Official Depth Chart

Coach Dewitt Tuesday Press

Dewitt speaks real briefly on the purpose of the depth chart...to get it out to the media. All of the coaches, but especially on defense, have been pretty quick to highlight how fluid this depth chart is in terms of all the "or" and guys not listed still getting opportunities. They played a lot of guys in the early games last year before tightening the rotation later in the season and it seems that may happen here, too.

• Plus1 2

I got a giggle from that depth chart. For most the offseason after we got bell and washington a crowd here thought ozigbo would be lucky to make 4th string. More than a few media members did too.

And there he is listed as co starter with bell. 

Maybe, just maybe, he is a better player than some people take him for. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, husker98 said:

Maybe, just maybe, he is a better player than some people take him for. 

This is entirely possible.

I also think it's possible that they are giving him somewhat of a reward for being a senior, working really hard during the offseason, doing everything he can and being a steady and solid (if unspectacular) player.  So he gets the nod on the opening depth chart ahead of a guy who showed up the day before fall camp started and a guy who has been injured - both of whom are true freshmen.

I'll be the first one to admit I was wrong about Oz if he truly is a major contributor this year.  I think he'll get some carries here and there.  But I'm withholding too many accolades until we get a few games into the season and see how the carry distribution is actually shaking out.

Just now, Mavric said:

I also think it's possible that they are giving him somewhat of a reward for being a senior, working really hard during the offseason, doing everything he can and being a steady and solid (if unspectacular) player.  So he gets the nod on the opening depth chart ahead of a guy who showed up the day before fall camp started and a guy who has been injured - both of whom are true freshmen.

I'll be the first one to admit I was wrong about Oz if he truly is a major contributor this year.  I think he'll get some carries here and there.  But I'm withholding too many accolades until we get a few games into the season and see how the carry distribution is actually shaking out.

You and I have been leaders of the Anti-Oz group.  I am with you, in that I will admit I was way wrong if he become a key contributor this year.

What I hope we don't see are posts of "Why isn't Ozigbo getting more carries, he came out of fall camp as the Co-#1 I-back?"  I guess that we will have to wait and see on the production on the group of the I-backs overall.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

yo

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You and I have been leaders of the Anti-Oz group.  I am with you, in that I will admit I was way wrong if he become a key contributor this year.

What I hope we don't see are posts of "Why isn't Ozigbo getting more carries, he came out of fall camp as the Co-#1 I-back?"  I guess that we will have to wait and see on the production on the group of the I-backs overall.

The reservations are entirely justified regarding him.

He isn't perfect, but he is solid and steady. I'm not sure how the carries will shake out, but i get the feeling it will be a reflection of the situations our O is in. Oz will do better in grindy running situations, Bell will do better where we can get out in space and run.

In an ideal world for this offense Bell needs to get the bulk of the carries, but i could see ozigbo getting the bulk if we struggle to get into space and the games turn into grinding slug fests. 

Will be fun to watch and see how it goes.

4 minutes ago, husker98 said:

In an ideal world for this offense Bell needs to get the bulk of the carries, but i could see ozigbo getting the bulk if we struggle to get into space and the games turn into grinding slug fests. 

I think if the games turn into grinding slugfests we are going to be screwed.

• Plus1 2