Seppo won't play in the NFL

Journal Star

Seppo Evwaraye was limited to observing the action last month as the rest of the Carolina Panthers participated in a three-day mini-camp.

Now the Finland native’s hopes of making the NFL team in 2006 have vanished thanks to a rather unlikely culprit — a late-arriving work permit.

“It’s kind of a raw deal,” said the 6-foot-5, 320-pound Evwaraye, an undrafted rookie offensive lineman from Nebraska.

Because Evwaraye’s not a U.S. citizen, he needed a work permit to participate in last month’s mini-camp. Evwaraye said Monday that the Panthers set a May 30 deadline for Evwaraye to have his work permit so he could report on time for the team’s offseason training program, which began May 31.

Although the permit arrived June 1, Carolina already had set its 85-player offseason roster, said Evwaraye, who had agreed to contract terms but was unable to sign.

“I lost out on my signing bonus of $7,500, and $2,500 for summer workout money,” he said. “Plus, I lost out on the opportunity to keep playing football. Even making the practice squad, that would’ve been $85,000 to $90,000 (this year).”

Evwaraye, who started 20 of Nebraska’s last 23 games, said he ultimately was derailed by a snafu in the process to obtain his work permit. Because the University of Nebraska gave him outdated forms, he said, he forwarded the wrong amount of processing money last December — $175 instead of $180, he said — in his initial attempt to obtain the permit.

Evwaraye tried to rectify the problem, re-sending all the forms with the correct fee, but the process “kept dragging on and dragging on,” he said. He even called on Nebraska’s Sen. Chuck Hagel and Rep. Jeff Fortenberry to help expedite the matter, but to no avail.

Evwaraye attended high school in Laurel as a foreign exchange student. He earned his bachelor’s degree last December in communication studies.

Rob Roche, the player’s New Jersey-based agent, said he harbors no ill will toward the Panthers for their handling of the matter.

“They couldn’t execute Seppo’s contract until he had the proper paperwork,” Roche said. “They didn’t cut him; they just didn’t sign him.”

But couldn’t Carolina have signed Evwaraye after his paperwork arrived?

“They had already made their decision before we had the paperwork,” Roche said.

Evwaraye now plans to try his luck in NFL Europe, which begins training camps in January. In the meantime, he’s going to work in Lincoln.

“I have all this down time,” he said. “Truly and honestly, I was mad at the university for quite a while. But I have to get over it. It’s done now. I just started thinking that I’m cursed or something.”

Sounds like he got the raw end of a bad deal. I feel bad for the guy. Just come out of college and have tens of thousands of dollars waiting for you, plus an opportunity to extend your football career.

i believe if he goes back to europe, this is the team he'll be playing for about a year or so.

in finland, military service is compulsory. seppo has had a couple of deferals already to complete his education but he's gonna have to make a choice: either he's an american and he cuts ties with his homeland or he's a dual citizen and tries to carryout his responsiblities to both countries.