Eichorst Statement About Football Program

Mavric

Oh! I just noticed that Sipple just wrote an article about this...

When Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst stated 12 days ago that the Husker football program needs to upgrade talent, much of Husker Nation took notice.

Link: http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-eichorst-s-recent-comments-turn-up-heat/article_1a861b04-c863-565a-877a-b8232885bf56.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

I was kinda hoping someone would make a thread about Sip's article. I didn't want to be that guy.

There's really not much to it, to be honest--just that Eichorst and Riley meet weekly, this topic of discussion will come up, and it's assumed that Riley has a Plan B in place because he's a competent recruiter (and not because we've seen any Plan B recruiting targets, so to speak), and that the administration won't panic.

But if they roll in with a low 20s/high 30s recruiting class...there's going to be an awful lot of grumbling and teeth gnashing between now and September. Add to that Riley's talent gamble in holding kids back for this season...and for Riley's sake, I hope next year is a slice of something special.

We aren't getting the top talent that we offered, so now we are offering local talent that is committed to Wyoming, and Wyoming currently still has said commit as Nebraska hasn't flipped him yet.

I am all for getting local talent, I think it adds the heart and passion aspect of the player, but if we can't flip a local kid from Wyoming to Nebraska we are in serious trouble on the recruiting trail.

We aren't getting the top talent that we offered, so now we are offering local talent that is committed to Wyoming, and Wyoming currently still has said commit as Nebraska hasn't flipped him yet.

I am all for getting local talent, I think it adds the heart and passion aspect of the player, but if we can't flip a local kid from Wyoming to Nebraska we are in serious trouble on the recruiting trail.

You must not follow recruiting. First, this was a recent offer, so plenty of time for the prospect to flip. Second, it is late in the process and he is clearly a Plan B or C guy, so the prospect may feel overlooked or under appreciated. This is a similar scenario to how we got Cethan Carter.

Really, when you measure Nebraska vs Wyoming, it is a no brainer, but you have to factor in the context of his recruiting.

Remember that some local kids may well deliberately choose Wyoming or N.Dakota or even Iowa State or Northern Iowa as they feel they have a better shot to play more. Some may actually prefer the town or school or other aspects of the decision. Some may want to get away from the area as well. They may have friends, relatives or other reasons too. It is not always about which program is judged to be the better on some arbitrary 'national' or other comparison basis.

I can see reasons why Wyoming might be a good choose for a student athlete. Much less peer pressure as well as fan pressure. Others will go just the opposite. Nebraska needs to recruit a lot of possible guys to fill the several positions of need because there are some who will not choose Nebraska, no matter who our H.C. may be.

• Fire 1

this.