Sipple puts the talent argument to bed

If the talent is there then we wouldn't be starting a record number of walkons. End of story.

You sure it's a record number of starters?
Almost 40% of our travel roster last week were walkons. Again there are some that are talented and deserve a shot. But if you look at top teams they're consistently recruiting top 15 classes, and actually have a two deep.
  • Fire 1

If the talent is there then we wouldn't be starting a record number of walkons. End of story.

So the walkons have no talent? Are you saying Janovich isn't more talented than a lot of scholarship players on other teams?

Silly statement. "End of story" makes it even more comical.

I think you are misconstruing ADS's point. Is that what you're trying to do?

Of course it is.

• Fire 2

Back during Miami week, Di Nardo made the claim that Miami was much closer to its championship form and Nebraska was no where close. So where does Sipple get this crap? I wouldn't believe or give credibility to anything that guy writes.

2011 2nd in Big (questionable due to drop outs and busts)

2012 4th in Big

2013 3rd in Big (questionable due to drop outs and busts)

2014 6th

2015 4th

Nebraska is currently in 5 or 6th place in the conference in recruiting. If this continues, we will be conference doormats forever. WE are a small state, we have to out recruit the oppositiion.

• Fire 4

You sure it's a record number of starters?
Almost 40% of our travel roster last week were walkons. Again there are some that are talented and deserve a shot. But if you look at top teams they're consistently recruiting top 15 classes, and actually have a two deep.

So, you backed off the starter claim. Good move.

Guess how many walkons were on the 2 deep in 2008.

Guess how many in 1994.

The reason no one ever worried about this stat before is because no other coach squandered our talent this badly (never thought I'd say that after Callahan).

Now, it's excuse making time so people are pulling out random and meaningless without context "facts" to try to argue our team doesn't have enough talent to beat the Illinois and Purdues of the world.

Shameful.

• Fire 2

Back during Miami week, Di Nardo made the claim that Miami was much closer to its championship form and Nebraska was no where close. So where does Sipple get this crap? I wouldn't believe or give credibility to anything that guy writes.

2012 4th in Big

2014 6th

2015 4th

Nebraska is currently in 5 or 6th place in the conference in recruiting. If this continues, we will be conference doormats forever. WE are a small state, we have to out recruit the oppositiion.

"Questionable"

Do you realize other teams have busts too?

NU had the third or fourth best attrition rate coming into this season. The 4th or so attrition adjusted talent ranking (neck and neck with MSU and the only team with a significant lead was Ohio St).

I'm so tired of the misinformation.

• Fire 2

Link to Dinardo's claims about Nebraska and Miami? I hope you can come up with them so your credibility doesn't take a hit.

Here's a link to some of Dinardo's comments in August that Sipple mentioned.

So the walkons have no talent? Are you saying Janovich isn't more talented than a lot of scholarship players on other teams?

Silly statement. "End of story" makes it even more comical.

This article does nothing to prove that there is talent on this team. I personally think there is a lot of talent on this team, enough to be a Top 25 team. Talent is not the issue, imo. It appears that (1) coaching has forced our talent to play away from their strengths, leaving them exposed, and has not produced a winning culture (or a culture of self- and peer-accountability); (2) the entire team is not giving maximum effort, allowing mental mistakes, and playing out of position and technique (probably a result of how practice is conducted and executed); and (3) a lot of injuries at key positions.

None of this says a lack of talent (well maybe injuries to an extend), but it does say that the coaching staff and players are not on the same page and they do not have the right identity to win.

• Fire 1

2012 4th in Big

2014 6th

2015 4th

"Questionable"

Do you realize other teams have busts too?

NU had the third or fourth best attrition rate coming into this season. The 4th or so attrition adjusted talent ranking (neck and neck with MSU and the only team with a significant lead was Ohio St).

I'm so tired of the misinformation.

If seeing this misinformation posted by some of these guys makes you tired, you should be in a coma.

BTN breezed in for an afternoon in August to do their annual preview segment of the Huskers. During the segment, Gerry DiNardo pays a complemint to our linemen. And from this we're supposed to draw the conclusion that "Sipple puts the talent argument to bed"?? Ha ha! That's rich. :lol:

There's a little more to the article than the one opinion I quoted. Here's some more:

I considered Nebraska a contender to win the Big Ten West Division. In cleveland.com's annual preseason poll, NU was picked second in the West and received five of 40 first-place votes.

None of the media that regularly covers the team predicted it. That includes 20-some people who watched several practices in August. I know of nobody in that crowd who predicted the Huskers would win fewer than seven games total.

But if it makes you feel better to call our student athletes "untalented", go for it.

I would advise you not to put words in my mouth.

• Fire 4

BTN breezed in for an afternoon in August to do their annual preview segment of the Huskers. During the segment, Gerry DiNardo pays a complemint to our linemen. And from this we're supposed to draw the conclusion that "Sipple puts the talent argument to bed"?? Ha ha! That's rich. :lol:

There's a little more to the article than the one opinion I quoted. Here's some more:

I considered Nebraska a contender to win the Big Ten West Division. In cleveland.com's annual preseason poll, NU was picked second in the West and received five of 40 first-place votes.

None of the media that regularly covers the team predicted it. That includes 20-some people who watched several practices in August. I know of nobody in that crowd who predicted the Huskers would win fewer than seven games total.

But if it makes you feel better to call our student athletes "untalented", go for it.

I would advise you not to put words in my mouth.

I was very careful not to put words in your mouth and I will continue to avoid it. :)

Talent is one, and only one part of the equation. Coaching scheme is another part. Coaching nuts and bolts is another part. "Want to" is another part.

Way back when, I was in the Armored Cavalry, tasked with being the first line of defense if the damned Rooskies decided to invade Western Europe. When I got there, my first Captain was a 'Nam holdover. When we trained, he would get livid at the slightest failure. He'd literally threaten you with physical violence if you didn't execute properly. We'd score 98-100% on the quarterly DoD proficiency tests. To the man, we privately despised the Captain. But we were skilled and we performed well over regs.

Then the Captain rotated out and a new one took his place. He was a book born officer, no combat experience and generally a nice guy. Our first DoD test with the new Captain we graded at 73%. A failing score. The Captain told us we'd need to improve. Training was lackluster. Our second test, 77%, failing. The new captain took us to the training range and addressed us all. "I know your past scores, you are all top notch soldiers, capable of excellence. We don't train to get high scores on tests, nor to make me look good. A good score won't matter if the commies come through the gap. You will fight like you train. I am a captain in the Cavalry, I will be at the front of the charge and most likely to die. You train so that the man on your left and right can have confidence you will be able to do your job, and they can be confident you will do yours."

We got the message. Next testing...98%. He never yelled or raised his voice. He just made it clear that it was on us to perform.

Somehow I don't think the coaches and this team have made that connection.

• Fire 6