UCF statistical rankings

beorach

It would seem that this is relevant to NU football now so I figured I'd share.  You all know what I'm doing.  Click on one of my older posts if you don't.  There should be one on page 2.  Numbers given are percentiles.  No adjustment has been made for strength of schedule.  This is simply how UCF's individual stats compare to national averages from games between 130 FBS teams over the course of the season to date.

Passing Defense

completions per game: 38

completion percentage: 90

yards per attempt: 71

touchdowns per game: 40

passer rating: 82

yards per game: 28

Passing Offense

completions per game: 73

completion percentage: 94

yards per attempt: 99

touchdowns per game: 97

passer rating: 99

yards per game: 93

Rushing Defense

yards per carry: 56

touchdowns per game: 86

yards per game: 64

Rushing Offense

yards per carry: 85

touchdowns per game: 96

yards per game: 72

Scoring Defense

touchdowns per game: 76

points per game: 81

Scoring Offense

touchdowns per game: 100

points per game: 99

Total Defense

yards per play: 60

yards per game: 47

plays per game: 26

Total Offense

yards per play: 99

yards per game: 98

plays per game: 56

Turnover Margin

fumbles gained per game: 85

interceptions gained per game: 98

turnovers gained per game: 99

fumbles lost per game: 81

interceptions lost per game: 78

turnovers lost per game: 87

turnover margin per game: 99

As much as some of the defensive figures pale in comparison to the offensive ones, I am very encouraged by the turnover margin numbers.  The last two NU coaches didn't field teams that forced fumbles (unless you count our guys for Bo and that's even after Taylor graduated).

Edited by beorach
  • Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

So they are in the 38th percentile for completions against but in the 82 percentile for passer rating against?  That's interesting.

Yeah, I suppose it has to do with their defense having faced an unusual amount of plays.  The optimist in me thinks it's just a matter of UCF having turned turnovers into points.  Maybe they were always tougher to run on but teams were usually trying to come from behind...  Stats are so interdependent that it's tough to get a good picture from them.

52 minutes ago, beorach said:

Yeah, I suppose it has to do with their defense having faced an unusual amount of plays.  The optimist in me thinks it's just a matter of UCF having turned turnovers into points.  Maybe they were always tougher to run on but teams were usually trying to come from behind...  Stats are so interdependent that it's tough to get a good picture from them.

It seems to me from the stats teams pass a lot after getting behind. Teams complete a higher number of passes on them but the pass percentage and QB rating is low. UCF defense against the run isn't terrific enough to warrant teams avoiding rushing because they aren't successful. All of this in combination with the turnover margin and offensive statistics leads me to believe the UCF pass defense is getting a lot more work than the run defense do to teams coming from behind.

They do a good job at limiting efficiency. It's always going to be hard to limit a team to a low number off passing yards if they have decent athletes and are slinging it around nearly every down.

I am actually encouraged by the defensive numbers, I was a little sceptical of Chinander due to some comments by UCF fans but the statistics don't look too bad at all, all things considered. 

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 1

Something an article I was reading earlier pointed out: computer rankings love UCF, mostly putting them in the top five. If the BCS system were still in effect, they'd be ranked around #8, with a chance to move up after the AAC championship game.