McMullen Taking Leave of Absence - Retiring from Football

If his heart is not in it anymore, we ought not have him taking up a roster place for a young guy looking to be a Husker! We need DTs and there has never been a better time to join the program if you dream of becoming the next Suh! Good luck to all our past present and future Husker players - follow your dreams.

I can understand Foreman's frustration. Foreman was a ex Blackshirt and McMullen has been a starter for what 3 years?

With McMullen coming back to start for his 3rd/4th year but deciding to quit football, not only did he quit on his teammates but he quit on former Blackshirts as well

• Fire 2

I can understand Foreman's frustration. Foreman was a ex Blackshirt and McMullen has been a starter for what 3 years?

With McMullen coming back to start for his 3rd/4th year but deciding to quit football, not only did he quit on his teammates but he quit on former Blackshirts as well

I suppose you can look at this like McMullen is quitting on his teammates and anyone else you want to lump in there.

He's not likely to be playing in the NFL on Sundays so this isn't a bad decision for him. He's leaving football to pursue the rest of his life and there is nothing wrong with that at all. He also has a definitive plan for his life and he wants to follow it. From where I stand, that doesn't make him a quitter.

• Fire 3

Make no mistake. This hurts our team. We've already lost quite a bit from last year's D-line. Losing McMullen will hurt. But if this is what Greg wants, I wish him the best. It's perplexing though. I mean, most guys would jump at the chance to play D1 ball. For every guy that's on the team there are 20 that aspired to play but didn't get the call. And McMullen is just walking away from it. People in this thread think Jay Foreman is being overly harsh. But I'll bet in a few years McMullen will look back and regret this decision. Oh well, I guess the team will move on too. :dunno:

I know at least as many guys who regret playing football as I do who regret hanging it up early. Many guys I played with won't let their kids play. The game is really hard on your body, especially when you play on the line.

McMullen gave four years to the program, no? I don't see how this is "quitting" when you have your degree and simply choose to start your life.

Sub point: if this is quitting, then every player who ever left early for the draft has quit on his teammates.

• Fire 6

Sub point: if this is quitting, then every player who ever left early for the draft has quit on his teammates.

This.

If what Riley says is true then I am proud of McMullen.

I do wonder what that DL room was like last year and what was really happening there. Two go to the draft early, 2 leave, 1 coach fired. That isn't normal.

This.

If what Riley says is true then I am proud of McMullen.

I do wonder what that DL room was like last year and what was really happening there. Two go to the draft early, 2 leave, 1 coach fired. That isn't normal.

Wasn't there word floating around for a bit that said VV's main reason for leaving was he didn't want to play for Hughes?