Nebraska-Colorado post Thanksgiving game

The other Big XII execs are looking to stick it to Nebraska. Although part of it is ABC the rat bastard cousin of ESPN.

link

Buffs-Huskers date in trouble

The possibility exists football game will be moved on calendar

STORY TOOLS

Email this story | Print By B.G. Brooks, Rocky Mountain News

May 25, 2006

COLORADO SPRINGS - The Big 12 Conference's number of league football games won't change for the foreseeable future, but the future of the University of Colorado's popular post-Thanksgiving date with archrival Nebraska isn't as certain.

Big 12 athletic directors and football coaches reached a predictable consensus Wednesday on retaining an eight-game league schedule and continuing to play a conference championship game.

But the Friday-after-Thanksgiving contest between the Buffaloes and Cornhuskers - it has been an apparently attractive ABC fixture for 10 consecutive seasons - might be in jeopardy.

With the nine-game league scheduling proposal finally quashed, commissioner Kevin Weiberg said conference administrators will begin focusing on whether to use Thanksgiving weekend as part of the Big 12's regular football schedule.

"We're still trying to work through that and give our athletic directors a chance to have a little more on- campus dialogue before a final decision is made," Weiberg said.

In most seasons past, only the CU-Nebraska and Texas-Texas A&M games have been featured on the Friday after Turkey Day. More recently, though, Big 12 games also have been scheduled the next day.

Now, according to Weiberg, the league is eyeing that Saturday for a possible full slate of conference games. ABC, which has a contract with the Big 12 that ends after the 2007 season, "from time to time has asked about the possibility of having different teams play or altering who plays on Friday and maybe putting one of those games on Saturday," Weiberg said. "So anything is possible there."

CU athletic director Mike Bohn, attending league spring meetings here that end today, indicated his school would lobby as forcefully as possible to keep the Buffs-Cornhuskers game where it is. Nebraska AD Steve Pederson could not be reached for comment.

"The equity that's in the game and in the series is significant," Bohn said. "I wouldn't want to do anything to take away from that. I believe that our fans and Nebraska fans have become accustomed to that. It has great tradition and stature. . . .

"It makes a lot of sense (to lobby hard to keep the date). . . . I think our television partners recognize that it's an event with a great deal of presence that is significant."

This season CU plays at Nebraska (Nov. 24), with the Cornhuskers traveling to Boulder in 2007 - the last season under the Big 12's current ABC contract.

Even if the league designates Thanksgiving weekend for a full football schedule, Weiberg said, "I think there's the assumption" that two games still will be played on the Friday after the holiday.

"When we get into an actual negotiation (with ABC), we'll see how it plays out," he said. "But right now the assumption is we continue to have the Thanksgiving Friday opportunities."

A scheduling matter yet to be resolved, Weiberg said, is assuring any teams involved in the Friday game a bye on the preceding Saturday to prevent "people potentially playing with a short week of preparation."

CU and Nebraska have had an open date on that Saturday for the past 10 years, allowing each ample preparation time. Also, Weiberg said if the full-Thanksgiving weekend schedule is adopted, it could "create some flexibility early in the schedule for the possibility of a bye . . . which coaches seem to favor."

Weiberg said that issue "was not completely resolved, but we'll get that one done fairly quickly. It could be as simple as giving those teams a slotted bye that play on that week."

Bohn seemed uncertain about other league schools' willingness to play every season on the holiday weekend.

"Not everybody likes to play on Thanksgiving weekend," he said. "Again, it's emerged into something special (for CU and Nebraska) and we'd want to continue to do everything we can to enhance that."

Weiberg said the ADs and football coaches "were very united" - Bohn called it "refreshing" - in wanting to maintain an eight-game league schedule.

"It was clear that there was really no sentiment in the room to even bring up and make a motion to move to a nine-game schedule."

1. " I believe that our fans and Nebraska fans have become accustomed to that.

2. "Again, it's emerged into something special (for CU and Nebraska) and we'd want to continue to do everything we can to enhance that."

No. 1: let me properly rephrase that, and finish that sentence for him "Colorado has become accustomed to that ass kicking."

No. 2: a special kind of ass kicking

you think CU is mediocre now? wait until they get rid of CU-NU after turkey day. the earth will open up and swallow boulder and nothing will be left behind but a purple haze of bonghits and the musky scent of prostituted sex.

Are you sure that's prostituded sex or all out rape?

you think CU is mediocre now?  wait until they get rid of CU-NU after turkey day.  the earth will open up and swallow boulder and nothing will be left behind but a purple haze of bonghits and the musky scent of prostituted sex.

Are you sure that's prostituded sex or all out rape?

are you sure you can spell?

besides, its only rape if she wakes up.

ABC probably witnessed the CU fans embarrassing display last year and that may be why they're considering different teams for the date.

Good point!!!!!

Since the game was on ABC last year I'm sure they did notice it. :blink:

I wish they would come out and say it in the press to put a permanent stain on Colorado's public image!!

They've done it the last 10 seasons, it should be tradition, we don't have the OU game any more, so this should stay a tradition. Nowadays it seems that nothing is sacred and it's always about maximizing profit. I don't know about other people but this game has become part my families Thanksgiving weekend ritual.