Our Finish in Big10 West

NU West Div Finish Poll - early summer 2018  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

There are dozens of reasons Nebraska probably won't win it. In 2019 I think there will be a lot less of those.

Well, for now, I choose to be positive and not think about the "dozens" of reasons NU won't win the West. Fortunately, I am correct much more often than those who feel the need to critique my posts on this board. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, California Husker said:

Well, for now, I choose to be positive and not think about the "dozens" of reasons NU won't win the West. Fortunately, I am correct much more often than those who feel the need to critique my posts on this board. 

My reply was very innocuous. Relax.

1 hour ago, California Husker said:

It's year 1 of a new regime.  Winning the division vs our rough schedule is a tall order.  Most don't expect that to happen.  That in no way makes them negative.  You seem to bring this snotty attitude every off-season when people don't pump as much sunshine as you do.  It's a pretty tired act.

You're clearly the one who needs to relax.

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's year 1 of a new regime.  Winning the division vs our rough schedule is a tall order.  Most don't expect that to happen.  That in no way makes them negative.  You seem to bring this snotty attitude every off-season when people don't pump as much sunshine as you do.  It's a pretty tired act.

You're clearly the one who needs to relax.

"snotty attitude"? Haha, you don't know me. But, I love how you "legends" stick together. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, California Husker said:

???

Unequal scheduling.  It is entirely possible for Nebraska to beat every other team in the West and not win the west due to the cross over games being more difficult for Nebraska compared to, say, Iowa this year

• Plus1 2

There are plenty of reasons to believe Nebraska could win the west. Frost turned a 0-12 football team with, presumably, near 0-12 talent into an undefeated team that was CFP level in two years. Did UCF get top recruiting classes? No. Frost was able to maximize existing talent and plug gaps where needed. Nebraksa’s base talent level is MUCH higher than UCF’s, even last year I might argue. There is reason to believe that he could take that talent, supplement with new recruits, and have this team competing in the weaker half of the B1G in year one. The schedule isn’t easy, but the division may not prove to be daunting either. 

51 minutes ago, dutch91701 said:

There are plenty of reasons to believe Nebraska could win the west. Frost turned a 0-12 football team with, presumably, near 0-12 talent into an undefeated team that was CFP level in two years. 

Since that is the basis for your argument, and it's very much not true given the state of that team prior to that year, your entire argument quickly falls flat. All of this has been discussed many times on this and every other venue attempting to analyze the frost effect. I won't reiterate it because it's tiresome and usually leads to insulting the accomplishment itself.

None of this is even necessary to state Nebraska could win the West, btw. We know the opposition in division isn't strong, save for a Wisconsin team that Nebraska hung with for 3 quarters last year and whom in general didn't perform great against 3 rather poor Riley teams. Everyone else in the division could be thrown into a grab bag and finish in one of the other spots, even Illinois (at some point playing nothing but youth may pay off).

Nebraska plausibly could run the division, even with just the median performance jumps one would expect from a first year staff. The bar simply isn't set that high. Need to get lucky with injuries, and need some surprises in crossover games. That could happen. Iowa gets Maryland and Indiana, for example. Maryland has talent, they just can't seem to get them on the same page and keep them there. If their luck changes, they could play spoiler. Indiana isnt likely to finish much better than .500 any given year, and their performance metrics more or less match that, but they always seem to be an upset alert special.

In Wisconsin's case, PSU/Mich vs OSU/Mich could be a wash. Their advantage in a best case scenario for Nebraska is they have Rutgers while we get Michigan St. Given I don't think a lot of Michigan St on a year to year basis and that is a late season home game for Nebraska, even this is plausible. On the other side we're talking something like 10-2 at this point playing a lot of young guys and experienced players still doing a lot of learning. It's sometimes not a question if you can win vs Team A but that you can lose to Team B. Wisconsin simply is less likely to trip up.

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, brophog said:

We know the opposition in division isn't strong, save for a Wisconsin team that Nebraska hung with for 3 quarters last year and whom in general didn't perform great against 3 rather poor Riley teams. Everyone else in the division could be thrown into a grab bag and finish in one of the other spots, even Illinois (at some point playing nothing but youth may pay off).

Nebraska plausibly could run the division, even with just the median performance jumps one would expect from a first year staff. The bar simply isn't set that high. Need to get lucky with injuries, and need some surprises in crossover games. That could happen. 

So it’s wide open and Nebraska COULD win it? Perfect. Glad we’re in agreement, bud. 

• Plus1 1

The whole "the west is bad argument" doesn't apply to Wisconsin this fall. They will be loaded with probably their best team since Russell Wilson was there. Let's not forget that this is a team that went 13-1 last year, won the Orange Bowl and came close to beating Ohio State in the Big 10 title game and making the playoff. 

Oh, and they return their entire offensive line and one of the best running backs in the country. And they'll probably finish with a top 15 defense again. Nebraska may be able to beat Wisconsin in 2019 and beyond. They aren't going to beat the Badgers in Madison this fall. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Hans Gruber said:

The whole "the west is bad argument" doesn't apply to Wisconsin this fall. They will be loaded with probably their best team since Russell Wilson was there. Let's not forget that this is a team that went 13-1 last year, won the Orange Bowl and came close to beating Ohio State in the Big 10 title game and making the playoff. 

Oh, and they return their entire offensive line and one of the best running backs in the country. And they'll probably finish with a top 15 defense again. Nebraska may be able to beat Wisconsin in 2019 and beyond. They aren't going to beat the Badgers in Madison this fall. 

Wisconsin went 13-1 against 63rd ranked strength of schedule. So, that record is not all that impressive. Maybe Nebraska won't win in Madison, but it is not ridiculous to believe that they could. I didn't make some bold prediction that Nebraska was going to win the West. I simply used a turn of a phrase (something the brain surgeons on this board don't seem to understand) to suggest that it is possible that Nebraska could win the West. 

4 hours ago, California Husker said:

Wisconsin went 13-1 against 63rd ranked strength of schedule. So, that record is not all that impressive. Maybe Nebraska won't win in Madison, but it is not ridiculous to believe that they could. I didn't make some bold prediction that Nebraska was going to win the West. I simply used a turn of a phrase (something the brain surgeons on this board don't seem to understand) to suggest that it is possible that Nebraska could win the West. 

Despite that No. 63 ranked schedule, advanced rankings (i.e. Sagarin had them at No. 7) looked at Wisconsin as a very, very good team.  Winning 13 games isn't easy.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, California Husker said:

lol. No one thought you were saying Nebraska was going to win the West. You still need to relax.

"There's no reason Nebraska can't win the West."

There's also no reason Indiana can't win the East.

It's basically the least bold statement a person can make. There are also lots of reasons for every team for why they won't win the division. Another not bold statement that seemed to inflame you for some reason.

• Plus1 1