Members From Other Fanbases: What's YOUR Take?

I'm quite curious to see what they think about the state of Nebraska football today. Is Riley the right guy for the job? What do you think about the actions of our AD and Chancellor? Are fans justified in being angry and/or wanting them gone, or completely insane? Would we be setting ourselves up for disaster getting rid of them so soon? Are we setting ourselves up for failure by keeping them around any longer? Should we exercise more patience? What should the expectations be at Nebraska? What do you think Nebraska should do or needs to do to meet these expectations?

You guys were put in an awful position, IMO. You didn't realize what you had in Bo, and yet Bo didn't realize what he had in the fans. If Riley is the right man for the job, he's going to need time & patience to find out. Personally, I don't think he can do it.

This is the part you guys won't like:

As far as your expectations, you need to drop them a bit. You guys are still stuck in the 90s/early 2000s thinking you should win every game. TO was one of a kind and you're not going to find another one very easily. Nebraska isn't a fertile recruiting ground, so you have to rely on going elsewhere to get athletes, which can be very difficult. You can't expect to be dominant. Sorry, but it's just not realistic.

Clemson's having a hell of a year, but I don't expect it every year. I'm enjoying the ride, but if it ends next week, it's ok. Expect little and you'll enjoy the seasons much more.

Maybe he just wanted to show he's backing a team in the mix? I'm choosing to believe (because I've only watched the ND game of theirs this season) that Venables is the key to Clemson.

Venables is one of the keys. Heisman contender at QB is another, along with an overachieving OL, tough running RB & good DL.

• Fire 3

Oregon State and Mike Riley fan chiming in. I think patience is the key here, implementing a new system and a new culture take time. You give Riley 4-5 years and the support he needs to recruit the best talent to Nebraska I think you'll be competing for Big Ten Championships and playoff spots. If it doesn't work, you show him the door and you'll be in a position to recruit a big name coach to replace him. He will have led the team with class and dignity that has been lacking and I guarantee you won't have any leaked audio of him disrespecting the University or the fans on the way out the door. If you only give him 1-2 years and he's on the hot seat the entire time it will hurt recruiting and give prospective coaches a reason not to come to Nebraska.

• Fire 2

Oregon State and Mike Riley fan chiming in. I think patience is the key here, implementing a new system and a new culture take time. You give Riley 4-5 years and the support he needs to recruit the best talent to Nebraska I think you'll be competing for Big Ten Championships and playoff spots. If it doesn't work, you show him the door and you'll be in a position to recruit a big name coach to replace him. He will have led the team with class and dignity that has been lacking and I guarantee you won't have any leaked audio of him disrespecting the University or the fans on the way out the door. If you only give him 1-2 years and he's on the hot seat the entire time it will hurt recruiting and give prospective coaches a reason not to come to Nebraska.

After 4 or 5 more years, he'll probably be looking to retire anyways. Hopefully he'll be leaving the cupboard stocked for his successor.

lsu fan and long distance admirer of nebraska here.

when i think about watching nebraska over the last thirty plus years, there are plenty of moments, games, seasons, players and a particular coach to remember. what has stood out to me over the last decade or so is the fans. you guys have the best fans in college football imo. you LIVE nebraska football. it MATTERS. when i thinkk of football, i think of the nebraska cornhuskers.

it's painful to see the type of season riley is having, but i would hang in there. the team has been competitive, and i would expect you to win the west division next year with a NEW defensive coordinator(if a few points fall on the other side you guys mighta won it this year and i think you'll beat iowa). i think riley can get the job done at nebraska to the point where he wins the west most years and competes for the big10 crown. maybe you could have done better than riley, but he's there now and will be next year. he's been coaching with one arm tied behind his back at oregonst. the only team with less or equal talent that he competed against was wsu. he was way outgunned by oregon, stanford and udub for the most part.

nebraska may not be what it once was, however, you guys are still prominent enough to attract the recruits to win the west pretty much every year. given your current divisional alignment within the conference, it's very possible for the huskers to win the big10 once every 4 or so years and get a spot in the playoffs. i think that's realistic, again given your current divisional alignment. just think of what this year could've been with mediocre defensive play. i think the defense will be much better next year(not just because it can't get much worse).

Go Big Red!

• Fire 4

Clemson's having a hell of a year, but I don't expect it every year. I'm enjoying the ride, but if it ends next week, it's ok. Expect little and you'll enjoy the seasons much more.

Clemsoning

LOL. You're so funny.

Nothing but respect for Clemson. But it was hard to resist...

Seriously though, you've got a solid team. Good luck to you guys.

Clemsoning and Texas a&ming, while it seems to happen every year, I'd probably be okay with it. u

If we want to be technical, Clemson has the 2nd longest winning streak over unranked teams in the nation. I don't think we've lost to a team ranked lower than us since 2011. So, the "Clemsoning" thing really doesn't hold much weight at this point.

• Fire 1

when i think about watching nebraska over the last thirty plus years, there are plenty of moments, games, seasons, players and a particular coach to remember. what has stood out to me over the last decade or so is the fans. you guys have the best fans in college football imo. you LIVE nebraska football. it MATTERS. when i thinkk of football, i think of the nebraska cornhuskers.

it's painful to see the type of season riley is having, but i would hang in there. the team has been competitive, and i would expect you to win the west division next year with a NEW defensive coordinator(if a few points fall on the other side you guys mighta won it this year and i think you'll beat iowa). i think riley can get the job done at nebraska to the point where he wins the west most years and competes for the big10 crown. maybe you could have done better than riley, but he's there now and will be next year. he's been coaching with one arm tied behind his back at oregonst. the only team with less or equal talent that he competed against was wsu. he was way outgunned by oregon, stanford and udub for the most part.

nebraska may not be what it once was, however, you guys are still prominent enough to attract the recruits to win the west pretty much every year. given your current divisional alignment within the conference, it's very possible for the huskers to win the big10 once every 4 or so years and get a spot in the playoffs. i think that's realistic, again given your current divisional alignment. just think of what this year could've been with mediocre defensive play. i think the defense will be much better next year(not just because it can't get much worse).

Go Big Red!

Wow, thanks for the friendly post! And welcome.

• Fire 1

Go Big Red!

Wow, thanks for the friendly post! And welcome.

thnx for having me.

Badger fan here.

From the outside, I think the torch and pitchfork reaction is understandable, but completely irrational. You have a new coach who is 9 games in to his first year. He's lost something like 4, last second games. The man may very well be a bad coach, but you've not even let him finish a single season before demanding that the entire administration of the university be fired. If that's not delusional craziness, I don't know what is. Again, I get it, losing is painful, but it's only been a handful of weeks!

Has been very surprising to see how vicious many have become as soon as the team loses. You all like to call yourselves the best fans in college football, and for often very good reason. However, to me, if that's to continue, a big part of that should include supporting your program when you're not having a good year.

One might argue that's a better measure of being a good fan..

"...not having a good year." How about a good decade?

Clemsoning and Texas a&ming, while it seems to happen every year, I'd probably be okay with it. u

If we want to be technical, Clemson has the 2nd longest winning streak over unranked teams in the nation. I don't think we've lost to a team ranked lower than us since 2011. So, the "Clemsoning" thing really doesn't hold much weight at this point.

That's the first time I've heard an actual Stat behind the word. My personal email definition is routinely having championship caliber players year after year, going 7 or 8 and 0 to start the year and getting in the MNC talk, and then sinking the ship by losing one or two games.

Matter of fact TAMU is doing it again this year, to a greater degree. They started out hot and everyone was talking, now they are terrible. #clemsoning

I live in Colorado and people have been telling me for years now that Nebraska is a 2nd tier team now. Heck this year we are a bottom tier team.

It's going to take time to fix this mess.

I live in Colorado too and I have not heard this from anyone. Were these people CU or CSU fans? Because that would take a LOT of balls for them to say NU is 2nd tier. That's kind of like the gal that weighs 300 lbs telling the hot girl that she's not too attractive.

I honestly don't remember who they were fans of. Once they ask me who I am a fan of.....well, they get an earful. :)

I run into these people during the course of my work. I meet so many people that I honestly couldn't even tell you their names now.

Badger fan here.

From the outside, I think the torch and pitchfork reaction is understandable, but completely irrational. You have a new coach who is 9 games in to his first year. He's lost something like 4, last second games. The man may very well be a bad coach, but you've not even let him finish a single season before demanding that the entire administration of the university be fired. If that's not delusional craziness, I don't know what is. Again, I get it, losing is painful, but it's only been a handful of weeks!

Has been very surprising to see how vicious many have become as soon as the team loses. You all like to call yourselves the best fans in college football, and for often very good reason. However, to me, if that's to continue, a big part of that should include supporting your program when you're not having a good year.

One might argue that's a better measure of being a good fan.

Take a bow sir, while I give you a standing ovation.