Dirk on recruiting local

I think I'd agree that you can spin things however you want in order to complain.

However, unless I'm mistaken, nobody's complaining about these coaches here. They're pointing to something that is important. I think the coaches are doing fine in this area. And more than numbers, it's about relationships. The relationship with Nebraska HS coaches has not been what it could be and that's been acknowledged. Think there's a lot of reason for optimism.

There was also a kid from Mullen who went to CSU then played pro for awhile. As kid from central NE tearing it up at Iowa, a nice QB who ended up at Idaho. Yeah some good talent gets out of state.

About Woodhead: I was told while he was a senior in high school that his coach described him as the best back he had seen at NP. They are class A and that should have been worth something to NU.

I think I'd agree that you can spin things however you want in order to complain.

However, unless I'm mistaken, nobody's complaining about these coaches here. They're pointing to something that is important. I think the coaches are doing fine in this area. And more than numbers, it's about relationships. The relationship with Nebraska HS coaches has not been what it could be and that's been acknowledged. Think there's a lot of reason for optimism.

Not really sure about this. We currently have one in state commit for 2016. We (apparently) have lost out on the two highest rated in state recruits and don't seem to have any others at the top of our list. And they aren't inviting as many Nebraska kids to visit for games. It's still early but I don't think there's anything to show improvement with on state guys so far.

• Fire 1

Here's another thing to consider:

Do you know what other guys "should" have gotten a Husker offer but didn't? Guys like Brandon Reilly, Andy Janovich, Jack Gangwish, Dylan Utter, Chris Weber and Ross Dzuris. But then people are complaining that we're playing too many walk-ons and that we don't have enough talent on the team.

Just has to be spun whatever way you want to be able to complain.

Umm, most of those guys weren't in the right position to be earning a scholarship offer right out of high school. The only one that showed any type of D-1 talent in high school was Janovich. Now, I give those guys a lot of credit for working hard since getting to NU, and many guys are late-bloomers, but most of them didn't deserve scholarship offers out of high school.

Do you know what other guys "should" have gotten a Husker offer but didn't? Guys like Brandon Reilly, Andy Janovich, Jack Gangwish, Dylan Utter, Chris Weber and Ross Dzuris. But then people are complaining that we're playing too many walk-ons and that we don't have enough talent on the team.

Umm, most of those guys weren't in the right position to be earning a scholarship offer right out of high school. The only one that showed any type of D-1 talent in high school was Janovich. Now, I give those guys a lot of credit for working hard since getting to NU, and many guys are late-bloomers, but most of them didn't deserve scholarship offers out of high school.

I don't think TO offered scholarships to fullbacks. Most, if not all, of the great ones were walkons, weren't they?

I don't think TO offered scholarships to fullbacks. Most, if not all, of the great ones were walkons, weren't they?

Off the top of my head, Rathman and Schlesinger were given scholarships out of high school. The Mackovickas were walk-ons. Willie Miller & Judd Davies were given scholarships out of high school, as well. Not sure if those guys were TO or Solich recruits.

And most of the guys in Dirk's article were in the exact same boat. That's my point.

And most of the guys in Dirk's article were in the exact same boat. That's my point.

I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I agree that Dirk's arguments are flawed in this article. It's easy to point out "talent" after the fact.

a nice QB who ended up at Idaho.

Nathan Enderle, who we picked off 5 times in 2010 :lol:

An addition to the Pelini QB graveyard for sure, but he did good things for Idaho.

But, he was a statue QB, not something that would have worked at NU under Beck, who liked more mobile QB's.

74 TDs/ 60 INTs. People aren't happy with Martinez at 56/29 and Armstrong 52/32. Yeah, we really missed the boat on this guy.

• Fire 1

An addition to the Pelini QB graveyard for sure, but he did good things for Idaho.

But, he was a statue QB, not something that would have worked at NU under Beck, who liked more mobile QB's.

74 TDs/ 60 INTs. People aren't happy with Martinez at 56/29 and Armstrong 52/32. Yeah, we really missed the boat on this guy.
Theres no way either Martinez or Armstrong throw for 74 TD at Idaho. Think about their receivers and defensive situation.http://m.govandals.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=1088440&DB_OEM_ID=17100&

Excuse me for thinking highly of a Nebraska kid.

Theres no way either Martinez or Armstrong throw for 74 TD at Idaho. Think about their receivers and defensive situation.http://m.govandals.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=1088440&DB_OEM_ID=17100&

Excuse me for thinking highly of a Nebraska kid.

Well better look at their competition while you're at it. Was he an "ok" player sure. Would he done anything at NU most likely not