Lean/Strong vs Mass/Bulk

It depends on your gender, and I don't know if you've ever said. I've just made an assumption.

Anyhow, if you are female, you won't bulk up unless you're a genetic freak. So don't worry about it. Don't be afraid to lift heavy for fear of getting too muscular. It's almost guaranteed not to happen.

If you're male, I'd imagine you won't bulk up too much as long as you're not specifically eating in order to bulk up. So don't start eating 200g of protein per day.

I'm guessing guys who know more about being a guy and lifting will give you a lot better answers.

Edited by Moiraine
4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It depends on your gender, and I don't know if you've ever said. I've just made an assumption.

Anyhow, if you are female, you won't bulk up unless you're a genetic freak. So don't worry about it. Don't be afraid to lift heavy for fear of getting too muscular. It's almost guaranteed not to happen.

If you're male, I'd imagine you won't bulk up too much as long as you're not specifically eating in order to bulk up. So don't start eating 200g of protein per day.

I'm guessing guys who know more about being a guy and lifting will give you a lot better answers.

That is pretty much it...

If after a year of 2 hours a day in the gym, 7 days a week...you look like Arnold...cut back a bit.  

Try going over maintenance by 100-200 calories with high protein (lean meats, nuts, etc). Eat quality food in general. 

Would also try mixing up sets, reps, workouts in general. Stick to squat, bench, and deadlift as they recruit the most muscle fibers. Weighted dips, pull-ups, cleans, and other such workouts I’ve also found to be enjoyable and also sculpt you to the bone. 

If you are finding you are gaining too much weight cut down calories and add some more cardio or sprints! 

Edited by Decked
  • 2 weeks later...

I am 48 and starting to get back in to getting fit.. as much as I can anyway. I am 5' 11" 195. Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, my recommended weight is 132.6 lbs - 179.2 lbs

lol, 132-179? holy crap.

Anyway, I know I need to drop some weight, but all the way down to 179? I don't think so! I had planned dropping to about 185, with weight training and cardio. I am only looking to regain strength, not build mass. My body type is one that shows muscle, even though I have not touched weights for 30 years... especially in my upper body. Not sure why, but it has always been that way for me.

I know I need to clean up my diet, which is easier said that done... sometimes. My wife went on a strict "no carbs" diet and it made a big impact for her... it isn't easy, though.

I work 70 miles away from home so that is about 2 hours and 30 minutes of drive time each day, I tend to get tired by the time I am home, so I decided to try testogen, to see if that helps