Be totally honest, please

Fine. Go ahead. Just know it looks ridiculous to at least me. I'm done trying to calm you down. You're probably right, the blacks and Mexicans and Muslims and gays and women and have I missed any.... will probably all be lined up and shot on January 20th or whatever day numbnuts takes office. I'm probably just an idiot who doesn't get it. But please realize you are fueling, nay the actual source, of what you just a couple weeks ago feared would happen when you knew Hillary was going to win and Trump was going to lose. You were so sure the disgruntled Trump supporters would take to the streets, become even more unreasonable and violent, and, well, basically act like all the disgruntled Hillary supporters (or supposedly in some cases-Trump unsupporters) are now actually acting. I find it extremely ironic that collectively you have become exactly what you all were bemoaning a few short days ago. It's plain ass ridiculous. It makes me wonder if any of you have ever experienced real adversity in your lives. If this is how you deal with unknowns and potential problems, how in the hell are you ever going to be able to handle the real thing? At least there is post election results counseling available nowadays. Now I understand why. Just know that the many of us who aren't freaking out and currently losing our sh#t will be there to help you out when circumstances actually warrant it. And those are my very last words on the matter. Good luck.

JJ, you're using the word "you" way too much. The people protesting are a tiny fraction of the Democratic party. If we were protesting we probably wouldn't be posting here. So please quit acting like Huskerboard posters are running around out on the streets with pitchforks and torches.

As far as calming down, I've been pretty damn calm about the whole thing and so have everyone else posting here.

And I'll say it again, Clinton didn't urge her supporters to protest. If she had, people would've been just as upset at her as they were at Trump for doing it. Why are people having so much trouble telling the difference between the two?

You might want to rethink bringing up whether other posters have gone through adversity. FFS, to paraphrase, you told me a couple months ago $30k/year was dirt poor. That's more than twice minimum wage. You're judging people without knowing anything about them. It's very easy for me to throw that out there about you and assume, maybe incorrectly, that you've never gone through the adversity of being anything close to poor. I could very well be totally wrong, which is why this is something you shouldn't do - you're most likely wrong. You don't know what any of us have gone through in our lives. Not to mention the fact most of us have stated we aren't personally going to be harmed by this. We're worried about other people.

Sorry Moiraine, I am not intending to use the word "you" in anything other than a general manner. It's just the pronoun (or whatever part of speech it is-English never was my strong suit) that seems easiest in my wording. I tend to take in everything, the protests, the things I've seen on twitter links and facebook and some of the things I've seen people post here and combine them into a cumulative "you". Really, it's not meant to be personal.

As far as my life experiences and money- no, I've never been what I would consider poor. Have always had food to eat, a place to live, and medical care when needed. That's not to say I've never experienced trouble paying all the bills and we sure didn't have a lot of the extras when I was a kid but we did have the essentials. I had to work and pay my own way though college. And yes, I have been lucky and have been pretty comfortable financially for quite awhile now. I'm sorry if at some time I sort of scoffed at a 30k income. My intent was not to demean, it was to illustrate how I don't think I could handle trying to make ends meet at that level. I admire anyone who can. I have become somewhat spoiled. That's not to say I'm not one medical emergency away from financial ruin or that I could retire today if I wanted to. Unfortunately I will need to keep earning for quite a few more years. Anyway, now you have a better idea of the lense through which I view.

JJ, I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate about the worst when an inexperienced candidate with an incoherent grasp on policy, and stated intentions to flout the the international norms that have served as a framework for global peace since 1945, is elevated to the office of Commander in Chief.

I mean, goodness, even nuclear launch operators penned a letter warning us not to elect the man.

We are divided along policy lines as a country, and that's fine. We are divided along other lines that I agree we can all work to bridge. In other things, like condemning authoritarianism, I think we can be united as well.

So, to be a little bit ironic regarding your high concerns: relax. We're not on the ledge here. ;) But yes, avoiding the push to normalize, I consider that both of immense importance and a fight against human nature.

Fine. Go ahead. Just know it looks ridiculous to at least me. I'm done trying to calm you down. You're probably right, the blacks and Mexicans and Muslims and gays and women and have I missed any.... will probably all be lined up and shot on January 20th or whatever day numbnuts takes office. I'm probably just an idiot who doesn't get it. But please realize you are fueling, nay the actual source, of what you just a couple weeks ago feared would happen when you knew Hillary was going to win and Trump was going to lose. You were so sure the disgruntled Trump supporters would take to the streets, become even more unreasonable and violent, and, well, basically act like all the disgruntled Hillary supporters (or supposedly in some cases-Trump unsupporters) are now actually acting. I find it extremely ironic that collectively you have become exactly what you all were bemoaning a few short days ago. It's plain ass ridiculous. It makes me wonder if any of you have ever experienced real adversity in your lives. If this is how you deal with unknowns and potential problems, how in the hell are you ever going to be able to handle the real thing? At least there is post election results counseling available nowadays. Now I understand why. Just know that the many of us who aren't freaking out and currently losing our sh#t will be there to help you out when circumstances actually warrant it. And those are my very last words on the matter. Good luck.

JJ, you're using the word "you" way too much. The people protesting are a tiny fraction of the Democratic party. If we were protesting we probably wouldn't be posting here. So please quit acting like Huskerboard posters are running around out on the streets with pitchforks and torches.

As far as calming down, I've been pretty damn calm about the whole thing and so have everyone else posting here.

And I'll say it again, Clinton didn't urge her supporters to protest. If she had, people would've been just as upset at her as they were at Trump for doing it. Why are people having so much trouble telling the difference between the two?

You might want to rethink bringing up whether other posters have gone through adversity. FFS, to paraphrase, you told me a couple months ago $30k/year was dirt poor. That's more than twice minimum wage. You're judging people without knowing anything about them. It's very easy for me to throw that out there about you and assume, maybe incorrectly, that you've never gone through the adversity of being anything close to poor. I could very well be totally wrong, which is why this is something you shouldn't do - you're most likely wrong. You don't know what any of us have gone through in our lives. Not to mention the fact most of us have stated we aren't personally going to be harmed by this. We're worried about other people.

Sorry Moiraine, I am not intending to use the word "you" in anything other than a general manner. It's just the pronoun (or whatever part of speech it is-English never was my strong suit) that seems easiest in my wording. I tend to take in everything, the protests, the things I've seen on twitter links and facebook and some of the things I've seen people post here and combine them into a cumulative "you". Really, it's not meant to be personal.

All good

JJ, I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate about the worst when an inexperienced candidate with an incoherent grasp on policy, and stated intentions to flout the the international norms that have served as a framework for global peace since 1945, is elevated to the office of Commander in Chief.I mean, goodness, even nuclear launch operators penned a letter warning us not to elect the man.We are divided along policy lines as a country, and that's fine. We are divided along other lines that I agree we can all work to bridge. In other things, like condemning authoritarianism, I think we can be united as well.So, to be a little bit ironic regarding your high concerns: relax. We're not on the ledge here. ;) But yes, avoiding the push to normalize, I consider that both of immense importance and a fight against human nature.

Zoogs- I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate, discuss, remain vigilant, or even to bitch and moan a bit about the prospecs of a Trump presidency. I'm very leery myself. I am actually quite concerned and even some what scared about what they intend to do with the ACA and healthcare. I am less concerned about the things you are most concerned about, not because I'm a white male and they won't affect me, but because I just can't imagine we the people would ever let the worst happen. Sure I'm concerned that some minorities may lose a little ground they've gained and that is not to be taken lightly by any means. But really, these comparisons to Nazi Germany, Hitler, executions, mass deportations....talk like that, at this point in time, needs to be reeled in just a bit IMO. It's not that it isn't important or should be ignored until it's too late. I just think we run the risk of those voices never being taken seriously if they are borderline on the ledge now. But hey, that's just my opinion. Just trying my best to help some people not look too ridiculous. And yes, I understand that you and many others are much more concerned that he will spin totally out of control than I am. You might be right or I might be. But from what I've seen so far these past few days, this is a much worse and more dangerous response by the vanguished than what we saw from the other side when Obama took office. That may very well be due to my perception from right of center, but that's where I am and that's how I see things.

JJ, I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate about the worst when an inexperienced candidate with an incoherent grasp on policy, and stated intentions to flout the the international norms that have served as a framework for global peace since 1945, is elevated to the office of Commander in Chief.I mean, goodness, even nuclear launch operators penned a letter warning us not to elect the man.We are divided along policy lines as a country, and that's fine. We are divided along other lines that I agree we can all work to bridge. In other things, like condemning authoritarianism, I think we can be united as well.So, to be a little bit ironic regarding your high concerns: relax. We're not on the ledge here. ;) But yes, avoiding the push to normalize, I consider that both of immense importance and a fight against human nature.

Zoogs- I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate, discuss, remain vigilant, or even to bitch and moan a bit about the prospecs of a Trump presidency. I'm very leery myself. I am actually quite concerned and even some what scared about what they intend to do with the ACA and healthcare. I am less concerned about the things you are most concerned about, not because I'm a white male and they won't affect me, but because I just can't imagine we the people would ever let the worst happen. Sure I'm concerned that some minorities may lose a little ground they've gained and that is not to be taken lightly by any means. But really, these comparisons to Nazi Germany, Hitler, executions, mass deportations....talk like that, at this point in time, needs to be reeled in just a bit IMO. It's not that it isn't important or should be ignored until it's too late. I just think we run the risk of those voices never being taken seriously if they are borderline on the ledge now. But hey, that's just my opinion. Just trying my best to help some people not look too ridiculous. And yes, I understand that you and many others are much more concerned that he will spin totally out of control than I am. You might be right or I might be. But from what I've seen so far these past few days, this is a much worse and more dangerous response by the vanguished than what we saw from the other side when Obama took office. That may very well be due to my perception from right of center, but that's where I am and that's how I see things.

But it is reeled in, every time I've seen it or done it. I don't want any minor version of that.

• Fire 1

I swear to God the autocorrect / autofill feature on my phone gets worse by the day. I type the actual words I want but this damn thing adds in periods and spaces and randomly capitalizes and completely changes words at will. It's really beginning to piss me off. Is it learning to be stupid from me? Seriously considering getting a new phone just because of this.

I've seen or read of waaaaaaaaaaaay too many people shout some grotesquely un-American things (often at Trump rallies!) regarding what they want to do to _______ to take for granted that it could never here.

It could happen, if we let it.

Stay out of their way and watch what they do. By the time you decide to protest you may find that such voices no longer carry any power.

How do you know that those people weren't planted by the DNC? They were already caught on tape stating that they paid mentally ill people to go to his rallies to start fights just to get bad publicity so they could paint his supporters in a certain light?

JJ, I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate about the worst when an inexperienced candidate with an incoherent grasp on policy, and stated intentions to flout the the international norms that have served as a framework for global peace since 1945, is elevated to the office of Commander in Chief.

I mean, goodness, even nuclear launch operators penned a letter warning us not to elect the man.

We are divided along policy lines as a country, and that's fine. We are divided along other lines that I agree we can all work to bridge. In other things, like condemning authoritarianism, I think we can be united as well.

So, to be a little bit ironic regarding your high concerns: relax. We're not on the ledge here. ;) But yes, avoiding the push to normalize, I consider that both of immense importance and a fight against human nature.

From the left point of view everything that you stated is fine. But you have to give him the same chance that Obama had to succeed or fail as the leader of this country before we start comparing him to some of the all time worst/evil leaders in world history. If the left would take a deep breath and relax a little they would realize that the extreme stuff can't happen without help from the left. R's only have 52 seats, it takes 60 to pass anything. There is going to be compromise and that is a good thing. The last thing this country needs is for one side to have full control without any checks and balances, that is what leads to a lot of bad one sided policy that hurts the country.

IMO the biggest thing is that people need to stop listening to the media and "celebrities" to tell them how to think. Use some common sense and stop the silly protesting because it is playing into the stereotype and it isn't accomplishing anything other than making the protesters look stupid. Especially since 47.9% of eligible voters didn't vote, so if they didn't vote, then they don't have a right to complain, let alone destroy people's property/business.

I swear to God the autocorrect / autofill feature on my phone gets worse by the day. I type the actual words I want but this damn thing adds in periods and spaces and randomly capitalizes and completely changes words at will. It's really beginning to piss me off. Is it learning to be stupid from me? Seriously considering getting a new phone just because of this.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. When the leader of your country is racist/sexist/bigoted, then saying you're worried he'll be some small version of Hitler is not at all a crazy.

From the left point of view everything that you stated is fine. But you have to give him the same chance that Obama had to succeed or fail as the leader of this country before we start comparing him to some of the all time worst/evil leaders in world history. If the left would take a deep breath and relax a little they would realize that the extreme stuff can't happen without help from the left. R's only have 52 seats, it takes 60 to pass anything. There is going to be compromise and that is a good thing. The last thing this country needs is for one side to have full control without any checks and balances, that is what leads to a lot of bad one sided policy that hurts the country.

Can't say I'm an expert on the senate, but doesn't it take 60 to override a veto? I don't think it takes 60 to pass things.

Edit: Okay I looked it up and you're right. "It really is worth being specific on this: It does not take 60 votes to pass an ordinary bill in the Senate; it takes a majority of the senators voting. If everyone is present, it takes 51 votes, or 50 votes if the vice president votes to break the tie. Under the current rules of the Senate–which can be altered by a majority vote–it takes 60 votes to proceed to a vote on a bill when some senators want to continue debate forever, or filibuster."

This is pretty much the only check Democrats have right now. Other than John Roberts not falling on the Republican side for every issue.

Wait...a poster just called Trump "numbnuts" and that is okay?

I have noticed that since the election we have been super lax on the terms we are using to describe politicians. I am 100% good with that I just want to know that it is fair for all politicians. Thanks!

Also, to those that are staying in this country, good for you! Keep up the fight! It was what makes this country the very best!

I think with the people staying and fighting that we will see amazing change.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. When the leader of your country is racist/sexist/bigoted, then saying you're worried he'll be some small version of Hitler is not at all a crazy.

I wouldn't be commenting if people were limiting the hyperbole to some "small version" of Hitler. You may have used the fraction 1/100th, others have done no such thing. Any failure to attempt to place comments like those in context, scope and scale does make a rather large difference to how it comes across. You (actually you this time) seem to have it reeled in to a reasonable limit but even 1% of a Hitler is like what, 60,000+ people exterminated? I mean he didn't just say some bad things and potentially implement some questionable policies, he committed genocide on 6 million people. I guess anybody that feels that putting Trump in that same boat is welcome to do so, I'm just trying to convey what that looks like to a reasonable person.

I have noticed that since the election we have been super lax on the terms we are using to describe politicians. I am 100% good with that I just want to know that it is fair for all politicians. Thanks!

Also, to those that are staying in this country, good for you! Keep up the fight! It was what makes this country the very best!

Teach, almost ALL politicians are numbnuts in my book. It's a term of endearment compared to what most of them have earned.

Teach, almost ALL politicians are numbnuts in my book. It's a term of endearment compared to what most of them have earned.

Ha! Zing!