Thin at QB

I think they were talking about giving Carriker some snaps, you know he played QB in high school. :)

Three QB's should be plenty. Taylor will play the whole first half and maybe some of the second. Ganz will get lots of reps and Davis should get a lot in the second.

My guess is we stress the running game anyway, so having a reduced number of QB's isn't going to be that big of a deal. I don't see the coaches putting people there just for the sake of having more bodies.

I think they were talking about giving Carriker some snaps, you know he played QB in high school. :)

Three QB's should be plenty. Taylor will play the whole first half and maybe some of the second. Ganz will get lots of reps and Davis should get a lot in the second.

My guess is we stress the running game anyway, so having a reduced number of QB's isn't going to be that big of a deal. I don't see the coaches putting people there just for the sake of having more bodies.

I think Taylor goes about 3-4 series and then sits. He'll be wearing the green jersey.

NU football notebook, 4-11: QB Beck may miss Red-White Game

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 - 12:08:58 am CDT

Nebraska backup quarterback Harrison Beck missed Monday’s practice because of recurring hamstring and shoulder soreness, raising the possibility that he may miss Saturday’s Red-White Game.

“Hopefully, he’ll feel better in the next couple of days and we’ll get him out here before the end of spring,” NU offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said Monday after the Huskers moved outdoors for the first time this spring for the 12th of their 15 scheduled workouts.

The Red-White Game, set for 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Memorial Stadium, marks the end of spring drills.

Beck’s availability Saturday may depend on an MRI to be done on his throwing shoulder as early as today. The sophomore tweaked his hamstring during an April 1 scrimmage. It’s unclear when his shoulder began to feel sore.

Advertisement

“(Team doctors) are checking him out and making sure he’s OK,” Norvell said. “He’s just sore right now more than anything.”

In other injury news, sophomore I-back Leon Jackson, battling classmates Cody Glenn and Marlon Lucky for playing time, left Monday’s practice early with apparent knee soreness. Glenn, meanwhile, appears to be recovering well from a high ankle sprain suffered last week in a scrimmage. He carried the ball several times in situational scrimmaging Monday.

Nebraska had been unable to practice outdoors until Monday because of ongoing construction in North Stadium.

“It’s great to be outside in the wind and the sun,” Norvell said. “We needed to be outside a little bit. Now that the weather’s nice and warm, we need to be out here.”

-- DAY FOR DEFENSE: In 25 plays of live scrimmaging toward the end of Monday’s practice, the defense clearly got the better of the offense, as is often the case this time of year. The defense’s highlight arguably occurred when middle linebacker Corey McKeon stripped fullback Dane Todd of the ball after a completed pass. Cornerback Zack Bowman recovered the pigskin and sprinted for paydirt. The offense’s highlight may have been backup quarterback Joe Ganz’s 17-yard completion to a leaping wideout Isaiah Fluellen, who absorbed a bone-jarring hit from safety Brandon Rigoni at the 1-yard line.

-- TOUGHING IT OUT: Right tackle Matt Slauson had to leave Monday’s practice after suffering a gash over his nose that required six stitches. On the same play, Slauson sustained a black eye when a hunk of linebacker Steve Octavien’s padding penetrated the lineman’s face mask. No problem. After receiving the stitches — a 20-minute job — Slauson returned to drills.

-- TOUGHING IT OUT: Right tackle Matt Slauson had to leave Monday’s practice after suffering a gash over his nose that required six stitches. On the same play, Slauson sustained a black eye when a hunk of linebacker Steve Octavien’s padding penetrated the lineman’s face mask. No problem. After receiving the stitches — a 20-minute job — Slauson returned to drills.

How many injuries does that bring Octavian's tally to now? I like the attacking mentality but they need to reign him in against his own teammates.

Three QB's should be plenty.  Taylor will play the whole first half and maybe some of the second.  Ganz will get lots of reps and Davis should get a lot in the second. 

My guess is we stress the running game anyway, so having a reduced number of QB's isn't going to be that big of a deal.  I don't see the coaches putting people there just for the sake of having more bodies.

sssh! I think they have a gimmick in the works where Carriker goes in on a short yardage situation but instead steps back to heave it 70 yards downfield. :lol:

From what I've been hearing through the media, Ganz has improved a lot!! That's makes me much more comfortable about our quarterback situation. Beck might not play...but he could definitely use the experience. I wonder if Ganz has a chance of snagging the number #2 position from Beck. If Beck sits then i think that Taylor will take the snaps for the first "halF" of the game...then Ganz and Davis will probably mop up. I am more interested in what Ganz and David do than was Taylor does during the game.

From what I've been hearing through the media, Ganz has improved a lot!! That's makes me much more comfortable about our quarterback situation. Beck might not play...but he could definitely use the experience. I wonder if Ganz has a chance of snagging the number #2 position from Beck. If Beck sits then i think that Taylor will take the snaps for the first "halF" of the game...then Ganz and Davis will probably mop up. I am more interested in what Ganz and David do than was Taylor does during the game.

Don't know if Ganz has improved a lot but Beck hasn't got any better and is struggling and getting hurt. We really don't have a capable back up at this time. I don't feel comfy at all if Taylor goes down.

Don't know if Ganz has improved a lot but Beck hasn't got any better and is struggling and getting hurt. We really don't have a capable back up at this time. I don't feel comfy at all if Taylor goes down.

Have you seen Ganz play? You have NO idea if he can come in and run the offnese. The paper said the other day that the staff thinks he can but what do they know. If this kid was a QB under Got Frank then you would be talking about how wonderful he is. I'm tired of all the bashing of Ganz and none of the people bashing him have even seen him play.