Ranking College Football Programs since 2000

You really have missed the whole point, so I will try to explain slowly.Your values have no basis.

We have agreed that a 7-5 team has won a conference title giving them 10 points for a conference championship, 7 points for a BCS appearance & 7 points for their wins. Thats a total of 24 points in one season.

Now look at 2014 MSU. They finished 11-2, but did not make the CCG. They also did not make a BCS bowl game. So their point total is 11.

Here is another example.

2008 3-way tie of Texas, Oklahoma & Texas Tech. All three shared a CC. So here are there point totals for the season.

Texas - 12-1 - 12 points wins, 7 points BCS, Total 18 points

Texas Tech - 11-2 - 11 points wins Total 11 points

Oklahoma - 12-2 - 12 Points wins, 10 points CC, 15 points BCS Title App. Total 37 points.

Just an FYI Texas beat Oklahoma, but Oklahoma won the threeway tie breaker by being ranked hire. All three would have been large favorates over Missouri who made it from the North. Look at Texas the are down 19 points to Oklahoma & it could be argued that the tie breaker gave them an additional 19 points more then doubling what they got for a 12-1 season.

I've pulled 2 pretty good examples from memory, I'm sure I could find 100's more if I wanted to go thru the data.

Sure, these are examples that show the system isn't perfect. But no system of gauging team performance is perfect. Show me any statistical analysis tool and I'll bet I could find faults and exceptions to it. They're just tools for comparison and discussion is all. :dunno:

For the record yes MSU did make a BCS game...Cuz if you read the criteria they made the cotton bowl (right?)

That's a new years 6 Bowl game....so they did get an extra 7 points. So you are wrong again...Blackshirt96

You do realize that the Cotton Bowl Classic is not a BCS game right? Look below for reference. The New Years Six is those Bowls along with the first round of the playoffs. Yes the Playoffs will use the Cotton Bowl location, but it is not a New Years Six Bowl. For reference you had a 4 loss Mississippi team win it in 2010.

• Rose Bowl – Big Ten champion and Pac-10/Pac-12 champion
  • Fiesta Bowl – Big 12 champion
  • Orange Bowl – ACC champion
  • Sugar Bowl – SEC champion

http://thebiglead.com/2015/12/06/college-football-playoffs-new-years-six-bowl-games-2016-announcers-times-point-spreads-ohio-state-notre-dame-fiesta/

I would be more then happy to continue pointing out your lack of knowledge for College Football & Statistics if you would like, while you try to defend & throw out personal attacks.

You really have missed the whole point, so I will try to explain slowly.Your values have no basis.

We have agreed that a 7-5 team has won a conference title giving them 10 points for a conference championship, 7 points for a BCS appearance & 7 points for their wins. Thats a total of 24 points in one season.

Now look at 2014 MSU. They finished 11-2, but did not make the CCG. They also did not make a BCS bowl game. So their point total is 11.

Here is another example.

2008 3-way tie of Texas, Oklahoma & Texas Tech. All three shared a CC. So here are there point totals for the season.

Texas - 12-1 - 12 points wins, 7 points BCS, Total 18 points

Texas Tech - 11-2 - 11 points wins Total 11 points

Oklahoma - 12-2 - 12 Points wins, 10 points CC, 15 points BCS Title App. Total 37 points.

Just an FYI Texas beat Oklahoma, but Oklahoma won the threeway tie breaker by being ranked hire. All three would have been large favorates over Missouri who made it from the North. Look at Texas the are down 19 points to Oklahoma & it could be argued that the tie breaker gave them an additional 19 points more then doubling what they got for a 12-1 season.

I've pulled 2 pretty good examples from memory, I'm sure I could find 100's more if I wanted to go thru the data.

Sure, these are examples that show the system isn't perfect. But no system of gauging team performance is perfect. Show me any statistical analysis tool and I'll bet I could find faults and exceptions to it. They're just tools for comparison and discussion is all. :dunno:

Your right most statistical analysis may have a small flaw, but they at least do an analysis on point structure. Not just I pulled this number out to show what I wanted to see. These also are not small point swings. They are multi-season point swings.

The problem I see with all this isn't the point structure but how the teams are were picked to go to BCS games as well as the NC. Sometimes it would help Ohio State, Oklahoma, Alabama, USC...etc. because of their names and money. This system also gave us games like Alabama/LSU for the National Championship.

For the record yes MSU did make a BCS game...Cuz if you read the criteria they made the cotton bowl (right?)

That's a new years 6 Bowl game....so they did get an extra 7 points. So you are wrong again...Blackshirt96

You do realize that the Cotton Bowl Classic is not a BCS game right? Look below for reference. The New Years Six is those Bowls along with the first round of the playoffs. Yes the Playoffs will use the Cotton Bowl location, but it is not a New Years Six Bowl. For reference you had a 4 loss Mississippi team win it in 2010.
  • Rose Bowl Big Ten champion and Pac-10/Pac-12 champion
  • Fiesta Bowl Big 12 champion
  • Orange Bowl ACC champion
  • Sugar Bowl SEC champion
http://thebiglead.com/2015/12/06/college-football-playoffs-new-years-six-bowl-games-2016-announcers-times-point-spreads-ohio-state-notre-dame-fiesta/

I would be more then happy to continue pointing out your lack of knowledge for College Football & Statistics if you would like, while you try to defend & throw out personal attacks.

Wrong. Yet again. It changed when they started the playoff. Keep up dude. You are digging a giant hole.

Peach, Cotton, Sugar, Rose, Orange, Fiesta.

The committee sets those games up. 2 of those are the playoff, the other 4 are the BCS type games.

When you do your research you should maybe look for the right information that changed as of last season. You sound so ignorant in your post the way you think you are right

Here's the wiki page but you can get the info from just about ANYWHERE else when you Google it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff

You have still missed the point.

I decided to give each category a point value.

Wins (1 pt each)

Conf Titles (10 points)

BCS/NY6 Bowls (7 points)

Playoff App (10 points)

National Championship App (15 points)

National Titles (25 points)

You made up point values with no reference or effect. There was no analysis done to rationalize the point spreads.

I picked the numbers I picked because I don't think a win over mcneese state is equal to a CCG win and so forth.

I though they were good values. I didn't do anything that I thought would really skew what I was trying to get across. I thought it was a fun thing to do.

Guess I won't even do it next time

This supports the original concern. You just slapped some numbers together without knowing the effect of the scale.

The Cotton Bowl was never a BCS Game. It was added as a location last year to the playoffs as I stated.

You have stated several times I am butt hurt. As you can tell that is not the case. I have only questioned your process. You are the one who has resorted to name calling & trying to side step the flaws I have pointed out. Another poster has even called you out by asking if you are five. If you go back and reread my first two posts you will see I was not attacking you. Only pointing out some concerns with the rankings. You took all questions of your rankings as a personal attack.

• Fire 1

I never said the cotton bowl was a BCS game. I said BCS type.

Your last quote of me...I said it was a new years 6 bowl. I also used the term BCS because I figured I wouldn't have to add another paragraph explaining what was meant by using that term.

Either way. What I did was for fun. If you can't handle it. Go somewhere else.

How else would you rank the point values? You haven't offered a solution, so you aren't helping in any way shape or form.

How would you change the point values to better reflect the info?

It's not a bad list (I think FSU is too high) but my only trepidation is for co-champs. Example: A team gets credit (Iowa) gets credit for 2 co-champ seasons, where they didn't even play the best teams in its conference (OSU or Michigan). Teams that play a CCG and lose to the champion don't get the bump.

It's not a bad list (I think FSU is too high) but my only trepidation is for co-champs. Example: A team gets credit (Iowa) gets credit for 2 co-champ seasons, where they didn't even play the best teams in its conference (OSU or Michigan). Teams that play a CCG and lose to the champion don't get the bump.

Yea. I can respect that. I was really only a problem in the Big10 and Pac10….

There were actually quite a few co-conference champions in the time frame of the information gathered. Specifically in the Big10 before the realignment process. A couple in the Pac10 as well before they started their CCG's