qbs for next year

Beck has a STRONGER arm. I think Taylor would be more accurate. And as much as I'm pulling for the kid he doesn't look like he's in the greatest shape when I see him on campus-and by that I mean beer gut. Taylor is the man right now, which gives Harry almost exactly 1 year to get his sh#t together to lead this team. I sure hope he can do it, but wouldn't be suprised if he's challenged hard for it next year.

Please point out in the article where it says Beck is struggling. Just because they want to bring in a couple more guys next year doesn't mean Beck is struggling. It means we didn't get one this year so they have to pick one more next year instead.

I was thinking the same thing. How did an article about the quarterback recruiting turn into a "Beck is struggling" post. Where did that come from?....Benard? It's a generally positive article that somehow you turned into a sour note.

Now, if you have other information about Beck's seemingly inability to grasp the system, please help us all and provide a link. I, myself, am staying out of "Club Eeyore".

Spring game is coming up...we can all assess Beck's performance, then.

I was just reading on a rivals100 board that the Texarkana High QB Mallett just narrowed his two schools to Texas (big shocker!) and Michigan. I could of sworn that he had NU as one of his favorites, didn't he? What is the fascination with Michigan? They are on TV all of the time, but that is just about it. What happened?

I was just reading on a rivals100 board that the Texarkana High QB Mallett just narrowed his two schools to Texas (big shocker!) and Michigan. I could of sworn that he had NU as one of his favorites, didn't he? What is the fascination with Michigan? They are on TV all of the time, but that is just about it. What happened?

he dropped us and favors michigan because they put a lot of QB's in the NFL and they are on TV all the damned time.

He'll get there. Let's not forget Taylor has roughly three years on Beck in being a college quarterback at any level.

The thing is next year Beck isn't going to have crap for Play experience because we don't beat anyone bad enough to get him in.

And we all know how accurate your predictions are, right?

Such, as, oh, your predictions about last season’s record?

Or your prediction about NU’s chances at the NCAA tournament?

Or your prediction that Incognito would clean up his act and have a great last season at Oregon?

Wait a minute - I know! Your uncanny ability to predict bowl winners! Remember this boast?

Given that claim, you must have finished first, right? Uh, no. Second? Nope. Surely you didn’t place out of the money, right? Wrong – not even in the top three.

Given your record, it appears a lock that Beck's going to see a lot of time under center in games this season...

:rollin

great burn BTW.

Encouraging article on BECK in LJS

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2006/0...75232565376.txt

Harrison Beck jogged past reporters after Monday’s practice. It was a quick jog, the kind that said, “Not today, fellas.”

Never mind that Beck was among those on the daily “interview request” list. Approached by a Nebraska sports information official, Beck kept jogging, never broke stride.

“I have a bad ankle,” Beck said with a half-smile, obviously joking, yet making his point.

The point is, Beck has made it clear he doesn’t want to grant many, if any, interviews during Nebraska’s 15-practice spring season. Perhaps it’s because he dislikes chit-chat with reporters. Can’t blame him. Or maybe, just maybe, Beck is choosing to focus on something considerably more important: That is, reducing the gap between he and starting quarterback Zac Taylor.

Advertisement

As it stands, the gap might pose problems for even the legendary Evel Knievel. In other words, the disparity between Taylor and Beck remains, well, significant.

Four practices down, 11 to go. It’s too early for panic, but not for scrutiny.

The good news is, Taylor’s proficiency helped create the gap between No. 1 and No. 2. The senior-to-be is steady and polished and determined to improve. He was good last season. Through four spring practices, he’s shown he might be ready to jump to another level, perhaps to an all-conference level.

Beck, meanwhile, struggles with consistency. No surprise there. It’s easy to forget he’s a freshman, easy to forget this is his first go-round with spring practice. What’s more, he’s a freshman who arrived on campus last summer with unwieldy expectations created by zealous recruiting gurus and media types (myself included) who dished up gobs of hyperbole. That’s not Beck’s fault. But he’s left to live with the ramifications.

Ramifications? How about a fan buzz that goes something like, “Is everything OK with Beck?”

Yes, everything’s OK with Beck, said Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell.

“I just think he’s focused,” the coach said. “I think he really wants to have a great season. I think he knows he can play a lot better than he played last season.”

You might remember Beck’s backup appearances in 2005. He lost the Kansas State game, then won the Kansas State game. He played a mop-up role at Colorado. All told, he was 1-for-10 passing.

Through four spring practices, Beck has been OK. Not bad, not great, just OK. He wows you with a perfect pass on a fade route. He rolls to his right off play-action and fires a completion to a tight end who never breaks stride. Indeed, he can be something to behold on roll-out plays.

However, Beck at times looks like an overwhelmed rookie. Saturday, in a 7-on-7 drill, without a pass rush, Beck misfired repeatedly and twice was intercepted by reserve safeties. In the aftermath, he endured some good-natured teasing from teammates. It’s not always easy being a freshman. Rookies, by rule, struggle with consistency.

“You have to operate without making mistakes,” Norvell said. “When you do that consistently, your teammates learn to trust you. It’s got to be earned.”

In short, it’s an interesting spring for coaches grooming Beck. They have to remind themselves to be patient. At the same time, with only 15 practices, coaches need to push hard for improvement.

Be patient, but hurry.

In considering a Nebraska quarterback’s calendar, you begin to understand why there’s a sense of urgency in developing Beck. In January and February, Husker QBs study West Coast offense principles, plays, pass protections and so forth. In March and April, they practice what they studied. Come fall, practices are geared toward game preparation.

“You can’t come into the fall and learn this offense,” Norvell said. “That’s hard to do.”

That calendar should give Beck an advantage on any 2007 Husker quarterback recruit, freshman or otherwise, assuming the recruit waits until summer to arrive on campus. Whatever. Such discussion can wait. This much is certain: This spring is vital for Beck.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Florida native reported to camp in good physical condition. His work ethic is “excellent,” Norvell said. Perhaps most important, Beck is receiving a steadier diet of practice repetitions than he did last fall.

“We’re just trying to get him as many repetitions in as many different situations as we can,” Norvell said. “There’s a comfort level you reach with the more repetitions you get, with the more times you’re in the huddle, with the more times you see a blitz, the more times you see different coverages, the more times you’re in pressure situations in competitive drills.

“Harrison just grows from every situation. And the more you see, the more things start to slow down.”

Norvell offered a healthy dose of perspective in noting that Taylor last season found his comfort zone against Kansas State, in the second-to-last regular-season game.

So, it makes sense that Beck needs more time to develop. Yet, as the top backup and as Taylor’s possible heir apparent, he needs to make haste in showing progress. Be patient, but hurry. After all, there’s a gap that needs to be closed.

No wonder the kid is declining interview requests.

Please point out in the article where it says Beck is struggling.  Just because they want to bring in a couple more guys next year doesn't mean Beck is struggling.  It means we didn't get one this year so they have to pick one more next year instead.

I'm afraid I'm guilty of supporting that one. My concern wasn't just going on the article, but also what they have been saying on the local news. They have been putting up stats on the QB's, as well as the RB's, and it didn't look like Beck's were too great so far in this very young season.

Sorry for the confusion. ;)

He'll get there. Let's not forget Taylor has roughly three years on Beck in being a college quarterback at any level.

The thing is next year Beck isn't going to have crap for Play experience because we don't beat anyone bad enough to get him in.

And we all know how accurate your predictions are, right?

Such, as, oh, your predictions about last season’s record?

Or your prediction about NU’s chances at the NCAA tournament?

Or your prediction that Incognito would clean up his act and have a great last season at Oregon?

Wait a minute - I know! Your uncanny ability to predict bowl winners! Remember this boast?

Given that claim, you must have finished first, right? Uh, no. Second? Nope. Surely you didn’t place out of the money, right? Wrong – not even in the top three.

Given your record, it appears a lock that Beck's going to see a lot of time under center in games this season...

:rollin

Wow, Benard is a regular Nostradumbass.

Please point out in the article where it says Beck is struggling.  Just because they want to bring in a couple more guys next year doesn't mean Beck is struggling.  It means we didn't get one this year so they have to pick one more next year instead.

I'm afraid I'm guilty of supporting that one. My concern wasn't just going on the article, but also what they have been saying on the local news. They have been putting up stats on the QB's, as well as the RB's, and it didn't look like Beck's were too great so far in this very young season.

Sorry for the confusion. ;)

Beck is struggling and not living up to the hype so far, whether some fans want to deny it or not. Hopefully he will get going.

I really think I would follow over and die if Benard ever (EVER!) listed actual facts or reasoning in his emails.

Never gonna happen.

Beck is struggling right now compared to Taylor. Taylor wasn't exactly conquering the world last year at this time. He got more comfortable as spring practice continued and had nice control of the offense when the spring game rolled around. Beck is a freshman. He's played about 2 quarters of DI college football against 2 of our biggest rivals. Taylor struggled last year against Maine. Beck just needs some time, I'm sure he'll be fine.