A Christian republic (POLL)

zoogs

A Christian republic  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It tells you what exists how we can reasonably determine what exists past the point you can see.

Why is it so important for you to be told in bald terms that science has not observed what existed before the Big Bang?

Awwww....thanks for bringing this out of the tired argument about what we were talking about because I really don't want to discuss that any more.

It simply goes back to the statement that science class should only mention what can be observed.

Well....there are things science class mentions that have not been observed.

So....taking this in a different direction all together. Hey...I'm trying.....

Let's say Mr. Science Teacher is teaching all about evolution and the beginning of the chemical reaction that expanded and created us all.

Miss student raises her hand and asks...."Mr. Teacher, what came before that and what started the chemical reaction"?

Would you have a problem with the teacher saying. "The theory is nothing existed before that and I personally believe a higher power had to be involved to start creation/evolution". ?

OR...."The theory is nothing existed before that and some people believe a higher power had to be involved to start creation/evolution".

This charge that science has a problem of not being aware of what its limits are betrays an enormous misunderstanding of science, in my opinion.

Greatly over exaggerate what I'm saying. I was a science major in college before switching to business. I've sat in my share of science classes.

I mean, please do not confuse science with atheism.

I'm not.

It tells you what exists how we can reasonably determine what exists past the point you can see.

Why is it so important for you to be told in bald terms that science has not observed what existed before the Big Bang?

Awwww....thanks for bringing this out of the tired argument about what we were talking about because I really don't want to discuss that any more.

It simply goes back to the statement that science class should only mention what can be observed.

Let's say Mr. Science Teacher is teaching all about evolution and the beginning of the chemical reaction that expanded and created us all.

Miss student raises her hand and asks...."Mr. Teacher, what came before that and what started the chemical reaction"?

Would you have a problem with the teacher saying. "The theory is nothing existed before that and I personally believe a higher power had to be involved to start creation/evolution". ?

OR...."The theory is nothing existed before that and some people believe a higher power had to be involved to start creation/evolution".

Of course any rational person should have a problem with a Science teacher proselytizing to their students. Science class is not a place for religious beliefs. It is a place for practicing the scientific method. In that scenario, that teacher should be reprimanded.

The problem Christians can't seem to grasp is that Christianity may not always be the dominant religion in this country. Today it is, but what about 50 years from now when Islam is the norm? You would be horrified to discover that your Christian child has been taught under Sharia law in science class, right?

The power you give to your ally today may be wielded by your enemy tomorrow.

• Fire 1

Of course any rational person should have a problem with a Science teacher proselytizing to their students. Science class is not a place for religious beliefs. It is a place for practicing the scientific method. In that scenario, that teacher should be reprimanded.

The problem Christians can't seem to grasp is that Christianity may not always be the dominant religion in this country. Today it is, but what about 50 years from now when Islam is the norm? You would be horrified to discover that your Christian child has been taught under Sharia law in science class, right?

How do you know the teacher in my example is Christian?

How do you know the teacher in my example is Christian?

That's a disingenuous question in light of the topic of this thread and the tenor of conversation surrounding Trump's Cabinet pick. C'mon.

The only way for this statement to pass muster is to discard any understanding of the scientific method to begin with.

I've sat in my share of science classes, too, and I cannot understand why someone with a background in this area would ascribe so much validity to science skepticism that is resolutely unscientific in basis, of one of the most foundational pieces of the puzzle we have today, no less.

• Fire 1

The only way for this statement to pass muster is to discard any understanding of the scientific method to begin with.

I've sat in my share of science classes, too, and I cannot understand why someone with a background in this area would ascribe so much validity to science skepticism that is not at all rooted in the scientific method -- and of one of the most foundational pieces of the puzzle we have today, no less.

Sitting in a science class does not mean one understands science, or the scientific method.

• Fire 1

No, it's a very honest question.

The teacher isn't formally devoting time to teaching creationism. He isn't telling the students that God is the answer or Allah is the answer. He isn't beating it into their little brains that the MUST believe this. He simply answered a question from a student that some people believe a higher power was involved at that point.

Heck, maybe the teacher is native American and believe in the spirits of nature that his ancestors believe. Nothing in my quoted statement would indicate that.

No, it's a very honest question.

The teacher isn't formally devoting time to teaching creationism. He isn't telling the students that God is the answer or Allah is the answer. He isn't beating it into their little brains that the MUST believe this. He simply answered a question from a student that some people believe a higher power was involved at that point.

Heck, maybe the teacher is native American and believe in the spirits of nature that his ancestors believe. Nothing in my quoted statement would indicate that.

The answer is still no, regardless of that teacher's religion of choice. That teacher should be reprimanded for proselytizing.

Sitting in a science class does not mean one understands science, or the scientific method.

I agree, and having a science degree does not make one a scientist, either.

I do want to emphasize that our cultural understanding and appreciation for science *should* extend far beyond the limited coterie of actual scientists. Communicating these ideas is not easy, which is why the work that people such as Neil deGrasse Tyson do is so important. He doesn't do science, really, at least not anymore, but he's perhaps one of the most effective communicators we have today.

• Fire 1