Expectations for 2018 beyond W/L

Put your win/loss expectations aside for just a moment in time.  Pretend none of that matters, and pretend the scores don't matter either.

What are your non w/l based expectations or wishes for Frost's first season?

I think that first and foremost, i want to see some energy and passion from the players (and HC) on the sidelines.  I remember seeing the sideline during the NIU game - the players could have just been replaced with cardboard cutouts.   Contrast with UCF's sidelines in most games, where they were supporting one another, dancing, staying loose, etc.

My second wish is for leadership to emerge amongst the players.  It just didn't appear we had any team leaders last year.  It shouldn't have surprised anyone, because teams tend to take on the personality of the HC, and we know how checked out MR was much of the time.

My third hope is for the conditioning to "take".  I hope I don't have to see another TE bent over, huffing and puffing like a 3 pack a day smoker after a 20 yard route.  Or 2nd half collapses because it's so taxing.

Last, I'll say, I want some grit when the chips are down.  When punched in the mouth, punch back - don't curl up in a fetal position and give up when things aren't going well.  Fight for every inch, even if the score says it won't matter anyway.  . Fight till the end, every practice, every game.

I think if my wishes come true, the W/L will naturally align.

Your turn.

• Plus1 2

Simple....to see the team play with a purpose and effort. I think the staff and the players will deliver on both accounts. We have talent and now that we'll have a plan and multiple people making sure the effort is put forth, it should be an exciting year. I'm probably going down for the last time in the Kool-Aid vat but I really feel there are only 3 teams on our schedule that should give us a game if we improve at nothing more than effort with some sensible coaching.

• Plus1 4
25 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Simple....to see the team play with a purpose and effort. I think the staff and the players will deliver on both accounts. We have talent and now that we'll have a plan and multiple people making sure the effort is put forth, it should be an exciting year. I'm probably going down for the last time in the Kool-Aid vat but I really feel there are only 3 teams on our schedule that should give us a game if we improve at nothing more than effort with some sensible coaching.

To the bolded part: AMEN!!!!

That's all I have ever wanted out of any Nebraska team: play hard, with passion, and demonstrate that Nebraska work ethic.  Do everything you can, within your control, to be the best.  Spend that extra time in the weight room--squeeze out that one or two extra reps.  And then, give it your all during games.  Effort and intensity can resemble sexual harrassment in that, it can be difficult to quantify and define, but we know it when we see it.

• Plus1 1

Get the special teams to be a facet of the game again and look organized. The defense has the passion to hit somebody and not be afraid of doing it. A D-line that will push guys around instead of play patty cake all day long. A team that is energized, motivated and ready to go. Sometimes you can do everything in your power to win and the team still loses by 20, move on and attack the next day. Never quit, whether it is 60-3 or 42-10 I want to see the team playing hard and I understand mistakes will happen. Penalties might be higher this year and that's okay as long as the player is going at 100 percent.

Also, an attitude change will help this team tremendously. That alone on top of conditioning and proper muscle growth should help this team play to their potential in 2018.  

25 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Get the special teams to be a facet of the game again and look organized. The defense has the passion to hit somebody and not be afraid of doing it. A D-line that will push guys around instead of play patty cake all day long. A team that is energized, motivated and ready to go. Sometimes you can do everything in your power to win and the team still loses by 20, move on and attack the next day. Never quit, whether it is 60-3 or 42-10 I want to see the team playing hard and I understand mistakes will happen. Penalties might be higher this year and that's okay as long as the player is going at 100 percent.

Also, an attitude change will help this team tremendously. That alone on top of conditioning and proper muscle growth should help this team play to their potential in 2018.  

I hope you're right about the special teams.  I watched a few games of UCF's first year under Frost.  I don't know for certain if it was Dewitt coordinating them back then, but woof - whoever it was made FoFiddy seem competent.  Thankfully, year 2, as we know, was much better in all respects, including ST's, or I'd really be concerned.

41 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I hope you're right about the special teams.  I watched a few games of UCF's first year under Frost.  I don't know for certain if it was Dewitt coordinating them back then, but woof - whoever it was made FoFiddy seem competent.  Thankfully, year 2, as we know, was much better in all respects, including ST's, or I'd really be concerned.

Yea the special teams were special for Frosty this year. We have a new kicker that it will take time to get acclimated to the game and its year one, so I will be patient. I am wanting more creativity in the return games and maybe actually trying to block a punt and field goal/extra point. When was the last time we did that? 

Anyway, I am not supposed to put a W/L but an improvement in overall coaching, physicality, and play should warrant us a decent bowl game this year. 

Effort and energy.   Fire and determination.   Power and push.  Hard gang tackling.  Pancake blocks.  Blocking by everybody whether close to the ball or not.  Bodies on the ground on every play.   Scrums almost every series.  Intimidation by NU and not the other way around.  Piles of defenders on top of the ball carrier on nearly every play.  

RBs fighting for the last half yard and breaking tackles and dishing out the punishment as much as they are taking it.  Players don't run out of bounds without hard contact.

4 quarters of relentless Blackshirt defense, score close or not.   Pride and enthusiasm.  Players focused on the game and the circumstances throughout the game with little or no screwing around on the sidelines.    A team with one goal in mind:   to win the dam game every week.  No quit.  No excuses.   

They need to play like their coach did.   

Finally, they need to believe they can and will win if they play their best and never give up on a play or series or the fight.   They need to overcome the odds and let the coaches worry about the fans and strategy, etc.  Just get on the field and play their asses off.  They only have about 30 games, on average, to particpate in for a lifetime so better make the most of every one.

• Plus1 1