Commuting Distance

Really, the OP should lean on the environment that he grew up and has the most experience living in. For example, I grew up in Omaha, so I could never live in a town in 10-20K people. I go to Hastings to see my wife's family and think "what do people do here?". Even if the small town is within a 30 minute drive of the bigger city, the OP is going to spend the majority of his time in that small town. Now, if the OP is used to living in a small town, he may be able to survive that type of living situation.

Why??? That makes no sense.

I grew up in a small town and still was able greatly enjoy living in s large city. Now back to small town and love it.

I work with a guy from south side of Chicago and he loves living in small town Nebraska.

Why would you limit yourself?

Ok, so maybe some people are comfortable from going to a small town to a big city, and vice versa. Some people have the ability to be comfortable living in any situation.

The OP asked for advice, and he has been given advice on both sides of the equation.

Sorry if my response came off snarly. I just hate it when people limit themselves because..."I didn't grow up that way". There are fantastic places to live and opportunities in all sizes of communities.

Your comments about Hastings reminds me of when we lived in Des Moines and were moving back here. I had people ask..."What are you going to do in a small town?" Well, since moving here, we have been way busier than any time we lived around Des Moines to the point that I can't imagine adding anything else to my "things to do".

Anyway.....to each their own happiness.

My post was not the best post. Your response was fair. People have different priorities and they change throughout their life. As long as they are happy, that's all that matters.

Really, the OP should lean on the environment that he grew up and has the most experience living in. For example, I grew up in Omaha, so I could never live in a town in 10-20K people. I go to Hastings to see my wife's family and think "what do people do here?". Even if the small town is within a 30 minute drive of the bigger city, the OP is going to spend the majority of his time in that small town. Now, if the OP is used to living in a small town, he may be able to survive that type of living situation.

I grew up in a small town and still was able greatly enjoy living in s large city. Now back to small town and love it.

I work with a guy from south side of Chicago and he loves living in small town Nebraska.

Ok, so maybe some people are comfortable from going to a small town to a big city, and vice versa. Some people have the ability to be comfortable living in any situation.

The OP asked for advice, and he has been given advice on both sides of the equation.

Sorry if my response came off snarly. I just hate it when people limit themselves because..."I didn't grow up that way". There are fantastic places to live and opportunities in all sizes of communities.

Your comments about Hastings reminds me of when we lived in Des Moines and were moving back here. I had people ask..."What are you going to do in a small town?" Well, since moving here, we have been way busier than any time we lived around Des Moines to the point that I can't imagine adding anything else to my "things to do".

My post was not the best post. Your response was fair. People have different priorities and they change throughout their life. As long as they are happy, that's all that matters.

You should be banned!

I commuted 45 miles one way for 15 years when I used to teach scool. I enjoyed the time in the car. It wasn't heavy traffic or anyting. In the morning it was my time to think about what I was doiing that day and at night is was a great wind down time. The only time I didn't like it was when I would get home at midnight from a football game or wrestling match.

I live in a small town close to the larger city. I like it. I think people that grew up in a large city often have the sense that there is nothing to do in a small town. I have had just as much fun in the local dirt farmer bar on a Friday night as I have in any sports bar/brew pub in the city, and the drinks are a lot cheaper. It is just a personal preverence.

My brother has lived in LA area for 20 years and is now moving to Baltimore. His wife would never live in a small town, she grew up in Bellevue. The thing I always found funny was that they would never live in a small town, but we never really did anything exciting when we would go to see them. They do have In-and-Out burger I will give them that. :cheers

• 1 month later...

This may sound odd, but consider the sun as a factor in your commute. You'd rather commute north/south than east/west, or if you have to commute east/west, you'd rather drive west in the morning and east at night.

Driving looking into the sun both ways can be stressful. Not maybe very high on the list of factors, but it's something to think about if you can choose a home anywhere.

^^^I came here just to say this.

Not odd sounding at all. I've had different jobs with different types of commutes: long, short, freeway, small streets/hwys, big city inner streets, open country through multiple small towns.... the commutes I hated the most were when I had the sun in my face hands down.

When I moved last, I deliberately only looked at houses that were east of where I worked. Any other factors were manageable, but I absolutely did not want to face the sun twice a day every damn day for the rest of my life.

Manfred Mann shoulda listened to his mama