NU and NCAAF Coaching Changes

Frank should have been given more time. We would have avoid BC then. Bo - for sure one year to many but maybe 3. He faded fast after entering the Big 10.

Peterson would have been a great hire. I was a Paul Johnson fan when Tom picked Bo. We may have had an offense that was consistent wt our history.

Agree on Frank except for the rumored character issues. Pelini was/is a good coordinator. I don't like to think what might have been with Solich as HC and Pelini as DC for a few years.

If they increased their recruiting profile, the program still had an elite image to return to elite status on the field.

Frank should have been given more time. We would have avoid BC then. Bo - for sure one year to many but maybe 3. He faded fast after entering the Big 10.

Peterson would have been a great hire. I was a Paul Johnson fan when Tom picked Bo. We may have had an offense that was consistent wt our history.

Agree on Frank except for the rumored character issues. Pelini was/is a good coordinator. I don't like to think what might have been with Solich as HC and Pelini as DC for a few years.

If they increased their recruiting profile, the program still had an elite image to return to elite status on the field.

Agree. Bo did have some blowouts as DC - the infamous KSU game being # 1 but he as DC and Frank as HC showed promise and given more time, maybe we could have avoided the BC years altogether. "If 'ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd have Christmas all year long"

• Fire 1

I think that recruiting was Frank's and his staff's biggest downfall. All coaches but one had 11+ years with the program and I think they all got a bit satiated and thought they would always be able to reload.

I always believed that you better have a great replacement lined up before you fire the current coach. Given that, I see no reason not to delay firing by a year if no great coach is available.

I agree with both points. Callahan was fired at the right time and hate to say it, but TO hired the wrong person, plus there weren't great options to choose from unless they opened up the check book to lure a homerun coach away. Pelini and Solich are debatable, one obviously didn't work out and Riley is 2-3 seasons away for me to form an opinion yet, in my eyes.

I think that 2004 was definitely wrong time to hire/fire. I recall that interview with Harvey Perlman where he stated that an NFL Head Coach was lined up to take the job after Frank got axed, but ended up getting cold feet and stayed in the NFL. I know some folks thought he was just blowing smoke, however I believe him. That search took around 40 days. That only happens when you're flat footed and have no idea what to do and you'll settle on whoever you can. Riley was hired in what, 4 or 5 days? There was a plan that was followed through on.

Mike Tice, correct? I think I also heard Al Saunders' name too.

Mike Zimmer, who was then with the Dallas Cowboys as D.C. was the guy that Pederson really wanted. He thought he had Zimmer, but he said no at the last minute.

• Fire 1

I always believed that you better have a great replacement lined up before you fire the current coach. Given that, I see no reason not to delay firing by a year if no great coach is available.

I agree with both points. Callahan was fired at the right time and hate to say it, but TO hired the wrong person, plus there weren't great options to choose from unless they opened up the check book to lure a homerun coach away. Pelini and Solich are debatable, one obviously didn't work out and Riley is 2-3 seasons away for me to form an opinion yet, in my eyes.

I think that 2004 was definitely wrong time to hire/fire. I recall that interview with Harvey Perlman where he stated that an NFL Head Coach was lined up to take the job after Frank got axed, but ended up getting cold feet and stayed in the NFL. I know some folks thought he was just blowing smoke, however I believe him. That search took around 40 days. That only happens when you're flat footed and have no idea what to do and you'll settle on whoever you can. Riley was hired in what, 4 or 5 days? There was a plan that was followed through on.

Mike Tice, correct? I think I also heard Al Saunders' name too.

Mike Zimmer, who was then with the Dallas Cowboys as D.C. was the guy that Pederson really wanted. He thought he had Zimmer, but he said no at the last minute.

That's right, got my Minnesota Vikings head coaches mixed up.