Tangent Thread - January 2017 Edition

cornstar

So I went and looked up Total Defense Ranking for UConn (curious I don't see a 15th ranking in there anywhere)...

2014: 49th

2015: 30th

2016: 64th

Look I just went with what I heard from what Diaco said in his presser. I don't have to scour through his numbers as a head coach to trust what he said and be excited by the hire. I was a little off on my facts (the 15th ranking in scoring defense was in year 2) but my point remains the same. I think his system is flexible.

In your original comment you said: "Did you not here him say his first year at UCONN they were a top 15 defense?"

That implies the 15th rated defense in the nation.

So now you're saying he meant only scoring defense... not the other 7 metrics used in tabulating Total Defense Ranking.

So at his presser did he cherry pick a metric... ? Did he specify the 15th ranking only applied to the scoring defense metric ?

So I went and looked up Total Defense Ranking for UConn (curious I don't see a 15th ranking in there anywhere)...

Look I just went with what I heard from what Diaco said in his presser. I don't have to scour through his numbers as a head coach to trust what he said and be excited by the hire. I was a little off on my facts (the 15th ranking in scoring defense was in year 2) but my point remains the same. I think his system is flexible.

In your original comment you said: "Did you not here him say his first year at UCONN they were a top 15 defense?"

So now you're saying he meant only scoring defense... not the other 7 metrics used in tabulating Total Defense Ranking.

So at his presser did he cherry pick a metric... ? Did he specify the 15th ranking only applied to the scoring defense metric ?

he didn't specify scoring defense or otherwise, I didn't care to fact check him as it wasn't a political debate.

You're trying too hard. There's plenty of evidence to make your case without resorting to nit-picking Diaco's wording in a press conference.

• Fire 1

You are a ball of sunshine. How is it possible to be this negative? It would help us all if you would just crawl back under whatever bridge you came out from. Troll.

Did you not here him say his first year at UCONN they were a top 15 defense? I think his system is adaptable and effective just based on that. He will construct the system around the players we have.

Look who they played. They play in the American Athletic Conference.

And he was not the Defensive coach of that team... he was the head coach...

Of a team that went... 2-10... 6-7... 3-9... in his 3 years as head coach.

Aren't you just the cutest little hater? Skeptical is one thing but htf would you know? Present some credentials or stop.

Typical... you have nothing to say (no counterargument or rebuttal...nothing)... so you launch a personal attack against a fellow member.

We are all responding to comments made by Adam Carriker.

I suggest that if you don't like what he said... or if you know more than he does... you take it up with him.

Lol.

Yes the American was soooo bad this year, that it had 5 of its coaches poached to become HC's at fairly big time P5 jobs. Get outta here troll boy.

Diaco's record at UConn in the American Athletic Conference was:

2014: 2-10

2015: 6-7

2016: 3-9... last place in American Athletic Conference 2016... fired after 3 years.

You may not like those facts... but those are the facts.

So being considered one of the nations top DCs and winning the top assistant award aren't facts? You're debating head coach vs DC. Are you trolling or actually that thick?

You're not paying attention.

I'm the one who correctly pointed out he was not the DC at UConn... so the original claim (comment #9 of this thread) was not relevant anyway. You need to direct your comment to that person.

You cant have it both ways.

What in the hell are you talking about? You can't be serious here.

Obviously he implemented his defensive system at UCONN. I know that, because he stated such in the press conference. I would imagine, much like when Bo Pelini started here, he was coordinating that defense at UCONN. They were fantastic his first year, crazy better than the year before with players recruited to play a 4-3.

His team did not win enough games, but that was not on the defense. Maybe he failed managing the offense and special teams and the overall vision of the program. Luckily for us, he won't be doing any of that here. He will be doing what he is really awesome at. The thing that made him a millionaire. He will be ONLY responsible for the defense.

THAT is why both facts matter. If you can't understand that I guess we have another person on that ignore list that keeps growing.

"They were fantastic his first year, crazy better than the year before"... Wrong.

This is why you don't allow incorrect information to be splattered around.

In 2013... the year before Diaco was hired at UConn... UConn had the No.27 ranked Defense in the country... which is a higher ranking than at any time while Diaco was coaching at UConn.

Did you not here him say his first year at UCONN they were a top 15 defense? I think his system is adaptable and effective just based on that. He will construct the system around the players we have.

Aren't you just the cutest little hater? Skeptical is one thing but htf would you know? Present some credentials or stop.

Typical... you have nothing to say (no counterargument or rebuttal...nothing)... so you launch a personal attack against a fellow member.

I suggest that if you don't like what he said... or if you know more than he does... you take it up with him.

Lol.

Yes the American was soooo bad this year, that it had 5 of its coaches poached to become HC's at fairly big time P5 jobs. Get outta here troll boy.

2016: 3-9... last place in American Athletic Conference 2016... fired after 3 years.

So being considered one of the nations top DCs and winning the top assistant award aren't facts? You're debating head coach vs DC. Are you trolling or actually that thick?

I'm the one who correctly pointed out he was not the DC at UConn... so the original claim (comment #9 of this thread) was not relevant anyway. You need to direct your comment to that person.

Obviously he implemented his defensive system at UCONN. I know that, because he stated such in the press conference. I would imagine, much like when Bo Pelini started here, he was coordinating that defense at UCONN. They were fantastic his first year, crazy better than the year before with players recruited to play a 4-3.

His team did not win enough games, but that was not on the defense. Maybe he failed managing the offense and special teams and the overall vision of the program. Luckily for us, he won't be doing any of that here. He will be doing what he is really awesome at. The thing that made him a millionaire. He will be ONLY responsible for the defense.

THAT is why both facts matter. If you can't understand that I guess we have another person on that ignore list that keeps growing.

"They were fantastic his first year, crazy better than the year before"... Wrong.

In 2013... the year before Diaco was hired at UConn... UConn had the No.27 ranked Defense in the country... which is a higher ranking than at any time while Diaco was coaching at UConn.

Did you read at all about the style of defense we are talking about? You sound extremely ignorant to the principles of this defense and what the goals of it are.

This no-crease 3-4 gives up yards between the 20s but doesn't allow points. In 2013 UConn was 86th in scoring defense THE ONLY STAT THAT REALLY MATTERS. By 2015 they were #15 in that stat.

Those in glass houses...

In 2013 UConn was the #85 scoring D and #51 total D.

So you're not even close. Care to explain how you're not trolling and misrepresenting the facts?

EDIT: Fixed the total D rank and strike out the rest as we have conflicting sources of information that disagree.

• Fire 2

Lol.

Did you read at all about the style of defense we are talking about? You sound extremely ignorant to the principles of this defense and what the goals of it are.

This no-crease 3-4 gives up yards between the 20s but doesn't allow points. In 2013 UConn was 86th in scoring defense THE ONLY STAT THAT REALLY MATTERS. By 2015 they were #15 in that stat.

Diaco's record at UConn...

2-10

6-7

3-9

Obviously it's not "The only stat that really matters".

Those in glass houses...

In 2013 UConn was the #85 scoring D and #65 total D.

So you're not even close. Care to explain how you're not trolling and misrepresenting the facts?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/sort/totalYards/year/2013

Lol.

Diaco's record at UConn...

2-10

6-7

3-9

Obviously it's not "The only stat that really matters".

Sigh...

If he won games as a head coach he wouldn't be available as a coordinator. I'm done with you troll boy

Osmium, Iridium, Husker Psycho

Those in glass houses...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/sort/totalYards/year/2013

Interesting. Well, here's a direct link to the NCAA stats for UConn 2013: http://stats.ncaa.org/team/164/11520?game_sport_year_ctl_id=11520

So either ESPN or the NCAA page is wrong.

Those in glass houses...

According to the link you provided...

In 2013... UConn was ranked 51st in Total D.

Those in glass houses...

51=27???? Damn, that common core math really is a lot different.

Those in glass houses...

Correct. I edited that post.

Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaLQgktZBus