The missing FB

Just because Janovich was a good player but was never used with the previous staff cuz their system didnt utilize much traditional fullback, and his use in 2015 largely due to the new staff simply looking for someone to make something happen on top of fitting their system better, all does nort mean every fullback thereafter will be the caliber of Janovich.

The offensive struggles run much deeper than the fullback.

Pierson El

Newby

Reilly

Moore

Morgan

Mcnitt

Cotton

Ozigbo

Which five would you put on the field first?

I mean ... I agree with your point.

But that's kind of always the case, isn't it? Not trying to say McNitt is Janovich but even when you put Janovich next to other skill guys, the answer is pretty much the same.

Ameer

Imani Cross

Janovich

Quincy Enunwa

Kenny Bell

Jordan Westerkamp

Alonzo Moore

Sam Burtch

Brandon Reilly

Cethan Carter

yep. going back to 2014 and 2013. But 2015? You eliminate Ameer, Enunway, Bell, Burtch as choices. And change of systems and the circumstances of what I think was literally at times just looking for someone to frickin do something.
agreed if you are just looking at 2015, Jano is a guy you want on the field quite a bit. I could care less if McNitt sees playing time, he has done nothing to inspire confidence. Janovich had shown talent at that point in his career and deserved to be playing and utilized.

I don't think you've really seen enough of him to know one way or the other.

By most accounts during spring and fall camp, he's pretty athletic.

Just because Janovich was a good player but was never used with the previous staff cuz their system didnt utilize much traditional fullback, and his use in 2015 largely due to the new staff simply looking for someone to make something happen on top of fitting their system better, all does nort mean every fullback thereafter will be the caliber of Janovich.

The offensive struggles run much deeper than the fullback.

Pierson El

Newby

Reilly

Moore

Morgan

Mcnitt

Cotton

Ozigbo

Which five would you put on the field first?

I mean ... I agree with your point.

But that's kind of always the case, isn't it? Not trying to say McNitt is Janovich but even when you put Janovich next to other skill guys, the answer is pretty much the same.

Ameer

Imani Cross

Janovich

Quincy Enunwa

Kenny Bell

Jordan Westerkamp

Alonzo Moore

Sam Burtch

Brandon Reilly

Cethan Carter

yep. going back to 2014 and 2013. But 2015? You eliminate Ameer, Enunway, Bell, Burtch as choices. And change of systems and the circumstances of what I think was literally at times just looking for someone to frickin do something.

I agree.

My point was perhaps neither the previous staff nor the current staff really use the FB much given a decent amount of other options.

I think this staff will use the fullback a fair amount when they get a talented multi tool guy in that spot (maybe Ben Miles?) If a guy can catch and run pretty well and is a beast of a blocker I think this staff will get him on the field

Against Indiana, NU had 3rd and 1 from near midfield with a few minutes left in the game. Newby needed a breather, so the offense went I-formation with McNitt at FB and Bryant at IB. McNitt whiffed on his block and Bryant was tackled at the LOS for no gain. Thankfully Riley rolled the dice on 4th down and Armstrong got a first down on a QB sneak. But, the 3rd down play is why NU isn't playing much fullback.

every time we use that lame formation it gets stuffed
It just brings too many guys into the box and the o-line isn't winning the one on one battles.

22 personnel (2 tight ends, 1 IB, 1 FB) requires such great blocking because of the guys in the box, plus, the defense will go with a base defense and sub out a DB, so it brings another big defender into the equation.

yep you have to be strong up front to run that effectively. I don't think we should completely abandon it though. Maybe we can catch Wisconsin or Ohio state in a bad position with a play action or naked boot with Tommy out of that look
Agree 100%. NU shouldn't abandon it completely, but that formation isn't going to be a staple of the offense. NU can definitely run some effective plays out of that formation, especially when Cethan comes back.
The extent to which we miss Cethan Carter almost deserves it's own thread. The offense in both phases has been pretty anemic since he went down. He really did alot for the offense that doesn't show in the box score

Edit: not to diminish Sam Cotton, he has done well for us, but we really do better when we have them both available

What's the latest word on Carter and Westy?
Should know more after today's press conference. As of the weekend, Westy was progressing nicely to play this week, Carter was still 50-50. The team doesn't practice on Mondays, so we will see who practices on Tuesday.

EDIT: This week's depth chart shows Westy back at the WR position, and has Carter still on the injured list. Not sure if that means he is definitely out for this week.

Thanks +1 for the info. Realllllllllly would love to have Carter back this week. Brings a different deminsion to our O.

Saw Carter is officially out for Sat. IIRC, Langs had mentioned a few weeks ago that Carter really shined in run blocking. It was an area people couldnt see, but showed up big time on film. He might be the biggest injury we have...