Dirk on recruiting local

I have been watching the Nebraska hs football playoffs online these past few nights and Nebraska I feel definitely has some talented hs football players. Probably more than they are credited for.

True.

I agree that Nebraska has a few talented kids each year, it's just tough to scout them because of the competition level they are going up against.

Meh. There's tons of great former Huskers who weren't from class 'A' who didn't play against so called 'tough' competition whatever that means. Osborne and his staff used to scout just fine actually in classes that weren't class A so if you only think of it in terms of who faces 'good competition' you're going to overlook a whole lot of talent in the end.

Osborne got those kids to walk on.

I have been watching the Nebraska hs football playoffs online these past few nights and Nebraska I feel definitely has some talented hs football players. Probably more than they are credited for.

True.

I agree that Nebraska has a few talented kids each year, it's just tough to scout them because of the competition level they are going up against.

Meh. There's tons of great former Huskers who weren't from class 'A' who didn't play against so called 'tough' competition whatever that means. Osborne and his staff used to scout just fine actually in classes that weren't class A so if you only think of it in terms of who faces 'good competition' you're going to overlook a whole lot of talent in the end.

I'm not saying NU should never offer those guys, but I am just saying it's tough to scout those guys. Recruiting is enough of a crap shoot. Recruiting big guys at small town schools is even more of a crap shoot. Yes, some of those guys are able to translate to high level college football, but a lot of them belong in FCS or D-2.