Spring football thoughts

DaveH

Spring football has come and gone again in Husker land. A lot of things were the same about this spring, some were different.

Often times in spring it is hard to separate the hype from what is actually there. I believe this was the case this spring, but some of this hype was deserved. The team as a whole is a shell of its former self ala 2004.

It's hard to draw any real conclusions from a spring scrimmage, but the defense came out and showed what everyone has been reading about. McKeon said it best when he said that the defense is a step ahead of where it was last year at this time. Let see if everyone can stay healthy this year.

Cody and Marlon showed what you have been reading about as well. The theme of spring ball this year was "Run, run, and run some more" and it definitely showed in the spring game. Cody showed how he can find the hole quickly and fend off a tackler or two to get a 3 or 4 extra yards. On a few runs he also showed how well he can move side to side. A few moves were pretty scary. Marlon has a propensity to take it to the outside, but is learning to follow blockers better. Two different styles, all good for the offense. An emphasis on the run game is what was needed to take some of the pressure off the passing game.

Leon Jackson had some good carries and brings yet another facet to the running game. He's a year behind the other backs and depending on what Kenny Wilson can do in the fall; Jackson might use this year to develop at the RB position. Maybe put on a few pounds. Not too many, though. The conditioning staff has done well with the players in that they are adding size, but not losing speed. In some instances actually gaining speed.

This difference this year in the run game will be the blocking up front. You don't have to be an offensive guru to see that run blocking left a lot to be desired last year. Hopefully we won't have to go with a lot of double tight ends this year just to get the defense off Taylor or the RB’s. The line is still young and there will be hiccups. However I think we will see a different level of performance from the young guys. You might as well cement Slauson in to see a lot of time in the fall.

What is there to say about Zac Taylor? He is the kind of QB that we need, or any team needs out there on every down. The coach on the field. He made some good throws in the spring game also forced a few going to for the "home run". Ultimately the run was featured, but he did what the coaches wanted. Work the ball to a variety of guys.

Oh and Zac, stay healthy. Please. It’s doesn’t bode well that Beck wasn’t able to play in the spring game. It would have been great to see Beck vs. Taylor this spring. He’ll use this summer to get healthy and come in strong in the fall. Lest we forget, this was his first spring. He’s still young. At this point there is still too big of a drop off to go from a guy like Taylor to a guy like Ganz.

As far as WR's go, I am really looking forward to seeing more of Tyrell Spain. The kid can flat out run. He had a few passes thrown his way while running with the 2nd team, but they weren't catchable IIRC. I'm looking forward to Spain getting some snaps with Taylor in the fall.

Swift and Nunn, of course, are still the guys at their positions. However with guys like Maurice Purify coming in, the WR position can only get better.

There were some dropped passes in the spring game. That needs to NOT happen come fall.

Overall, it was a good spring. If nothing else, it breaks up the off season for Joe Huskerfan. Is it August yet?

Being a former O-lineman, I spent most the scrimmage watching them.....Patrick got beat bad a couple of times on the pass rush. The running game didn't look too bad....better then they did last year. I hope they all stay in Lincoln this summer and continue to bond (for a lack of better words). Part of me thinks that since the defense has a lot of depth it is kind of deceiving to watch. Some of our second string defense could start at most Big XII schools. Having the depth that the defense has, will only make the offense that much better.

REMEMBER THE ALAMO?

The 2006 NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS do. i saw a lot of alamo bowl jerseys out there. bowman, grixby, lucky, and others were sporting them.

Yup, sure did see those in some of the pic gallerys scattered around the internet.