US Justice Department Announces End to Private Federal Prisons

Just some news that may be important or not:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration said Thursday it will phase out its contracts with private prisons, affecting thousands of federal inmates.

The decision announced by the Justice Department comes after an audit this month found that private facilities have more safety and security problems than the government-run prisons. The federal prison population has been declining due to changes in sentencing policies over the past three years, reducing the need for private prisons.

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2016-08-18/obama-administration-to-end-use-of-private-prisons

They weren't the cause of mass incarceration like some believe.

Are you referring to how there were prison corporations funneling money into a judge's election or re-election campaign?

Private prisons hold 6% of state inmates and 16% of federal prisoners.

Our mass incarceration problem is much bigger than that.

Are you referring to how there were prison corporations funneling money into a judge's election or re-election campaign?

Gotcha. Just looking for clarification.

Agree. This is still a step in the right direction.

I agree with clsoing them in principle.

I don't believe the results of the study. The methodology was highly suspect, and clearly there was a political bent to the decision.

I can acknowledge that bias even if I agree with the ultimate decision.

One other note, although I'm against mass incarceration (and think we should legalize at least "natural" drugs), the US takes an unfair attack on the front of prison populations, at least to a degree.

When it's pointed out that the US incarcerates a much higher percentage of population than other countries, it ignores that other countries probably wish they had the resources to investigate, prosecute and incarcerate more criminal. But, because of their economic condition (and the drug money sloshing around there), they are, in many ways, lawless.

For example, I do work with refugees and immigrants, many of whom are fleeing central america, and I can tell you that many people don't even bother to go to the police there (even as victims of very violent crimes) because cases simple won't be investigated and prosecuted. The same is definitely true in much of eastern europe and rural China.