How do you define femininity?

52 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This is flat-out bigotry.

It's certainly not my interpretation of gender identities.

It's not all that different from "conservatism/liberalism is a mental disorder," which despite getting thrown around a lot in certain circles, remains one of the more profoundly stupid statements I've ever heard.

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The notion there exists a single definition which roughly 50% of the population should seek to conform to seems sexist and misogynistic. Each woman (or dude with a penis and a mental illness that makes him think he should have been born without said penis, or would rather have boobs, or wear dresses, etc.) should be able to define femininity in her, his, xer (or insert preferred personal pronoun here) terms. 

Bad thread. I am offended.

[*] rants about the correct definition of masculinity and tells people who mildly disagree that they aren't

[*] "there's no single definition of being feminine"

[*] "i'm not sexist, i'm not sexist, you're the sexist"

like idol, like adherent

In all earnestness, though, many of you have provided lengthy and thoughtful answers about how we anchor our notion of masculinity. I'd like to hear the respective thoughts towards femininity articulated. And if you can't, or won't: why not? If you can, where do the differences come from, and why?

1 minute ago, zoogs said:

In all earnestness, though, many of you have provided lengthy and thoughtful answers about how we anchor our notion of masculinity. I'd like to hear the respective thoughts towards femininity articulated. And if you can't, or won't: why not? If you can, where do the differences come from, and why?

It’s a trick question. Liberals are suffering from a massive case of gender dysphoria. You’re working overtime to destroy the very concepts of masculinity and femininity.

Edited by Ric Flair
1 minute ago, zoogs said:

Do you know what gender dysphoria means?

Men should know things.

Yes. Gender dysphoria is a mental illness that occurs when men think they are women and women think they are men, despite clear scientific evidence that both anatomically and genetically that is not the case. Liberals, in a misguided attempt to show sympathy for the victims of this mental illness, advocate for hormonal treatments and body mutilation in order to ‘aid’ these people in having their bodies confirm to what they claim their minds insist they should look like.

it’s a similar mental illness to people who insist they are supposed to be amputees and slice off appendages to try to make their bodies look the way they want them to.

3 minutes ago, zoogs said:

How does one grow up in America, of all places, with such rank intolerance?

Is it cool if I self-identify as a puma? How about an acorn tree? At what point, do even liberals recognize that the problem isn’t that the body requires mutilation, but that the brain needs treatment?

I for one fully affirm the rights of puma-identifying Americans and I'm sorry if that threatens your fragile sensibilities.

Please start another "____ are hurting white men" thread for the puma thing, though, and let's get back on topic here.

Edited by zoogs
9 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I for one fully affirm the rights of puma-identifying Americans and I'm sorry if that threatens your fragile sensibilities.

Please start another "____ are hurting white men" thread for the puma thing, though, and let's get back on topic here.

I think puma-identifying Americans are going to need their own special restrooms and spot on the Census forms. They should also be a protected class. 

But right, back on topic. Remind me what purpose these topics serve? I thought liberals were working desperately to discard such antiquated social constructs as gender?

This topic is meant to be a parallel to Moiraine's "how do you define masculinity" topic -- I'm curious to see how people answer each of them.

For what it's worth, you're right: my answer is essentially the same; that there are no meaningful differences. Especially when it comes to assigning positive values to traits, we are really naming various positive ways of being human (for example, not being a bigot who delights in dehumanizing others). There's no expectation that everyone needs to live up to all of them (although the given example is one of the basic exceptions) because there are so many different things at which humans can excel, and we can celebrate all of them. The salient point here, however, is that we're not consigning universal qualities such as knowing how to do things or being smart and capable to one gender, to the implicit exclusion of others.