Poll: What gun legislation would you support?

What gun legislation would you support?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't want to start a new thread, but figured this question would fit in here.

The question was asked about "conceal carry" and if we'd like to see it expanded or not.  But I've always wondered how or if the impact of carrying a firearm is any different if it is concealed or openly carried in a holster. 

My thought has always been to prefer to be around "open carry" because I knew who had guns and I could make a judgement call if it made me feel safe or not.  And if the argument goes "if the bad guys know there are guns there, they won't go there", then why don't we want the guns to be visible.  Wouldn't that make the actual act of carrying a gun more effective?

33 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't want to start a new thread, but figured this question would fit in here.

The question was asked about "conceal carry" and if we'd like to see it expanded or not.  But I've always wondered how or if the impact of carrying a firearm is any different if it is concealed or openly carried in a holster. 

My thought has always been to prefer to be around "open carry" because I knew who had guns and I could make a judgement call if it made me feel safe or not.  And if the argument goes "if the bad guys know there are guns there, they won't go there", then why don't we want the guns to be visible.  Wouldn't that make the actual act of carrying a gun more effective?

I don't know if I can give you a complete answer, but I think that what you are describing (being more comfortable with open carry) is actually more in keeping with the history of the law.  When the concept of "concealed carry" was first conceived, it was when they were banning it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry_in_the_United_States

Concealed weapons bans were passed in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813. (In those days open carry of weapons for self-defense was considered acceptable; concealed carry was denounced as the practice of criminals.) By 1859, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Alabama, and Ohio had followed suit.[5] By the end of the nineteenth century, similar laws were passed in places such as Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma, which protected some gun rights in their state constitutions.[6] Before the mid 1900s, most U.S. states had passed concealed carry laws rather than banning weapons completely