Langsdorf Mulling Options for 2016 Offense

You know what both of those game plans had in common Zoogs? Nebraska make a concerted effort to run the ball and stick with it both games.

I wouldn't say it was a "concerted" effort to run against MSU; it was almost a perfect 50/50 split in terms of run/pass ratio (36/33), with almost double the yards coming through the air (320-179).

• Fire 1

If you go back and watch the game we were getting tons of yards running early in the game but by the 4th quarter we started to assert ourselves up front. By halftime of the Purdue game we had pretty much abandoned the run. A team which ranked about the same as UCLA at stopping the run. Also I believe MSU was in the top 10 at stopping the run so 179 yards rushing is a very solid performance.

• Fire 1

If you go back and watch the game we were getting tons of yards running early in the game but by the 4th quarter we started to assert ourselves up front. By halftime of the Purdue game we had pretty much abandoned the run. A team which ranked about the same as UCLA at stopping the run. Also I believe MSU was in the top 10 at stopping the run so 179 yards rushing is a very solid performance.

Purdue was a failure by everyone, that much has been established. All it proves is we were incredibly inconsistent.

Let me put it another way: I really liked some of the games last year where Tommy willed the team forward with his arm. We have some dangerous receivers and a beast of a TE, and they showed that on the field. Keep giving them the ball.

By the way, "let's find a way to get a particular TE/WR involved in our passing game" is common parlance. You don't usually hear this about RBs. The answer for how to get a particular RB the ball in the ground game tends to be "Line up the player at RB."

Again, a bit of a misnomer. Cross was the only one who was consistently getting yards; he finished with 18 carries and 5.4 per carry. Jano had some big runs, but he only carried the ball 4 times, while Tommy only averaged 2.7 a carry. The rest of the attempts are filled with Jet Sweeps, and Newby's 2 yards per carry.

What can cloud memories are the big runs that occurred. Cross had two to three big carries, as did Tommy. If you take their longs for the game(Cross for 21 and Tommy for 17), Cross ended with 17 carries/77 yards (4.5 per) and Tommy ends with 6 carries and a whopping 2 yards. I don't think I need to calculate the YPC for that one.

The Omaha paper dropped this fact the other day...

When looking at the experience (starts) of the offensive lineman of this years B1G teams.

Michigan is 1st in the B1G with 108 starts... and 8th in the nation (division 1).

Nebraska is last in the B1G with 24 starts... and 121st (out of 124 teams) in the nation (division 1).

We have our work cut out for us.

Wow. Good point.

When looking at the experience (starts) of the offensive lineman of this years B1G teams.

Michigan is 1st in the B1G with 108 starts... and 8th in the nation (division 1).

Nebraska is last in the B1G with 24 starts... and 121st (out of 124 teams) in the nation (division 1).

I really don't have a problem with this stat. I think we have some good young talent on the line and I'm excited to see how they do. Sure...there might be a mistake here or there, but, they should grow as a unit as the season goes along.

I really don't have a problem with this stat. I think we have some good young talent on the line and I'm excited to see how they do. Sure...there might be a mistake here or there, but, they should grow as a unit as the season goes along.

I don't either, especially with who is getting replaced or has exhausted eligibility.

I really don't have a problem with this stat.

I have no problems with that statistic.

It doesn't matter if you have a "problem" with the numbers.

Knowledgeable football people would know that this is one of the most, if not the single most important factor in determining the type of plays called and the emphasis of our play calling this year. Langsdorf would be among those that would/should know this. That's why the Omaha paper brought it up.

It ALL starts up front... on both sides of the ball.

Knowledgeable football people would know that this is one of the most, if not the single most important factor in determining the type of plays called and the emphasis of our play calling this year. Langsdorf would be among those that would/should know this. That's why the Omaha paper brought it up.

Which is exactly where the weakness is on both sides as well.

I mean it's cool to be hopeful and optimistic, but that's all it is. NU has talent at receiver and average talent at RB but I can't see a scenario where Tommy isn't running for his life every time he passes. I don't see NU being any better than 8-5 (Bowl Included) at the end of the year given the recipe NU has with personnel.

I don't feel great about saying it, but it's my opinion. Hope I'm wrong.

• Fire 1

It doesn't matter if you don't have a problem with the numbers...numbers/statistics can be misleading. I have no problems with statistics that have no correlating conclusion that can be absolutely drawn from them each and every time they are used.

Knowledgeable people would also know that talented linemen with little experience can be just as good or better than the most experienced line out there...for example, tOSU's run to the national championship with a very talented but inexperienced line (only a junior tackle and senior tight end returned on OL).

They also recruit in the top 5-8 every year. NU doesn't. Not even Close.

You can sit a and wring your hands all day about this or you can just wait and see. The athletic talent of the o-linemen that will be starting this year is overall batter than what started last year. On the defensive side of the ball the talent level is at least as good and most likely better than what left. It is always great to have returning starters, but it just doesn't happen all the time.

Next year NU will be on the top of the list for number of starts and Michigan will be farther down the list.

In my experience coaching HS FB if players have talent even if they lack experiecne they ususally step up and play pretty well. They know it is there turn and they have to perform.

You can sit a and wring your hands all day about this or you can just wait and see.

No hand wringing or worrying of any kind on my part. We will know soon enough what we have this year.

I was simply pointing out what factors go into the decisions being made by Langsdorf this year. Everyone was talking about our quarterback, receivers and rb's but no one was mentioning the most obvious factor... our offensive line.

Facts are nothing to be afraid of. We have a very inexperienced offensive line this year. It's ok to talk about it. If I were sitting at home talking football with other Nebraska football fans and other not Nebraska football fans... we would be talking about it.

Which is exactly where the weakness is on both sides as well.

I mean it's cool to be hopeful and optimistic, but that's all it is. NU has talent at receiver and average talent at RB but I can't see a scenario where Tommy isn't running for his life every time he passes. I don't see NU being any better than 8-5 (Bowl Included) at the end of the year given the recipe NU has with personnel.

I don't feel great about saying it, but it's my opinion. Hope I'm wrong.

Great comment as always from you. Thanks for your honesty.

GBR

• Fire 1