L Jack

Nebraska's Jackson goes 'home'

BY DIRK CHATELAIN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

Leon Jackson's work on the scout team last fall prepared him for a return to offense this spring.

LINCOLN - Young Leon Jackson was called to the headmaster's office soon after second semester started. There were issues to discuss. No one really knew who Leon was anymore. He was running all over, joining different crowds, pestering the older kids.

Perhaps an appointment, a serious heart-to-heart, would straighten things out.

The 19-year-old recalls his superior asking, "Leon, where are we going to put you?"

Uh oh.

"I want to go home," Jackson responded.

Uh oh.

Turns out, Bill Callahan's appreciation for Jackson has only grown since August, when the 6-foot-2, 210-pounder came to the coach with an idea. Turns out, home to Jackson doesn't mean Pasco, Washington; home is the offensive backfield.

Jackson barely spent enough game time on the field in 2005 to warrant shoe laces. On the practice field, he dabbled with offense, defense and special teams. The problem was as much his role as his performance.

Versatility holds high value on the basketball court or the soccer field, but football demands specialization, specific skills that one can repeat consistently. Coaches don't care much about a linebacker's tight spiral if he can't avoid a charging offensive tackle.

So when Jackson and Callahan sat down two months ago to discuss the kid's future, they needed to identify a role, or at least a position.

The options: free safety, receiver, I-back. If it were his decision, Callahan told Jackson, Leon would play all three.

Sorry, coach. Jackson chose the one he'd played since Pop Warner days, the one where he could most often touch the ball. Callahan obliged.

The decision means Jackson, labeled an "athlete" in recruiting circles, has completed his own circle in eight months.

During 2005 fall camp, Jackson noticed a logjam at I-back and an experience deficiency at free safety. He volunteered to switch positions. He wanted to get on the field.

Two months passed and Jackson never cracked the rotation. He sat behind starter Blake Tiedtke, Andrew Shanle and Tyler Fisher. In October, he said he wished he would've redshirted.

In high school, Jackson won the state 3-A 100-meter dash as a freshman and sophomore. He didn't even go out for track his last two years. He didn't love it. Last fall, he didn't love defense, either.

"I like to have the ball," Jackson said. "I want to be a weapon."

Jackson got a taste in November. He wasn't receiving many repetitions at safety, so one day assistant coach Bill Busch told him to switch to offense to help the scout team. His speed would help prepare the Blackshirts for Kansas State, Colorado and Michigan.

That's the only time Busch made the request, but Jackson kept leaving for the offensive sideline.

Former graduate assistant Aaron Stamn, who administered the scout team, instructed Jackson to work the Blackshirts as much as possible. If that meant catching the ball and cutting from one sideline to the next, go for it.

"When I say cutting back, I mean Barry Sanders cutting back," Jackson said. "Like the play would go right and I'd cut back left and go up the middle."

His antics - and ability - earned offensive scout team player of the year, despite just a month on the job. They also earned the ire of defenders. Before the Alamo Bowl, Jackson moseyed across the middle on a pass pattern. Senior LeKevin Smith raised his arm.

"Bam, I hit the ground," Jackson said. "He was like, 'I wasn't going to let you come through there.'"

The freshman initiation has now concluded. But in some ways, Jackson is back at square one: learning the offensive playbook. His role will likely include catching passes - he did a lot of that in high school - and challenging defensive edges.

Callahan said last week Jackson has the "ability to just line up anywhere on the field, whether it's dotting the 'I' or being in the offset position or being flanked out as a potential receiver on the perimeter."

Fellow sophomores Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn have an advantage in experience. That doesn't seem to bother Jackson. Why have one great back when you can have four or five, he says. It's a predicament he'd rather face at I-back than anywhere else.

"I'm glad I'm back."

i see it opposite. lucky hasnt shown anything to me and wilson has a speed learning curve, i think it will be a ljax glenn 1-2 punch.

If that is the case then lucky will be transferring.

wrong.......i agree with Eric.....this may be a season of situational playing time for up to 3 backs.....I think they will mix it up quite a bit, should keep defenses guessing somewhat, may even turn out to be a benefit......do you think Leon would be coming back over to the O side to warn the bench?? :wtf

he will get his time in the slot or somewhere......and Lucky transfer, i doubt that very much.....even if he did he would have to learn to block, pick up the rush and follow his lead blockers where ever he would go........he will learn here or go back to kickoff returns only......

hunter

i see it opposite. lucky hasnt shown anything to me and wilson has a speed learning curve, i think it will be a ljax glenn 1-2 punch.

wrong.......i agree with Eric.....this may be a season of situational playing time for up to 3 backs.....I think they will mix it up quite a bit, should keep defenses guessing somewhat, may even turn out to be a benefit......do you think Leon would be coming back over to the O side to warn the bench?? :wtf

he will get his time in the slot or somewhere......and Lucky transfer, i doubt that very much.....even if he did he would have to learn to block, pick up the rush and follow his lead blockers where ever he would go........he will learn here or go back to kickoff returns only......

hunter

up to 3 backs. We are going to have 5 who are going to want snaps. I see LEON towards the bottom of that list. Switching postions doesn't mean you are going to play anymore. HE has already switched about 5 times to different positions back and forth.

hunter

up to 3 backs. We are going to have 5 who are going to want snaps. I see LEON towards the bottom of that list. Switching postions doesn't mean you are going to play anymore. HE has already switched about 5 times to different positions back and forth.

You've often stated your issues with Coach Callahan. Coach Osborne had the same issues of talent and depth at running back for many years. Many schools such as USC, Texas, Miami have the same issues of talent and depth. Some players do transfer but the competition makes the team better and the best player will emerge.

:restore2

hunter

yep he sure has, very observant of you........but in case you DIDN'T NOTICE, he is back on the offensive side of the ball, where he was recruited to play, NOT DB!

i am also glad you have the depth chart figured out already, especially after only several spring practices........good job "coach"..... :blink:

hunter

And i think Auburn and USC are both examples that you can have more than one back be successful on your team in the same year.

I have been anticipating The Leon to make an impact in a big way. His blocking is the thing i have no idea about, but as far as knowing the playbook he has a lot of time to learn before next year, so he will have a jump on wilson. I Expect him to make the 3 deep early in the season unless BJax proves he isnt made of glass, and comes back in full form. I said it before, i think LJax will be a suprise at the spring game.... but its just a hunch, i have been wrong plenty of times before

Why do you think that someone will transfer before working hard and getting playing time? Not everyone in life is a quitter.

In 1995 Ahman Green was 4th on the depth chart to start the season. Then injuries and LP's legal problem occured and guess what, Ahman stepped up.

Nobody knows for sure how the RB situation is going to pan out, but I would be very surprised if injuries or other things didn't shake up the RB position at some point throughout the year. I don't think anyone will be transferring and until I see otherwise, I expect all players on the team to contribute at some point in their careers.

In 1995 Ahman Green was 4th on the depth chart to start the season. Then injuries and LP's legal problem occured and guess what, Ahman stepped up.

What having more then one quality RB isn't something new since Callahan came to Lincoln? ;)

I'm sure in 1995 Benard was talking of how Green was going to transfer because he wasn't going to see the field. :bang

I don't see a reason to be upset about haveing a stable of good backs. I don't know what will happen either, but I'm looking forward to find out.

If it were me, I'd be using a lot of 2 back sets and flip plays and audible to get what I want (ala NCAA FOOTBALL 2006).

I wonder how BC will use the backs, considering he doesn't like our FB situation.

Some HB option plays would be cool, too :woo

Bernard,

You need to learn to give people a chance. You have not given the coaching staff a chance and now some of the players.

Competition makes for a better team. Most people do not quit just because th going gets tough. If you have not learned that by now you are in for a lot of problems down the road in your life. Some ride the bench, some play and some never even get the chance.

Leon went to the D because the staff felt he might be able to play there. I really do not think the staff is sold on Lucky as being the single back. I look for Cody and Leon to emerge as the front runners. Both played in much tougher leagues and put up the same type of numbers that Marlon did in High school. The kid is lightning fast and has moves. Lets wait until the spring is over until we decide who is going to do what.

There is absolutely nothing to be negative about in this situsation. It is all good for the team. That means it is all good for the fans. Lighten up and embrace the change and the thought that we are getting closer to the elite teams on the talent level.