McKewon: The Great Nebraska Talent Debate

Penn St. says hi.

12304912.jpeg

1 player drafted this year...

Penn state is an outlier because of the sanctions. They will put a lot more in the draft in years to come

missing-the-point.gif

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they missed your point entirely.

You don't have to agree with the fact that once again....Penn State had one as in only one guy get drafted this year yet they somehow miraculously are in fact Big 10 Champions. That was the point and it also is fact.

Of course somehow someway just like he did and certain other HB/Riley mega fans will somehow do is to find a way to not acknowledge that how many guys get 'drafted' does not equate to how well a team might or might not do if the right coaches are in place.

The point is and was if you get the right coaches in place good things can and as Penn State has shown the country will happen regardless of how many guys get drafted.

Penn St. says hi.

12304912.jpeg

Penn state is an outlier because of the sanctions. They will put a lot more in the draft in years to come

missing-the-point.gif

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they missed your point entirely.

You don't have to agree with the fact that once again....Penn State had one as in only one guy get drafted this year yet they somehow miraculously are in fact Big 10 Champions. That was the point and it also is fact.

Of course somehow someway just like he did and certain other HB/Riley mega fans will somehow do is to find a way to not acknowledge that how many guys get 'drafted' does not equate to how well a team might or might not do if the right coaches are in place.

The point is and was if you get the right coaches in place good things can and as Penn State has shown the country will happen regardless of how many guys get drafted.

you're talking about the psu coaching staff that went 7-6 in each of their first two years, correct?
  • Fire 1

Penn St. says hi.

12304912.jpeg

missing-the-point.gif

you're talking about the psu coaching staff that went 7-6 in each of their first two years, correct?

Do you really want to go down that road?

Well since you insist....you mean the same coaching staff that took over after the school was placed on 5 years probation along with a 4 year post season ban only to win the Big 10 title in their third year coaching?

You mean that staff?

Ahem.....

Penn St. says hi.

12304912.jpeg

missing-the-point.gif

Well since you insist....you mean the same coaching staff that took over after the school was placed on 5 years probation along with a 4 year post season ban only to win the Big 10 title in their third year coaching?

You mean that staff?

Ahem.....

oh sorry, I just thought that immediate turn arounds were how you perceived great coaching (Frost? Harbaugh?). I guess you do actually believe that every situation is different...

Penn St. says hi.

12304912.jpeg

missing-the-point.gif

You mean that staff?

Ahem.....

oh sorry, I just thought that immediate turn arounds were how you perceived great coaching (Frost? Harbaugh?). I guess you do actually believe that every situation is different...

Well you're right. Also losing 40 initial scholarships from 2013-2017 does make their situation slightly different.....

Derp.

Penn St. says hi.

12304912.jpeg

missing-the-point.gif

You mean that staff?

Ahem.....

and that's exactly my point as well. Penn State has had some extenuating circumstances. Their coaching has been phenomenal, I will not refute that, but because of that they have brought in some talent. It's not as if Penn State is just devoid of talent compared to the East, they have some really good players as well. That is because Franklin is a good recruiter and has translated that onto the field. I was just pointing out that this draft class from them has been affected by the sanctions. That is an important caveat imo.

We will see how Riley does in year 3. If we success similar to PSU this season will us Riley megafans be wrong thinking Riley is the right coach?

Penn St. says hi.

12304912.jpeg

missing-the-point.gif

You mean that staff?

Ahem.....

and that's exactly my point as well. Penn State has had some extenuating circumstances. Their coaching has been phenomenal, I will not refute that, but because of that they have brought in some talent. It's not as if Penn State is just devoid of talent compared to the East, they have some really good players as well. That is because Franklin is a good recruiter and has translated that onto the field. I was just pointing out that this draft class from them has been affected by the sanctions. That is an important caveat imo.

We will see how Riley does in year 3. If we success similar to PSU this season will us Riley megafans be wrong thinking Riley is the right coach?

Good post Nebfanatic. I'll go as far as saying yes. Riley could be the right coach. Do I think he/they can put it 'all together' and challenge for Big 10 titles at least somewhat routinely? Personally no. I don't. Could he and his staff be the right coaches to get get us back on track at least somewhat? There's always that chance.

• Fire 1

Penn St. says hi.

12304912.jpeg

missing-the-point.gif

You mean that staff?

Ahem.....

Well you're right. Also losing 40 initial scholarships from 2013-2017 does make their situation slightly different.....

Derp.

It's funny you make fun of me for "missing the point" but this was my point exactly. Penn State having 1 drafted is in pretty large relation to sanctions. Doesn't compare to a pretty large senior class that contributed greatly to this team having only one player drafted. Penn State is returning their contributors.

Penn St. says hi.

12304912.jpeg

missing-the-point.gif

You mean that staff?

Ahem.....

Derp.

It's funny you make fun of me for "missing the point" but this was my point exactly. Penn State having 1 drafted is in pretty large relation to sanctions. Doesn't compare to a pretty large senior class that contributed greatly to this team having only one player drafted. Penn State is returning their contributors.

I got your point trust me and it's all good. Nebraska and Penn State both had 1 player drafted. Both teams obviously had much different results. Penn State has undoubtedly had some larger hurdles to overcome at the same time also. I did get your point though.

• Fire 1

We just have a fundamental difference here then, because I believe Riley can have us competing for a conference title this year and sustain that momentum. Maybe I am in the minority but I think Riley's approach to his job combined with the resources we have at Nebraska will yield very favorable results.

Interesting article but read those player bio's. Some of those descriptions didn't necessarily make those guys sound like sure fire 'locks' to get drafted. A lot of 'if's' and 'could be's.'

Penn State has talent however there's no question about that. Godwin was sick last year (their only player drafted this year) and I know a lot of people don't like McSorley but I loved watching him play. Same for Gesicki and Barkley.

Said it before: Nebraska's talent is not as bad as some perceive it to be. It's also not as good as some perceive either. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

What I do know, or at the least am relatively sure of...

...is that losing by 59 to Ohio State, 30 to Iowa, and getting beat by Wisconsin every single year (except one) tends to give people outside of the program, a negative perception of Nebraska's "talent" level.

• Fire 2