Mulkey not bitter toward Huskers

Mulkey not bitter toward Huskers

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Thursday, Apr 20, 2006 - 11:35:04 pm CDT

Grant Mulkey said Thursday that he harbors no bitterness toward the Nebraska football program in the wake of his dismissal from the team, expressing regret that he let down head coach Bill Callahan.

“That’s what hurts me the most — letting down my coaches and teammates,” said the 5-foot-11, 185-pound wideout, who would’ve been a senior this coming season. “Coach Callahan is a great guy. He’s shown me nothing but love.”

Callahan announced Wednesday that Mulkey had been dismissed from the squad for an undisclosed violation of team policies. Mulkey declined Thursday to say exactly what led to his dismissal, but he did say grades weren’t an issue.

“All I can say is that I’ve been going through a tough time,” Mulkey said. “I just have to pick up the pieces and move on.”

Mulkey was Nebraska’s fourth-leading receiver in each of the past two seasons. Last season he had 26 receptions for 271 yards, pushing his career totals to 45 catches for 515 yards, with two touchdowns. He said he was uncertain whether he will continue his playing career.

In order to play in 2006, Mulkey would have to transfer to a university that plays in a lower division, such as Division I-AA or Division II. He said he’s on pace to earn his bachelor’s degree in economics in May of 2007.

“It’s tough to make the decision (about whether to play) when you’re feeling this much pain and grief,” he said, noting that Callahan offered help in finding a place to play. “If I didn’t play, I think I’d miss being part of a team and having that structure. I’m a competitor. I love this game.”

Mulkey wanted to make clear his high regard for the Nebraska program and its fans.

“The fans here were unbelievable,” he said. “Believe me, I’m not going to look at my time here negatively.”

Correct. I agree. But, it does take somewhat of a man to realize they are his problems, and not our program's. By him saying this, it is in effect an apology saying it wasn't our program, it was him. I am glad re realizes he has a problem and is willing to move on with his life and look to graduation!!

An athlete who says he wants to graduate after being kicked off a team deserves something doesn't it?

I think he is handling this better than I expected him to. Knows he made the mistake and is taking the blame for it. Doing alot better about it than a couple of QB's that left on their on volition.

Got to say he is growing up some.

not to mention another WR that had a bad attitude.

I think he is handling this better than I expected him to.  Knows he made the mistake and is taking the blame for it.  Doing alot better about it than a couple of QB's that left on their on volition. 

Got to say he is growing up some.

not to mention another WR that had a bad attitude.

hmm, having drug and anger issues are okay as long as praise is given to the current coaching staff. but to look for greener pastures, we have benedict arnold. something seems weird here.

hmm, having drug and anger issues are okay as long as praise is given to the current coaching staff. but to look for greener pastures, we have benedict arnold. something seems weird here.

It's unfortunate to have drug/anger problems like Mulkey. He admitted to his wrongdoing and is moving on. Birkle, however, placed all the blame on Callahan and the coaching staff, and none on his bad attitude and inability to put in the necessary work. I see a huge difference in maturity and character there. If Birkle just left to pursue another opportunity and handled it like an adult, I wouldn't have had a problem with him.

Slight difference Tommie... what all the poster are eluding to is Mulkey's ability to take responsibility for his own actions instead of blaming others.... Does that make whatever Mulkey did right? No.... but he is allready along the path to recovery if he is able to get past the first stage, which is denial. When certain others dont feel obligated to live up to their promises, or accept the consequences for not doing so (see Birkle and Freeman,) than yes, they are in a worse place than Mulkey, who make a mistake, owned up to it, and is looking for a way to continue his playing career rather than finding someone else to blame.