Langsdorf Mulling Options for 2016 Offense

The Omaha paper dropped this fact the other day...

When looking at the experience (starts) of the offensive lineman of this years B1G teams.

Michigan is 1st in the B1G with 108 starts... and 8th in the nation (division 1).

Nebraska is last in the B1G with 24 starts... and 121st (out of 124 teams) in the nation (division 1).

We have our work cut out for us.

I really don't have a problem with this stat.

I have no problems with that statistic.

It doesn't matter if you have a "problem" with the numbers.

Knowledgeable football people would know that this is one of the most, if not the single most important factor in determining the type of plays called and the emphasis of our play calling this year. Langsdorf would be among those that would/should know this. That's why the Omaha paper brought it up.

It ALL starts up front... on both sides of the ball.

It doesn't matter if you don't have a problem with the numbers...numbers/statistics can be misleading. I have no problems with statistics that have no correlating conclusion that can be absolutely drawn from them each and every time they are used.

Knowledgeable people would also know that talented linemen with little experience can be just as good or better than the most experienced line out there...for example, tOSU's run to the national championship with a very talented but inexperienced line (only a junior tackle and senior tight end returned on OL).

They also recruit in the top 5-8 every year. NU doesn't. Not even Close.

So does Texas. Have fun with your ulcer from worrying. I'll wait and see what happens and be optimistic.

Who said I was worried? Nebraska's record or any teams record at the end of the day doesn't bother me.

If TA's throwing motion and footwork has improved enough since last season, look for Nebraska to have the #1 passing offense in the Big 10 this season (a very strong returning group of receivers, a more experienced O-Line, a solid Defense, and a relatively easy schedule gives the Huskers serious potential to make a run for the Big 10 title this season).

The Omaha paper dropped this fact the other day...

When looking at the experience (starts) of the offensive lineman of this years B1G teams.

Michigan is 1st in the B1G with 108 starts... and 8th in the nation (division 1).

Nebraska is last in the B1G with 24 starts... and 121st (out of 124 teams) in the nation (division 1).

We have our work cut out for us.

I really don't have a problem with this stat.

I have no problems with that statistic.

It doesn't matter if you have a "problem" with the numbers.

Knowledgeable football people would know that this is one of the most, if not the single most important factor in determining the type of plays called and the emphasis of our play calling this year. Langsdorf would be among those that would/should know this. That's why the Omaha paper brought it up.

It ALL starts up front... on both sides of the ball.

Which is exactly where the weakness is on both sides as well.

I mean it's cool to be hopeful and optimistic, but that's all it is. NU has talent at receiver and average talent at RB but I can't see a scenario where Tommy isn't running for his life every time he passes. I don't see NU being any better than 8-5 (Bowl Included) at the end of the year given the recipe NU has with personnel.

I don't feel great about saying it, but it's my opinion. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm wondering if the Omaha paper ran the numbers on our defensive line... if the numbers would be pretty close to the same as our offensive line experience numbers.

If TA's throwing motion and footwork has improved enough since last season, look for Nebraska to have the #1 passing offense in the Big 10 this season (a very strong returning group of receivers, a more experienced O-Line, a solid Defense, and a relatively easy schedule gives the Huskers serious potential to make a run for the Big 10 title this season).

Uh... sorry... we don't have that.

See page one of this thread.

Our biggest assets this year are... a great receiver group... Wilbon... and "easy schedule".

We'll know soon enough what we have.

• Fire 1

64324088.jpg

• Fire 2

Uh... sorry... we don't have that.

See page one of this thread.

Our biggest assets this year are... a great receiver group... Wilbon... and "easy schedule".

We'll know soon enough what we have.

All we need is for TA to either start checking down to the RB's or running the ball on passing plays that turn into broken plays when there is nothing open downfield. When he forces those passes downfield trying to make plays is when he throws his Int's. The coaches don't have enough time with him undo the lack of coaching he had with the previous staff. You can tell that they told him (as they did TA) that if there was nothing open just "make a play" which led to both making some horrible throws and turnovers.

If he does that there is no reason that we shouldn't have 9-10 wins. If he keeps on throwing the ball late downfield like he did last year, then we will be having a lot more close games and possibly losses mainly due to his bad decision making.

64324088.jpg

We don't have the OL or the RB's to run the ball like we used to. Our opponents stack the box to make us throw knowing that TA is terrible in the intermediate/short passing game and they have a 50/50 shot at getting a turnover on his long throws.

All we need is for TA to either start checking down to the RB's or running the ball on passing plays that turn into broken plays when there is nothing open downfield. When he forces those passes downfield trying to make plays is when he throws his Int's. The coaches don't have enough time with him undo the lack of coaching he had with the previous staff. You can tell that they told him (as they did TA) that if there was nothing open just "make a play" which led to both making some horrible throws and turnovers.

If he does that there is no reason that we shouldn't have 9-10 wins. If he keeps on throwing the ball late downfield like he did last year, then we will be having a lot more close games and possibly losses mainly due to his bad decision making.

is

We don't have the OL or the RB's to run the ball like we used to. Our opponents stack the box to make us throw knowing that TA is terrible in the intermediate/short passing game and they have a 50/50 shot at getting a turnover on his long throws.

I agree.

The team that's masterful at that is Ohio State.

Sometimes I watch games on the internet because they will show the entire game from the Sky Cam. The SC gives you great look at how plays develop... line blocking... fullback blocking... what the quarterback sees looking down field...the whole picture. I watched a couple of Ohio State games last year and I was amazed at how they did exactly what you described. They develop those kind of plays to perfection.

We have a similar style/skills quarterback... TA is made for those type of plays.

However it all depends on the level of play by the offensive line. They need to be able to hold off the defense long enough... for those kind of plays to work.

We'll know soon enough if we can do that.

A balanced attack will always be more deadly than per say a heavy rushing attack. This is the B1G. Everyone runs and can stop the run for the most part. Being too one dimensional is a call for another 6-7 season.

So would you say we were balanced last year?

And what would you say is a "heavy rushing attack"?

I've got a small piece of beachfront property outside of McCook for those who think the UCLA gameplan is feasible for this season.

Against UCLA we averaged 5.3 yards per rush. Our leading rusher (Ozigbo) averaged 4.1 yards per rush.

Other games last year where our stats were at least that good (adjusting for sacks):

Averaged at least 5.3 ypa as a team: South Alabama, Southern Miss, Wisconsin and Purdue (averaged 5.0 against MSU)

Leading rusher averaged at least 4.1: BYU, South Alabama, Miami, Southern Miss, Illinois, Wisconsin*, Minnesota, Purdue, Michigan State and Rutgers.

So the UCLA game was actually the THIRD WORST AVERAGE by our leading rusher for the ENTIRE SEASON - I put an asterisk by Wisconsin because Janovich was over but Newby was under and they tied for rushing leader. The only other games that were worse than UCLA were Northwestern - where we insisted upon running it directly at their defensive tackle the entire game - and Iowa.

It's not that it couldn't work. It's that we refused to do it. And now we have better run blockers starting on the offensive line.

So you can try to convince yourself that it won't work if that makes you feel better about the plays being called. But there is nothing statistically to back up that assertion. In fact, the stats tell the exact opposite.

This is Nebraska. People will be banging that drum until the cows come home. Any OC worth his salt should be looking at this offense and trying to think of ways to get the ball into the hands of Carter, Reilly, Morgan, Westerkamp, etc.
Flowchart:
Did NU win a Natty?
Yes: Passing was OK I guess.
No: Run the Damn Ball!
I did like the UCLA blueprint. I liked the Michigan State game, too, though. I'm excited to see what Langs has in store this year.

Michigan State game through the first drive of the fourth quarter: 32 runs, 24 passes - 57% rushing

I'd be just fine with that game plan as well. I don't think it was all that much different from the UCLA game plan. MSU was #11 in the country against the run while UCLA was #98 so we ended up passing more against MSU but we actually tried to run the ball against MSU and had pretty good success at it.

Pretty sure that was one of the highest rushing games MSU gave up all year. So it also kind of shoots down the notion that we could only run against bad rush defenses.

This is Nebraska. People will be banging that drum until the cows come home. Any OC worth his salt should be looking at this offense and trying to think of ways to get the ball into the hands of Carter, Reilly, Morgan, Westerkamp, etc.
Flowchart:
Did NU win a Natty?
I did like the UCLA blueprint. I liked the Michigan State game, too, though. I'm excited to see what Langs has in store this year.

Michigan State game through the first drive of the fourth quarter: 32 runs, 24 passes - 57% rushing

I'd be just fine with that game plan as well. I don't think it was all that much different from the UCLA game plan. MSU was #11 in the country against the run while UCLA was #98 so we ended up passing more against MSU but we actually tried to run the ball against MSU and had pretty good success at it.

Pretty sure that was one of the highest rushing games MSU gave up all year. So it also kind of shoots down the notion that we could only run against bad rush defenses.

And Nebraska was still down 31-26 at that point, soooooooo........

Flowchart:
Did NU win a Natty?

Love it or hate it, but with the solid returning receivers group & relatively weak RB's this season, look for Nebraska to pass around 70% of the time (provided TA is able to make good decisions with the ball). TA should easily break the Huskers' all-time records for yards passing, pass attempts, and passing TD's this season (but hopefully not INT's!).