Eichorst Statement About Football Program

Mavric

This team started off very hot at 7-0. Things were looking great, then came Wisconsin where we were shown we don't have the muscle to beat them. I was happy with Nebraska's performance in that game and the fact we had a chance to win it. The problem was we all knew the following week was a loss at Ohio State, and boy did it get bad. Then came Iowa, and now Tennessee.

After the great 7-0 start, Nebraska reverted back to their old ways. Beat the bad teams, lose to any team with a pulse, and lose badly on the big stage.

Next season will be very telling with this staff. It'll be year 3 under this system, it should be the year things get going in the direction the staff wants it to, their handprints should be on the team/program moreso then the previous staff anymore.Their excuse window (or the fans excuse window) will be narrower to blame the previous staff for mishaps and failure.

Nebraska has an extremely tough schedule next year, but we were told Riley was brought here to win championships, and to win championships you have to win seasons with tough schedules. Regardless of how tough NU's schedule is next year, I think the expectations should remain high.

I'm not giving up on Riley, and think this upcoming season will be very telling of what he is capable of doing at Nebraska.

I think year 4 and beyond is where we find out what this staff will be doing for us. Riley seems to be planning for the future, and that is a strategy I don't disagree with but that means we aren't going to have any instant gratification.

I'm not waiting until year 4. Three years is where a staff should ultimately be able to showcase what they bring to the table, if not sooner.

The reason I'm so upset about this year is because this time last year I felt good about us moving forward after a f'ing 6-7 season. Today, I feel pretty unimpressed by a 9-4 season. W/L don't ever tell the whole story.

• Fire 2

I'll support whoever the coach is when they are coach here, I don't have to like it though.

To be clear, I'm not soured on Riley yet. But I feel like I'm shifting that way. A 7-0 start, a 2-4 finish. Ugh.

We'll all wait, whether we like it or not because we have no other choice. :)

In regards to the bolded part, I get that. I was really hoping we'd beat Iowa this year, maybe next year.

I'd really like to see Wisconsin develop into a rivalry game. I think they would make good rivals. Of course we probably need to start beating them occasionally to make that happen.

Ohio St. Man, we've got a long ways to go in order to be in the same league as them but I think the coaching staff is building towards that.

This team started off very hot at 7-0. Things were looking great, then came Wisconsin where we were shown we don't have the muscle to beat them. I was happy with Nebraska's performance in that game and the fact we had a chance to win it. The problem was we all knew the following week was a loss at Ohio State, and boy did it get bad. Then came Iowa, and now Tennessee.

After the great 7-0 start, Nebraska reverted back to their old ways. Beat the bad teams, lose to any team with a pulse, and lose badly on the big stage.

Next season will be very telling with this staff. It'll be year 3 under this system, it should be the year things get going in the direction the staff wants it to, their handprints should be on the team/program moreso then the previous staff anymore.Their excuse window (or the fans excuse window) will be narrower to blame the previous staff for mishaps and failure.

Nebraska has an extremely tough schedule next year, but we were told Riley was brought here to win championships, and to win championships you have to win seasons with tough schedules. Regardless of how tough NU's schedule is next year, I think the expectations should remain high.

I'm not giving up on Riley, and think this upcoming season will be very telling of what he is capable of doing at Nebraska.

I think year 4 and beyond is where we find out what this staff will be doing for us. Riley seems to be planning for the future, and that is a strategy I don't disagree with but that means we aren't going to have any instant gratification.

Instant gratification?

I don't think that many of us expected conference championships and a payoff berth in the first two seasons.

But, with our favorable schedules and having the best talent in the division, competing for division titles and, at the very least, not getting blown out by Purdue and Iowa are not unreasonable expectations.

• Fire 2

Year 3 I think you can throw out that the players aren't your coaches guys. Are some of the players not recruited by Riley and Co? Sure, absolutely, but they will have had 3 years with those coaches and should have been developed for and by those coaches. They would have most likely been under Riley and Co longer then Bo.

Each passing year the window of excuses gets smaller and smaller. Year 3 we should start to see a major uptick with the new staff, but it seems from what I am hearing is year 3 is somehow a rebuild year. That won't be acceptable.

Logical fallacy. Year 3 is DEFINITELY a rebuild year. The mess of Husker football is by far not a two year rebuild project. To say 2017 is not rebuild is to say we are today but one more logical step away being "successful." That is not true in the least considering Drew Brown is the ONLY significant part of the team that most would correctly agree can be counted on for championship level performance.

Today I have no strong prediction re MR's success here but if he does achieve at the highest possible level I expect he won't get into a final four before year 5. A final four is my goal for him btw, I have zero goals re MNC or BIG championships. If he achieved that within 8 years I call him a success and 9-4 years along the way won't have me hammering on him because I know his job is quite difficult (nothing like at Bama or USC or tOsu etc).

Instant gratification?

I don't think that many of us expected conference championships and a payoff berth in the first two seasons.

But, with our favorable schedules and having the best talent in the division, competing for division titles and, at the very least, not getting blown out by Purdue and Iowa are not unreasonable expectations.

We had at least one improvement this year beyond our overall record. We didn't get beat by Purdue again. And we didn't get blown out the first time either. The final score was 55-45 in favor of Purdue. A 10 point loss is in no way a "blow out". That said, Purdue is like Iowa St imo, a doormat to wipe our feet on and we lost. We shall forever hang our heads in shame over that.

Instant gratification?

We had at least one improvement this year beyond our overall record.

Zero credit for having a better record than 2015. And it's still no better than the last coach.

We didn't get beat by Purdue again.

Again zero credit. But I guess it is an improvement for our current coach.

And we didn't get blown out the first time either.

It was 42-16 going into the 4th. That's a blowout. I realize you're big on garbage time points, both for this staff and for Crapahan's, but most that know football don't care about those garbage points.

That said, Purdue is like Iowa St imo, a doormat to wipe our feet on and we lost. We shall forever hang our heads in shame over that.

Wasn't that their first B1G win in 2 or 3 years? Didn't Hazel get fired?

That may well be the worst loss in program history.

• Fire 1

Instant gratification?

Zero credit for having a better record than 2015. And it's still no better than the last coach.

Another zero credit quote. But I guess it is an improvement for our current coach.

It was 42-16 going into the 4th. That's a blowout. I realize you're big on garbage time points, both for this staff and for Crapahan's, but most that know football don't care about those garbage points.

That said, Purdue is like Iowa St imo, a doormat to wipe our feet on and we lost. We shall forever hang our heads in shame over that.

Is it still a blowout if we end up winning after being down 42-16? Of course not, only the final score matters in cases like these. How many times in sports have we seen miracle comebacks? We were having one against Purdue, we just ran out of time. But if it makes you feel better to keep calling it a blowout, then by all means, have at it.

I don't believe in "garbage time" so how can I be big on "garbage time" points?

Do you guys really want to be recognized as the school who fires coaches that wins 9 games a year? MR has only had 2 seasons under his belt. You have got to give a coach at least 4-5 years to get his players and systems in place but IF we're 3-5 heading into November, 2017 then we may need to rethink the direction we want to go with this program.

Instant gratification?

Again zero credit. But I guess it is an improvement for our current coach.

I don't know if that is the worst loss. The stakes weren't as high as say, 62-36 2001 NEB/CU or the B1G 2012 70-31 loss or this year's 62-3 curb stomp by tOSU

I don't know if that is the worst loss. The stakes weren't as high as say, 62-36 2001 NEB/CU or the B1G 2012 70-31 loss or this year's 62-3 curb stomp by tOSU

Those were good teams we got beat by. Purdue was not. That's like losing to Iowa St, or Kansas St.

Those were good teams we got beat by. Purdue was not. That's like losing to Iowa St, or Kansas St.

I think we can agree to agree on this.

All bad losses, terrible actually.

That loss to Purdue sticks in my craw.