Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This comes out on a day the Stock Market is down 300 points and down 8 out of the last 9 days.

And....farm commodities in the tank.

I don't know how much people care about the stock market unless it supports their team. 50% of Americans have 0 stocks.

Tariffs probably aren't affecting a lot of people yet.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I don't know how much people care about the stock market unless it supports their team. 50% of Americans have 0 stocks.

Tariffs probably aren't affecting a lot of people yet.

You're right on stocks.  But, that's still 50% of the country.

Then, you add in the number of people affected by low commodity prices.  That's not just farmers.  That affects a very large part of the US.  Take Nebraska.  Farmers not making money also affects the business's in town including everything from pivot dealers, car dealers, home builders/contractors....etc.  These areas are also where Trump won the election.

Many of these people won't feel this until some point down the road.  But, if we stay on this path, it will be felt.  

34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You're right on stocks.  But, that's still 50% of the country.

Then, you add in the number of people affected by low commodity prices.  That's not just farmers.  That affects a very large part of the US.  Take Nebraska.  Farmers not making money also affects the business's in town including everything from pivot dealers, car dealers, home builders/contractors....etc.  These areas are also where Trump won the election.

Many of these people won't feel this until some point down the road.  But, if we stay on this path, it will be felt.  

Ya, that's what I'm thinking. Most people haven't felt the effects... yet.

Also, we were due for a downturn/recession regardless of who's president. I'm guessing the trade war Trump has manufactured out of thin air will speed it along. And I don't wish for it, but if it has to happen I hope it's before November.

It will be interesting to see if the people who've looked the other way when it comes to Trump's bigotry and adultery will do the same when it comes to their pocketbooks.

21 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Not only do 50% of Americans own no stocks.  The top 10% own 84% of all stocks.  Top 20% own 92%.  So, 80% of Americans together own just 8% of all stocks.  Stocks just aren't relevant to most people.

Like I said in my last post about farm commodities.  Stock prices can affect people who don't even own them.  For instance, if stocks continue to fall, companies possible will not have funding for projects which affects rank and file employees...etc.

It's not as simple as many people think.

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Like I said in my last post about farm commodities.  Stock prices can affect people who don't even own them.  For instance, if stocks continue to fall, companies possible will not have funding for projects which affects rank and file employees...etc.

Agreed for the most part.  Except for the example you gave after the massive tax break corporations received.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

For some companies, the trade war will wipe out gains from those.

Which is something I don't understand from Trump.  It seems like if he would have just stepped aside after the tax cuts that the economy and stock market would have just continued to climb.  

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think this is all a timing and awareness thing. So far most people haven't been negatively affected by these things. And some of the negative effects of falling stock prices won't be blamed on falling stock prices. It all depends on how the political parties do at blaming the other side.

I'm sure it there is a recession this year it will be blamed on Obama.

57 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Which is something I don't understand from Trump.  It seems like if he would have just stepped aside after the tax cuts that the economy and stock market would have just continued to climb.  

The stock market was on a trajectory that wasn't sustainable.  It was also (as almost anything with the market) almost all based on speculation.  The bubble was going to pop one way or the other.  The trade war was just the pin that popped it.  The problem is that the continued idiotic decisions of the administration is continuing to beat it down.

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The stock market was on a trajectory that wasn't sustainable.  It was also (as almost anything with the market) almost all based on speculation.  The bubble was going to pop one way or the other.  The trade war was just the pin that popped it.  The problem is that the continued idiotic decisions of the administration is continuing to beat it down.

So he's drumming up a trade war to stop a speculative bubble. The man is a genius!