Tangent Thread - January 2017 Edition

cornstar

Did you not here him say his first year at UCONN they were a top 15 defense? I think his system is adaptable and effective just based on that. He will construct the system around the players we have.

Look who they played. They play in the American Athletic Conference.

And he was not the Defensive coach of that team... he was the head coach...

Of a team that went... 2-10... 6-7... 3-9... in his 3 years as head coach.

Aren't you just the cutest little hater? Skeptical is one thing but htf would you know? Present some credentials or stop.

Did you not here him say his first year at UCONN they were a top 15 defense? I think his system is adaptable and effective just based on that. He will construct the system around the players we have.

Aren't you just the cutest little hater? Skeptical is one thing but htf would you know? Present some credentials or stop.

Typical... you have nothing to say (no counterargument or rebuttal...nothing)... so you launch a personal attack against a fellow member.

We are all responding to comments made by Adam Carriker.

I suggest that if you don't like what he said... or if you know more than he does... you take it up with him.

Typical... you have nothing to say (no counterargument or rebuttal...nothing)... so you launch a personal attack against a fellow member.

I suggest that if you don't like what he said... or if you know more than he does... you take it up with him.

Lol.

Yes the American was soooo bad this year, that it had 5 of its coaches poached to become HC's at fairly big time P5 jobs. Get outta here troll boy.

Heard that when Rielly came too, yet we chunked the ball more with TA (not his strength) than I can remember ever seeing.
Well if you want me to break out some stats I can show you that we really didn't chuck it around that much, and also I don't think Riley's offensive system is as flexible as a 34/4-2-5 hybrid DEFENSE, which again is much different than an offensive system

Lol.

Yes the American was soooo bad this year, that it had 5 of its coaches poached to become HC's at fairly big time P5 jobs. Get outta here troll boy.

Diaco's record at UConn in the American Athletic Conference was:

2014: 2-10

2015: 6-7

2016: 3-9... last place in American Athletic Conference 2016... fired after 3 years.

You may not like those facts... but those are the facts.

Lol.

Diaco's record at UConn was:

2016: 3-9... last place in American Athletic Conference 2016... fired after 3 years.

Which will have no bearing on how good he does as D.C.

Lane kiffin- bad head coach, good offensive coordinator

Lol.

So being considered one of the nations top DCs and winning the top assistant award aren't facts? You're debating head coach vs DC. Are you trolling or actually that thick?

• Fire 1

Steve Pederson has been gone for nearly 10 years. He has nothing to do with this team's "grasping at straws".

I also believe firing the two most maligned coaches, who happen to be long-time friends, is not grasping at straws. It's doing what it takes to field a championship caliber team. Time will tell if it works.

I think the questions most people are asking is:

Why did he hire those people in the first place if they weren't championship caliber coaches ?

Did we throw the last 2 years away because he hired his friends ?

Lol.

So being considered one of the nations top DCs and winning the top assistant award aren't facts? You're debating head coach vs DC. Are you trolling or actually that thick?

You're not paying attention.

I'm the one who correctly pointed out he was not the DC at UConn... so the original claim (comment #9 of this thread) was not relevant anyway. You need to direct your comment to that person.

You cant have it both ways.

Steve Pederson has been gone for nearly 10 years. He has nothing to do with this team's "grasping at straws".

I also believe firing the two most maligned coaches, who happen to be long-time friends, is not grasping at straws. It's doing what it takes to field a championship caliber team. Time will tell if it works.

Why did he hire those people in the first place if they weren't championship caliber coaches ?

I suspect that he thought Mark Banker deserved a chance with better resources, better players, etc. because Mike knows that Mark is a good coach. It is possible that Mike Riley realized that Nebraska needs a great coach or simply a change to the 3-4 because we aren't recruiting DL that seem to be everywhere in the SEC. While watching those DL during the National Championship game I thought to myself that we don't have guys anywhere near the athletic ability and talent of those DL. I also thought how the hell can we get those guys. I think the answer is that you don't bank on getting those guys and move to a defense like the 3-4 and give your players every chance to be successful due to the uncertainty that it creates in the offensive blocking schemes and the QB. I suspect that Wisconsin runs the 3-4 for that exact reason. Not a lot of Simeon Rice like DE running around in WI and none in NE either. I'm sure that Mark Banker's defense would have been amazing with the Grant W., Adam C., Suh, etc. Was there any DC available in 15 that could have been hired to run the 3-4. I don't know but I trust that Mike Riley will get the job done here in Nebraska. GBR

Lol.

I'm the one who correctly pointed out he was not the DC at UConn... so the original claim (comment #9 of this thread) was not relevant anyway. You need to direct your comment to that person.

What in the hell are you talking about? You can't be serious here.

Obviously he implemented his defensive system at UCONN. I know that, because he stated such in the press conference. I would imagine, much like when Bo Pelini started here, he was coordinating that defense at UCONN. They were fantastic his first year, crazy better than the year before with players recruited to play a 4-3.

His team did not win enough games, but that was not on the defense. Maybe he failed managing the offense and special teams and the overall vision of the program. Luckily for us, he won't be doing any of that here. He will be doing what he is really awesome at. The thing that made him a millionaire. He will be ONLY responsible for the defense.

THAT is why both facts matter. If you can't understand that I guess we have another person on that ignore list that keeps growing.

• Fire 1

Lol.

What in the hell are you talking about? You can't be serious here.

Obviously he implemented his defensive system at UCONN. I know that, because he stated such in the press conference. I would imagine, much like when Bo Pelini started here, he was coordinating that defense at UCONN. They were fantastic his first year, crazy better than the year before with players recruited to play a 4-3.

His team did not win enough games, but that was not on the defense. Maybe he failed managing the offense and special teams and the overall vision of the program. Luckily for us, he won't be doing any of that here. He will be doing what he is really awesome at. The thing that made him a millionaire. He will be ONLY responsible for the defense.

THAT is why both facts matter. If you can't understand that I guess we have another person on that ignore list that keeps growing.

Just curious... does anyone know ?

What was UConn's defense ranked this year ?

To answer your first question, I really think Riley thought the coaching staff he brought with him was championship caliber. Riley probably felt that the staff would be able to elevate their performance and the heightened expectations that come with taking a job at a big boy program like Nebraska. The thing is, if you've never been at a top flight program (Riley has the 3 year stint with San Diego but that's about it) it's hard to tell if your staff will sink or swim unless they've been through it. Some people excel when the pressure is on, others shrink. It's evident that Banker, Read, Hughes and others shrunk under the pressure. That doesn't mean they aren't good coaches or men, they just aren't good enough to be coaches at Nebraska.

For your second question...I would say no. He thought his long time assistants could get the job done, when that proved to not be the case, he pulled the trigger and fired them. I'm not one to harp on people when they make a mistake, I will crush people when they continue to make the same mistake. In retrospect, Riley made a mistake bringing Banker and Read with him, but I commend him for realizing it and quickly cutting ties with them for upgrading to Diaco (although time will tell).

Why is Diaco's record as a HC this relevant right now? There are an incredible number of coordinators and positions coaches who are skilled in those roles, but don't make very good head coaches. Bill Callahan and Wade Phillips are two that come to mind immediately.