Eichorst Statement About Football Program

Mavric

The question is... ?

How did we ever get in a position to allow Eichorst (a guy who had never hired a football coach in his life) a guy who obviously had no connection to Nebraska and no appreciation of our "culture"... how did he get in the position to hire the head coach at the University of Nebraska...?

How did that happen ?

So if he goes 8-4 or 9-3 next season some of you want him fired? Isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place? QUIT FIRING 9 WIN COACHES! This program is circling the bowl as it is due to the expectations here at times. 9 wins isn't good enough scares away a lot of coaches and makes the job undesirable to most coaches out there. We simply can't fire him next season if that's what happens. The best thing that could happen is that he retires if that happens next season. Then you bring in a new coach for 2018's schedule. That could be brutal as well when you look at that schedule. He keeps winning 8 or 9 games a season we're stuck with him until he retires. We better hope for a good season next year because the next two after that could get ugly if they don't figure this out.

The question is... ?

How did we ever get in a position to allow Eichorst (a guy who had never hired a football coach in his life) a guy who obviously had no connection to Nebraska and no appreciation of our "culture"... how did he get in the position to hire the head coach at the University of Nebraska...?

How did that happen ?

Harvey.

The question is... ?

How did that happen ?

Perlman.

So if he goes 8-4 or 9-3 next season some of you want him fired? Isn't that how we got into this mess in the first place? QUIT FIRING 9 WIN COACHES! This program is circling the bowl as it is due to the expectations here at times. 9 wins isn't good enough scares away a lot of coaches and makes the job undesirable to most coaches out there. We simply can't fire him next season if that's what happens. The best thing that could happen is that he retires if that happens next season. Then you bring in a new coach for 2018's schedule. That could be brutal as well when you look at that schedule. He keeps winning 8 or 9 games a season we're stuck with him until he retires. We better hope for a good season next year because the next two after that could get ugly if they don't figure this out.

I agree with much of what you said, but don't forget about last year. It was totally unacceptable and if we see a couple more .500ish records the next two years, 2016 will be an anomaly and should have no bearing on his employment at NU.

I guess I have never thought it scared coaches away. Coaches take jobs knowing they are going to get canned. That is why they sign a nice 5 year deal that is all guaranteed.

So you go to a top coach/coordinator and say "Here it is, 20 million over 5 years..."

• Fire 2

The question is... ?

How did that happen ?

Harvey.

He didn't act alone. The "major boosters" had as much to do with it as he did.

And that's my point... the problems at Nebraska start at the very top.

Urban Meyer inherited a team that is head and shoulders above us in talent right now. OSU is simply better across the board and so are each of those other teams you mentioned.

I'm fairly certain that we beat Ohio state the year before Meyer took over. They didn't look that much more athletic than we did that day.

They were kicking the crap out of us until they lost their starting quarterback to injury.

• Fire 1

Urban Meyer inherited a team that is head and shoulders above us in talent right now. OSU is simply better across the board and so are each of those other teams you mentioned.

I'm fairly certain that we beat Ohio state the year before Meyer took over. They didn't look that much more athletic than we did that day.
They were kicking the crap out of us until they lost their starting quarterback to injury.

So you're saying we won.

So you're saying we won.

You're right, we did. However, you post makes it sound like it was all roses.

I agree with much of what you said, but don't forget about last year. It was totally unacceptable and if we see a couple more .500ish records the next two years, 2016 will be an anomaly and should have no bearing on his employment at NU.

I agree about last year being unacceptable and I'm certainly not saying we need to accept mediocrity. We are in a sticky situation though and need to let this play out some. The folks that want Riley fired now though never wanted him in the first place. Firing him now simply isn't a good option.

I agree about last year being unacceptable and I'm certainly not saying we need to accept mediocrity. We are in a sticky situation though and need to let this play out some. The folks that want Riley fired now though never wanted him in the first place. Firing him now simply isn't a good option.

Well...it depends. If the end result means Chip Kelly then it is a great option. If the end result is a no-name...it is a bad option

Well...it depends. If the end result means Chip Kelly then it is a great option. If the end result is a no-name...it is a bad option

We'd have to have someone just waiting in the wings like you say for it to be an option. Another firing with a "Hey, this is Nebraska, we'll find someone great while not paying the amount needed to get someone great" can't happen again.

We'd have to have someone just waiting in the wings like you say for it to be an option. Another firing with a "Hey, this is Nebraska, we'll find someone great while not paying the amount needed to get someone great" can't happen again.

I totally agree...

Scary thing is, according to SE he actually had his option in place after canning Bo...what did he say "On, I only had one guy on my list, only talked to one guy, I knew I wanted him since my time at South Carolina" or something like that.

I could only imagine who he would have lined up this time...