Rutgers Week Pressers

Mavric

Here are some interesting "easter Eggs" from the extended version of MR's presser yesterday:

Q: What did you learn from the situation with Jordan Stephenson, and what would you do differently in hindsight?

MR: (long pause) Here's a lesson about recruiting in general: (chuckles) For the recruit, and for the school...... the IDEAL way to recruit somebody is through a long period of time. Where everybody KNOWS each other pretty well.... so everybody knows...... what you're getting into. (it's not just for us, its for them too)

So, in a SHORT period of time, with a condensed time, ... with an unusual situation, ... either party might not know what they're getting, or what they're getting into..... It might not be a good fit for HIM, it might not be a good fit for US.... so it's probably a process where it's too fast. So everybody has to be able to take a deep breath.

Whatever happens with Jordan, we wish him the best. We wish it would have worked out. I know we put a ton of man-hours into the situation to try to make it good, .... and clean.... but I think in his mind this was not the right fit,... and he'll move on from here, ... and so will we.

Q: was it a mutual parting?

MR: He left.... My thinking on that, If that's what a guy really wants to do, then that's for the best.

• Fire 1

Q: Nebraska's taken some great players out of New Jersey. How do you view that state now as far as recruiting.......

MR: We want to capitalize on all those kinds of connections, and we'll sure USE Nebraska's history in recruiting there, but....

... We're still forming philosophical ideas on recruiting...... I think one of the exciting things is... This is nationally based. So we're GOING TO reach out to areas that have been good to Nebraska historically.

And then there's those areas where you're going to go anyway. Your're gonna GO to Texas. You're gonna go to Florida. Louisiana's been good. And parts of the Northeast, like New Jersey. And like the Washington DC area. With (most recently) DeMornay. Those are all good connections. People know those people from history. They know DeMornay.

And at the same time, I'm REALLY becoming more and more convinced that this 500-mile radius thing is real. We had a couple of Official Visit's DRIVE here this last weekend. And that's positive, because family's come. And that's a good thing. And kids that we really want. And they're able to get here relatively easy by driving.

So I think the culmination of what we want to do is, ...... this local 500-mile radius idea is good. (this isn't set in stone, but) I've wondered if we couldn't get half our class, and then pick those national spots, get a couple guys from California, Texas, ... and finish out the rest of that class with that national flavor. That appears to be a pretty good reflection of our current roster. So we'd like to continue with that.

• Fire 1