B1G to Allow Scheduling FCS Teams Again

A Big Ten Conference mandate of not scheduling FCS football programs has been modified to put the Division I younger brothers back in the conversation again.

North Dakota State athletic director Matt Larsen said he's been told the new policy is a direct reflection of the nine-game Big Ten schedule. On years where a Big Ten team has four home league games, it will be allowed to put an FCS team on its slate.

At the least, it gives NDSU an open phone line to the Big Ten again. Whether anybody answers the call is another matter.

"We sure hope so," Larsen said. "Again, the best part for us is with the Big Ten, it's the most geographical favorable footprint and they are the teams we would most prefer to play. There are a lot of Land Grant institutions and it gives our fan base more ability to travel."

The Big Ten instituted its no-FCS policy in 2015, citing strength of schedule as a major means of qualifying for the College Football Playoff. NDSU played the University of Iowa last season, but that game was scheduled in 2011.

Link

In my opinion smart teams shouldn't schedule NDSU. Nothing to gain and quite a bit to lose. I'm not one to run from a challenge, but pick a smarter challenge.

Edit: if I'm a playoff contender in the B1G my ideal non con schedule looks something like this

Kansas

Stanford

Cincinnati

• Fire 1