Donald Trump vs. The Pope

It's allowed. I was going to say it seems you aren't religious, but I did not want to presume. The message is the same as far as respect goes. From the few back-and-forths I read above it seems the language is going in a rather inflammatory direction. I'd like to head that off, that's all.

It's allowed. I was going to say it seems you aren't religious, but I did not want to presume. The message is the same as far as respect goes. From the few back-and-forths I read above it seems the language is going in a rather inflammatory direction. I'd like to head that off, that's all.

Fair enough. I will tiptoe into the fray. ;)

Moe, I take it you're not a Catholic. Please don't be an ass to those who might be.

You'll find a lot of civil, good discussions even in the P&R forum here between people who come from very different places and disagree strongly, but have great personal respect for each other. Let's try for that.

I am not attacking Catholicism. I am saying that the human concept of God...all of them...is fictional. Is that view not allowed here?

You are free to hold any opinion that suits you. But this thread is about the Pope's remarks concerning Donald Trump. It isn't the place to troll other posters with snarky remarks supporting your opinion on the nonexistence of God. I should mention that billions of people believe in God. For various reasons. Here is mine. LINK If you want to debate whether or not God exists, start a thread on that topic. Don't pollute this thread.

• Fire 4

Moe, I take it you're not a Catholic. Please don't be an ass to those who might be.

You'll find a lot of civil, good discussions even in the P&R forum here between people who come from very different places and disagree strongly, but have great personal respect for each other. Let's try for that.

I am not attacking Catholicism. I am saying that the human concept of God...all of them...is fictional. Is that view not allowed here?

You are free to hold any opinion that suits you. But this thread is about the Pope's remarks concerning Donald Trump. It isn't the place to troll other posters with snarky remarks supporting your opinion on the nonexistence of God. I should mention that billions of people believe in God. For various reasons. Here is mine. LINK If you want to debate whether or not God exists, start a thread on that topic. Don't pollute this thread.

Yes, his remarks manipulating the American public based on superstition. Like it or not, his remarks are exactly what I am talking about. I am not making a case for God not existing. I am addressing the fact that the Pope is attempting to use religion as a weapon here. You are the one being snarky now. Do you disagree with my take? Do you think as a non-believer, this has no affect on me or that I should not have an opinion?

I disagree that the Pope is using religion as a weapon. The Pope is in Mexico for reasons unrelated to the United States election. Because we have leading presidential candidates making inflammatory remarks about their country, he was presented with some of Trump's statements and asked about it. He responded with a characterization of the viewpoint that is hardly surprising -- that the ideas expressed as presented to him do not seem very Christian. As Pontiff, presenting or clarifying Church positions is central to what he does.

I disagree that he went out of his way to remark on Trump's personal religion, but he could have made that more clear I suppose. And on this point I happen to agree with Pope Francis: 'build bridges, not walls' is not only an admirable Christian sentiment, but a worthy humanist one as well.

Yes, his remarks manipulating the American public based on superstition.

I don't think the Pope phrased his answer very well . But I don't see how how his remarks are based on superstition. Some reporter asked him a question. And he answered it. :dunno:

I disagree that the Pope is using religion as a weapon. The Pope is in Mexico for reasons unrelated to the United States election. Because we have leading presidential candidates making inflammatory remarks about their country, he was presented with some of Trump's statements and asked about it. He responded with a characterization of the viewpoint that is hardly surprising -- that the ideas expressed as presented to him do not seem very Christian. As Pontiff, presenting or clarifying Church positions is central to what he does.

I disagree that he went out of his way to remark on Trump's personal religion, but he could have made that more clear I suppose. And on this point I happen to agree with Pope Francis: 'build bridges, not walls' is not only an admirable Christian sentiment, but a worthy humanist one as well.

He is using it as a weapon in my opinion because he is either a) challenging Trump as to whether he is truly a Christian or not...which is completely valid as Trump seems to only be playing the Christian card because it has to be done to be elected in America, or b) with the manipulation of using his own outlook to show how Trump should approach certain topics. Its a weapon because the Pope is a representation of a substantial chunk of American voters.

I also agree with the Pope's bottom line...but that bottom line doesn't have to be framed with being a Christian and more importantly, the Pope doesn't need to directly call out certain candidates as if to play favorites.

Yes, his remarks manipulating the American public based on superstition.

I don't think the Pope phrased his answer very well . But I don't see how how his remarks are based on superstition. Some reporter asked him a question. And he answered it. :dunno:

I am saying his manipulation of the American public is based on superstition, not his remarks. And I don't have an issue with the gist of his message but rather the focus he seems to have on Trump. Is he also going to pick apart other candidates for things he objects to?

Full disclosure: I feel Trump would be an entertaining disaster for the US so please don't confuse me as a Trump supporter. I just don't feel the Pope needs to single out specific candidates to make a point.

I am saying his manipulation of the American public is based on superstition, not his remarks.

Are you referring to the Pope, or Trump?

They both seem to be good at getting some people to follow them simply by saying what they want to hear.

Without a doubt.

I am saying his manipulation of the American public is based on superstition, not his remarks. And I don't have an issue with the gist of his message but rather the focus he seems to have on Trump. Is he also going to pick apart other candidates for things he objects to?

As to your second sentence, it's make believe. He was asked a question about Donald Trump, and responded with an answer about Donald Trump. Per your posts in this thread, am I to conclude that you have a focus on God? You seem to be mentioning God quite a bit in your responses. As to the superstition, I would love to see your empirical findings of how exactly it is superstition.

This moesker guy really came out of the woodwork

If you have something to say, say it. I can handle it.

I already said it. You quoted it up above there ^. It's almost always amusing and interesting to see when people show up throwing their weight around, dismissing others, and expecting to be taken seriously when they have no clout in the community or just pop up out of nowhere.