Beating Teams We "Should" Beat

Mavric

Tough week for good teams vs. teams they should beat.

Michigan shouldn't have needed two overtimes to beat Indiana.

How does TCU beat 0-10 Kansas by less than a touchdown?

Oklahoma State almost blew their playoff chances to Iowa State.

Clemson had its hands full with 3-7 Syracuse.

Purdue challenged Northwestern, much the way it did Michigan State, and Iowa had to hold on against Minnesota.

Arkansas probably should have challenged LSU, but sure wasn't expected to beat them by 17 in Baton Rouge.

College football parity doesn't mean everyone is 6-6, but almost any game can turn into a trap game.

I'm sure a couple on here will blame all of this on Mike Riley.

Kansas State, Purdue, Rutgers, Oregon State, and Kansas (in descending order) are the only P5 teams that have put up such horrible stats that they fall on the bad side of the 68% bell curve distribution this season for overall ranking per my simple method. I was a little surprised to see KSU's figures so low...but their pass "D," pass "O," and total "O" stats are pitiful. Their total "D" isn't much better. I didn't update my SOS figures this week but it's fair to mention that they've played a very tough schedule this season. We all know it didn't have anything to do with teams outside their conference, of course. Purdue doesn't have one category with an average ranking - rush "O" and rush "D" have the worst ratings. Rutgers' worst categories are pass "D," rushing "O," and scoring "D." Oregon State has stats in the scoring offense category that are all lower than the respective values determined by calculating the mean and subtracting one standard deviation. Kansas managed that for four categories: rushing "O," rushing "D," total "D," and scoring "O."