Go to Church and live longer says this study

To spread the word of the most meaty of heavenly deities, here's my meatball recipe. May you munch in peace.

Olive oil

1 yellow onion, fine dice

2 garlic cloves, mooshed

2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves

Milk to cover the bread

4 thick slices firm white bread, crust removed

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1 1/2 pounds ground pork

1 or 2 large eggs

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan (the good stuff, not Kraft dried)

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

About two hours before you make your meatballs, dry the bread. When semi-dry, cut into strips about 1/3 to 1/4 inch wide. Turn, then cut into cubes. Toss with milk in bowl, just enough to moisten the bread.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (this ain't France and that goof Celsius nonsense). Heat a large saucepan of nice red sauce on medium-low. Make sure there's enough room in this pan to stir later.

Saute onion in olive oil until fragrant. Add mooshed garlic, saute another three or four minutes, then add parsley and cook another two minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

Gently squeeze excess milk from bread cubes, keeping the cubes mostly intact. Add the cooled onion mixture and toss gently.

In a large bowl, combine beef & pork, salt & pepper, egg, parmesan & bread/onion mix.

Set a large (14") oven-safe pan on 3/4 heat, and when hot add olive oil. Heat to a fine shimmer, so the olive oil is fragrant.

This is where you get your hands dirty. Turning & mixing gently, combine everything into a goopy mass. Don't lick your fingers.

Once the oil is hot, form meatballs by hand at about 1 1/4 in diameter, dropping them into the pan as you go. Fry the meatballs in batches, don't overcrowd the pan. I put about one dozen in a 14" fry pan. If you need to do two batches, deglaze the pan with white wine, scrape the gnarly bits off the bottom and pour this into your sauce - this is the magic. Don't throw it away. Flip your meatballs so each side fries nicely. Mine end up kinda triangular shaped - this is OK. Perfectly round meatballs come from factories and taste like crap.

Repeat frying until all meatballs are seared on the outside, but not totally cooked through. Separate your meatballs into what you'll eat tonight and what you'll freeze. Half a batch is enough for a meal for four adults plus some leftover.

Deglaze your pan with white wine when the meatballs are done, scraping the bottom so you have a clean pan, pouring the scrapings into your sauce. Stir your sauce so all the gnarly bits are incorporated, then pour your sauce back into your fry pan. Set about a dozen meatballs (roughly half your batch) into the sauce, making sure not to overflow the pan. Place the pan with sauce & meatballs in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce is heated. Freeze the rest of the meatballs, or if you have a large party for dinner bake them all in a 9x13 pan. Cover them with sauce while they bake so the flavor from the meatballs and sauce all swaps and gets good.

Remove from oven, serve over cooked .5 spaghetti with some fresh parmesan grated over the top.

Be sure and salt your pasta water. It should taste like the sea. Toss a bay leaf in your water when you turn the heat on, and douse your cooked pasta in a bit of olive oil once you've cooked it and returned it to the pot.

Also, use a garlic moosher. Your fancy chefs will tell you this is evil, but they're stupid and don't listen to them. Pop the ends off your garlic, bop it with the flat of your knife so the paper pops off, then moosh it into your pan.

This is my moosher. I love it.

NUdLhxh.jpg

• Fire 2

I mark this up to a similar type study that shows high income people live longer than low income people.

Certain groups live life styles that allow them to live longer and some live lifestyles that are very harsh on their bodies and they live shorter lives.

A wealthy person is probably more likely to eat right, exercise and not be hooked on harsh drugs or severe alcohol problems.

The same may be true for people who go to church.

No....I know there are wealthy people who do drugs and drink too much. I know there are church people who are fat and don't exercise...etc.

However, we are talking bout averages here of very large groups. So, on average, a wealthy person who goes to church makes healthier choices in life than a poor person who doesn't.

Thanks Knapp for the recipe - I'm going to share that wt my wife and see what we can cook up. Knapp - you will live as long as us church people - you are a Member of the Church of Husker where the fellowship never ends - Love you Brother!

BRB - agree 100% Our life situation mixed wt choices go along ways in helping us live longer.