McMullen Taking Leave of Absence - Retiring from Football

The hatred just jumps off the screen there. Clearly rivers of bad blood between those guys.

I see absolutely no reason to believe McMullen isn't leaving on good terms.

I am sure McMullen is leaving on good terms with most of the coaches. However, he makes a point in that Banker seems distant and aloof. To me, Banker seems to be one coach who has been caught off-guard by the amount of media coverage and overall attention that the football program gets in the state of Nebraska. Riley and most of the staff has done a good job adjusting, but old-guys like Cavanaugh and Banker seem to have struggled. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I would think it was his position coaches job to stay in contact and to keep him informed of all the necessary goings on. It seems kind silly to expect Banker to do those things for every defensive player on the team.

Yes, players will have the closest relationship with their position coaches. But, for Banker to not have any contact or relationship with a guy who started numerous games last year is really odd, and yes I put the blame on Banker.

I'm betting the reality is a bit different than the ambiguous tweets.

I would think it was his position coaches job to stay in contact and to keep him informed of all the necessary goings on. It seems kind silly to expect Banker to do those things for every defensive player on the team.

A starter and key part (probably captain) is one who you'd think would receive some semi-regular contact. Doesn't sound like GM reached out, either. HOwever, if you want to ingratiate yourself to your players, you would think some regular friendly catch ups would be appropriate.

Especially if the players' position coach was dismissed recently.

It was odd when Banker seemed in the dark at the spring game. This sheds some light on that.

• Fire 2