McKewon: The Great Nebraska Talent Debate

In a better system for the run game, Newby's talent would have shown more.

If more talent was ready and available for the offensive line, might not have seen the likes of Hahn, Knevel, Conrad, Whitaker getting ample time. Not to mention, injuries to "starters"

With a different approach in pass situations, Akinmoladun and a few others may have been deadly blitzers. Perhaps a few guys would have returned instead of going pro (VV, Collins).

Having Westerkamp, Reilly, Alonzo Moore, Stanley, Carter, DPE running pass routes, one might think they could connect on a better success rate with a QB that had all this game experience....

I could go on and on.

Seems like everything gets lumped into a talent debate. But these examples indicate that there's more to it than that.

• Fire 1

Making Chimichangas said: Apparently to some on this board, bemoaning our pitiful draft representation is the de-facto "see we have no talent at all" rallying cry.

Elf said: In all my time here, lurking and otherwise, I've never seen someone make that argument. Ever.

​I give you...(all these posts are on the same page.)

lo country said: For all those who argued coaching or talent, I give you these draft results......... Damn. One guy. In round 5, who IMO, was one of our best players........(I thought we had talent)
always husking said: Last year's team was the least talented Husker team I'd seen, so no surprise with the lack of draftees. Here's to having more talent in the future
southernoregonhusker said: got roasted when I argued that we didn't have talent. I got further roasted when I said Westy and Cethon wouldn't get drafted, and that Gerry would go in the later rounds. I'd say I am a genius typically, but this draft wasn't surprising at all . We lacked talent in a big way. For those who argued against me, I still don't know what you were watching. This lack of talent was obvious.
jsneb83 said: Well, I would say the fact that the colleges with the most players drafted are the ones competing for championships tells a different story
1995 Redux said: It's not far off. There's a reason Alabama just sent an almost record amout of kids Pro. Even Chicago couldn't help but take a Bama guy, and they drafted two DII and an FCS guy! And the last couple years, we havent had much of either when ya get down to it.

Now are they saying EXACTLY:

"That having players drafted is the be all end all."

No, not exactly...but it's close enough to the bulls eye to count.

Since not once did they use the word "no" when referring to talent I would say not only did you miss the bulls eye / you just barely grazed the target.

Depends on what the definition of "is" is...

Way to ridiculously parse words...

:rickjames

I said, that nobody said that EXACTLY. But great job on being needlessly contrarian.

Further, lo country's quote implies NO talent. As does every other quote.

But right, they didn't say it EXACTLY.

(rolling my eyes.)

• Fire 1