning, make their coffee and think, "let's see what the pundits and fans are thinking today"??

If it does, they have bigger probes than throwing 50 times against the 100 ranked run offense.

I understand that this is Riley's first year as a head coach, and he should be given some time to adjust. That doesn't mean the fans and media have to accept what's going on and pretend all is well.

I don't understand why some guy would go on the radio and try to defend the coaching that has taken place here this year. Coaching alone has lost this team at least 3 games. The decisions on third and short, which for some reason is almost always a passing down, is mind boggling. I also don't know about the part where Mike Riley was universally thought of as a good coach. Maybe at one point in time this was true. It's certainly not true now. Just go ask some Beaver fans.

He literally did not say most of what you just posted. Listen to it again. He says 2 or 3 times that husker fans have a right to be upset at the results, just not to go overboard and act like hate-spewing idiots.

He does go on a rant about the negativity coming from the message boards and then turns around and says we have a right to be upset. Which makes no sense.

He spends time defending Riley's coaching, and says we should be impressed by what he did at OSU.

He does say that Mike Riley was "Universally" thought of as a good coach.

I was commenting on the above. He literally did not say what I posted, because it is my commentary. But hey, let's all take advice from the MSU radio guy. He's obviously got our best interests in mind when he speaks.

He also singles out Nebraska boards. He apparently hasn't been to very many message boards. I saw Kentucky's largest site a few years ago damn near crucify Calipari in a year he'd eventually win the title. A lot of sites, especially big ones for prominent teams, go absolutely crazy after losses.

Talent

Mental

Coaching

Uncontrollable things

Mental - 40%

Coaching - 15%

Fans - 15%

Talent - 10%

I'm off the hook. YES!!

3rd and short has, Post-Championship become a "passing down" . That's the whole problem. We are now a passing team. BLECH

(I know what u were saying, not directed at you)

I did not realize this. I just know that when we line up on 3rd and 1 with an empty backfield, the next play is most likely going to be a punt.

Talent

Mental

Coaching

Uncontrollable things

Mental - 40%

Coaching - 15%

Fans - 15%

Talent - 10%

I'm off the hook. YES!!

I'm convinced Illinois was my fault. I came in from hunting and forgot to put on my lucky shirt until midway through the game.

Tommy Armstrong is a totally different QB? A better one? Haha, go look at the stats. This Hondo guy doesn't know what he's talking about. He's the same passer, but runs less. Which has hurt this team and it's not Tommy's fault. The coaches have failed all year long to put him in a position to be successful. Do you think Tom Osborne would have forced Tommie Frazier to throw 35-40 times a game. NO. There has been no reason what so ever why this coaching staff hasn't been able to implement an offense around the best players on this team. Yet, they think they can bring their west coast offense wisdom to Lincoln and plug it in first year and win games. It's crazy.

AD Peterson fires 9 win coach, hires a WC offensive coach. He fails. AD Eichorst fires 9 win coach, hires a WC offensive coach. He's failing!

What am I missing here?

Twice, the reigns of this program have been given to an AD who doesn't understand what it takes to win games at Nebraska. In the cold, windy Big Ten.

History is repeating itself ladies and gentlemen. Buckle up. It's gonna get bumpy.

Earlier this year when we were still being televised with decent commentating crews in the box, I would constantly here the analyst say something to the effect of this is the perfect situation to let TA beat them with his running ability. Over and over and over. And it never happened. They would call a drop back pass play that inevitably ended up with a poorly thrown 8-10 yd pass that TA still can't accurately throw.

I'm not a huge TA fan at all as a player although I love his fire. But this coaching staff continually puts him in positions which accentuate his weakest points. He could be a much more effective QB if he was used correctly